Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old Style Entry Door

I need to replace our back door and want something like what I have now; a solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at face level.. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, but square is fine, too.)

I've searched on the Internet, had a remodeler out to bid on it, and looked at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these days seem to have large windows, generally of ornate glass that you can't really see through that well. I just want a small, clear window that someone can't break out and climb through.

Does anyone know of a source for such things?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 1:40*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I need to replace our back door and want something like what I have now; a solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at face level. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, but square is fine, too.)

I've searched on the Internet, had a remodeler out to bid on it, and looked at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these days seem to have large windows, generally of ornate glass that you can't really see through that well. I just want a small, clear window that someone can't break out and climb through.

Does anyone know of a source for such things?

The name for what you want is a speakeasy. Google Shopping or Images
for “door with speakeasy” or just plain “speakeasy”. Unless you’re
willing to cut your own window I don’t think you’re going to be able
to find one with that exact configuration. Is there any particular
reason the window has to be that exact way?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 1:40*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I need to replace our back door and want something like what I have now; a solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at face level. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, but square is fine, too.)

I've searched on the Internet, had a remodeler out to bid on it, and looked at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these days seem to have large windows, generally of ornate glass that you can't really see through that well. I just want a small, clear window that someone can't break out and climb through.

Does anyone know of a source for such things?

The name for what you want is a speakeasy. Google Shopping or Images
for “door with speakeasy” or just plain “speakeasy door”. Unless
you’re willing to cut your own window I don’t think you’re going to be
able to find one with that exact configuration. Is there any
particular reason the window has to be that exact way?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:52:28 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown
wrote:

On Jun 12, 1:40Â*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I need to replace our back door and want something like what I have now; a solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at face level. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, but square is fine, too.)

I've searched on the Internet, had a remodeler out to bid on it, and looked at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these days seem to have large windows, generally of ornate glass that you can't really see through that well. I just want a small, clear window that someone can't break out and climb through.

Does anyone know of a source for such things?

The name for what you want is a speakeasy. Google Shopping or Images
for €śdoor with speakeasy€ť or just plain €śspeakeasy€ť. Unless youre
willing to cut your own window I dont think youre going to be able
to find one with that exact configuration. Is there any particular
reason the window has to be that exact way?

Any GOOD door and window installation company can do it for you.
You won't get it from a Big Box store.
In my area I know at least 4 places I could get either wood, steel, or
fiberglass slab doors with the diamond window installed. Plain glass,
or bevelled edge.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/12/2012 3:52 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Jun 12, 1:40 pm, wrote:
I need to replace our back door and want something like what I
have now; a solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at

face level. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like
a diamond, but square is fine, too.)

The name for what you want is a speakeasy....

Strictly speaking, that isn't...a speakeasy traditionally is an opening
not just a small lite. There is a name; it doesn't come to me the word
I'm looking for at the moment.

I'm surprised they aren't in stock; I suppose things come and go out of
style and they're currently out. I bought one at Lowes for the basement
when replaced original in house in TN in basement off the floor of
precisely OP's quest. Of course, that was 20 yr or more ago now...

To OP--assuming you're in a place of any size at all there should be at
least one or more local manufacturers of fiberglass and/or metal doors
that can easily do what you want. Wood may be harder to find but it
isn't that hard to do if are relatively handy in a slab. Have a glass
shop make the double pane or adapt one from the aforementioned door
shops for the purpose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 3:40*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I need to replace our back door and want something like what I have now; a solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at face level. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, but square is fine, too.)

I've searched on the Internet, had a remodeler out to bid on it, and looked at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these days seem to have large windows, generally of ornate glass that you can't really see through that well. I just want a small, clear window that someone can't break out and climb through.

Does anyone know of a source for such things?

Just get a solid wood door and have a carpenter insert whatever size
window you want where ever you want it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/12/2012 3:40 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I need to replace our back door and want something like what I have
now; a solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side
up at face level. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it
looks like a diamond, but square is fine, too.)

I've searched on the Internet, had a remodeler out to bid on it,
and looked at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these
days seem to have large windows, generally of ornate glass that you
can't really see through that well. I just want a small, clear
window that someone can't break out and climb through.

Does anyone know of a source for such things?

You mean like this?

http://www.menards.com/main/mastercr.../p-1652488.htm

or http://tinyurl.com/6nz86xh
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:23:18 AM UTC-4, Hell Toupee wrote:
On 6/12/2012 3:40 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I need to replace our back door and want something like what I have
now; a solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side
up at face level. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it
looks like a diamond, but square is fine, too.)

I've searched on the Internet, had a remodeler out to bid on it,
and looked at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these
days seem to have large windows, generally of ornate glass that you
can't really see through that well. I just want a small, clear
window that someone can't break out and climb through.

Does anyone know of a source for such things?

You mean like this?

http://www.menards.com/main/mastercr.../p-1652488.htm

or http://tinyurl.com/6nz86xh

Thank you, that's exactly what I need. The great thing about this group is that there's always someone out there who has the answer you need.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 4:40*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I need to replace our back door and want something like what I have now; a solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at face level. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, but square is fine, too.)

I've searched on the Internet, had a remodeler out to bid on it, and looked at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these days seem to have large windows, generally of ornate glass that you can't really see through that well. I just want a small, clear window that someone can't break out and climb through.

Does anyone know of a source for such things?

I see that you've been given a link to a door that fits your needs,
but I think you should try other places besides the big box stores.

For example, I bought my ThermaTru door through a Norandex-Reynolds
dealer for a better rpice than I could hav ever gotten at a big box
store.

The window options are extensive.

For example, we were able to choose a door with windows that no one
could crawl through and provides lots of privacy yet has sections of
clear glass so that we can look out if we want.

For example, this door has many options for glass that allows for
clear sections:

http://www.thermatru.com/products/en...el-s289/go:dl/

Entry door Sasha Woodworking 3 May 30th 10 07:11 PM
Replacing entry door only - no prehung door woods[_2_] Home Repair 8 May 2nd 09 03:00 PM
Child door locks for entry door crust Home Repair 8 June 30th 08 06:04 PM
Door Entry System - Aluminium Door John UK diy 8 October 30th 07 10:04 PM
entry door Tony Pacc Home Repair 3 July 28th 06 07:42 PM