Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old Style Entry Door

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:52:28 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown
wrote:

On Jun 12, 1:40Â*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I need to replace our back door and want something like what I have now; a solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at face level. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, but square is fine, too.)

I've searched on the Internet, had a remodeler out to bid on it, and looked at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these days seem to have large windows, generally of ornate glass that you can't really see through that well. I just want a small, clear window that someone can't break out and climb through.

Does anyone know of a source for such things?

The name for what you want is a speakeasy. Google Shopping or Images
for €śdoor with speakeasy€ť or just plain €śspeakeasy€ť. Unless youre
willing to cut your own window I dont think youre going to be able
to find one with that exact configuration. Is there any particular
reason the window has to be that exact way?

Any GOOD door and window installation company can do it for you.
You won't get it from a Big Box store.
In my area I know at least 4 places I could get either wood, steel, or
fiberglass slab doors with the diamond window installed. Plain glass,
or bevelled edge.