Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default Tire inflator chuck - regular vs lock-on?

I want to buy a tire chuck with pressure gauge for my air compressor to
inflate tires (car and motorcycle). I already have a $10 model from
harborfreight but the gauge is way off.

I'm looking at milton branded chucks and some are "lock-on" chuck. I don't
see any mechanism to activate the lock in product pictures. Does that mean
you screw the chuck onto the valve stem?
Wouldn't the weight of the chuck and the guage put a strain on the valve
stem?

What is the pros and cons of using a lock-on type vs a regular (push-on)
type?

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
I want to buy a tire chuck with pressure gauge for my air compressor to
inflate tires (car and motorcycle). I already have a $10 model from
harborfreight but the gauge is way off.

I'm looking at milton branded chucks and some are "lock-on" chuck. I
don't see any mechanism to activate the lock in product pictures. Does
that mean you screw the chuck onto the valve stem?
Wouldn't the weight of the chuck and the guage put a strain on the valve
stem?

What is the pros and cons of using a lock-on type vs a regular (push-on)
type?

Hi,
Think of it as a clip on. I have boths kind in my garage with
digital/analog gauges. Seldom use them. All my tires on vehicles are
Nitrogen filled. Milton is one of good brand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 08:37:38 -0700, "bob" wrote:

What is the pros and cons of using a lock-on type vs a regular (push-on)
type?

They clip on using the lever. Used for filling tractor - trailer
tires or large tires like farm tractors is easier IMO.

For use around the home a push on is just fine
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2012 11:37 AM, bob wrote:
I want to buy a tire chuck with pressure gauge for my air compressor to
inflate tires (car and motorcycle). I already have a $10 model from
harborfreight but the gauge is way off.

I'm looking at milton branded chucks and some are "lock-on" chuck. I
don't see any mechanism to activate the lock in product pictures. Does
that mean you screw the chuck onto the valve stem?
Wouldn't the weight of the chuck and the guage put a strain on the valve
stem?

What is the pros and cons of using a lock-on type vs a regular (push-on)
type?

Typically it is just a clip you release with your thumb. I don't see any
practical need for it except for obviously a hand pump or a peanut sized
portable pump that takes some time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2012 10:37 AM, bob wrote:
I want to buy a tire chuck with pressure gauge for my air compressor to
inflate tires (car and motorcycle). I already have a $10 model from
harborfreight but the gauge is way off.

I'm looking at milton branded chucks and some are "lock-on" chuck. I
don't see any mechanism to activate the lock in product pictures. Does
that mean you screw the chuck onto the valve stem?
Wouldn't the weight of the chuck and the guage put a strain on the valve
stem?

What is the pros and cons of using a lock-on type vs a regular (push-on)
type?

I have both. If you are ever going to have an air tank, you will
appreciate not having to hold the chuck on the tank for 5 minutes. If
you ever have any heavy duty tires to fill up (heavy equipment,
tractors, etc.) then you will appreciate not having to hold the chuck on
the tire for 10-15 minutes. If you every have to do any line testing
such as gas lines, you will appreciate it.

If you ever are in a situation where you have to use a very slow
compressor to fill up a normal tire, you will appreciate it.

Other than those times, a non-locking type is just fine.

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 09:54:19 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Think of it as a clip on. I have boths kind in my garage with
digital/analog gauges. Seldom use them. All my tires on vehicles are
Nitrogen filled. Milton is one of good brand.

Mine are 80% nitrogen filled. Cheaper and works just as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
I want to buy a tire chuck with pressure gauge for my air compressor
to inflate tires (car and motorcycle). I already have a $10 model from
harborfreight but the gauge is way off.

I'm looking at milton branded chucks and some are "lock-on" chuck. I
don't see any mechanism to activate the lock in product pictures.
Does that mean you screw the chuck onto the valve stem?
Wouldn't the weight of the chuck and the guage put a strain on the
valve stem?

What is the pros and cons of using a lock-on type vs a regular
(push-on) type?

Save your money by buying a tire pressure gauge to go with your compressor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 17:27:39 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

bob wrote:
I want to buy a tire chuck with pressure gauge for my air compressor
to inflate tires (car and motorcycle). I already have a $10 model from
harborfreight but the gauge is way off.

I'm looking at milton branded chucks and some are "lock-on" chuck. I
don't see any mechanism to activate the lock in product pictures.
Does that mean you screw the chuck onto the valve stem?
Wouldn't the weight of the chuck and the guage put a strain on the
valve stem?

What is the pros and cons of using a lock-on type vs a regular
(push-on) type?

Save your money by buying a tire pressure gauge to go with your compressor.

I've got to disagree with you there. Mine doesn't have the lock
on it-- but it makes pumping tires 1/4 the work of
'pump-measure-pump-measure'
http://www.amazon.com/Milton-Dual-Ch...dp/B000BMIQ4O/

That Milton replaced one with the gauge on top that broke the first
time I dropped it. his one's been abused for 4 years and just
doesn't quit.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
I want to buy a tire chuck with pressure gauge for my air compressor to
inflate tires (car and motorcycle). I already have a $10 model from
harborfreight but the gauge is way off.

I'm looking at milton branded chucks and some are "lock-on" chuck. I
don't see any mechanism to activate the lock in product pictures. Does
that mean you screw the chuck onto the valve stem?
Wouldn't the weight of the chuck and the guage put a strain on the valve
stem?

What is the pros and cons of using a lock-on type vs a regular (push-on)
type?

Hi,
Think of it as a clip on. I have boths kind in my garage with
digital/analog gauges. Seldom use them. All my tires on vehicles are
Nitrogen filled. Milton is one of good brand.

So if you get a flat tire, do you have to wait for a nitrogen truck to
come and fill your tire? After all, you cant get nitrogen out of a hand
operated tire pump!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

You got the good stuff. I think mine about 79% nitrogen.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Think of it as a clip on. I have boths kind in my garage with
digital/analog gauges. Seldom use them. All my tires on vehicles are
Nitrogen filled. Milton is one of good brand.

Mine are 80% nitrogen filled. Cheaper and works just as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 07:47:38 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You got the good stuff. I think mine about 79% nitrogen.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

Think of it as a clip on. I have boths kind in my garage with
digital/analog gauges. Seldom use them. All my tires on vehicles are
Nitrogen filled. Milton is one of good brand.

Mine are 80% nitrogen filled. Cheaper and works just as well.

I mixed in some old nitrogen left over from the last set of tires.
Seems to be OK though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you reclaim the old nitrogen, or did you release it into the
atmosphere? That stuff can be lethal, if you breathe it in 100%
concentration for more than a second or two. Think of the planet, man!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

You got the good stuff. I think mine about 79% nitrogen.

Mine are 80% nitrogen filled. Cheaper and works just as well.

I mixed in some old nitrogen left over from the last set of tires.
Seems to be OK though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

You got the good stuff. I think mine about 79% nitrogen.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

Think of it as a clip on. I have boths kind in my garage with
digital/analog gauges. Seldom use them. All my tires on vehicles are
Nitrogen filled. Milton is one of good brand.

Mine are 80% nitrogen filled. Cheaper and works just as well.

I mixed in some old nitrogen left over from the last set of tires.
Seems to be OK though.

after some of the O2 in the tire air combines with the rubber,you probably
have over 80% N2 in your tires. ;-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob" wrote in message
I want to buy a tire chuck with pressure gauge for my air compressor to
inflate tires (car and motorcycle). I already have a $10 model from
harborfreight but the gauge is way off.

I'm looking at milton branded chucks and some are "lock-on" chuck. I don't
see any mechanism to activate the lock in product pictures. Does that mean
you screw the chuck onto the valve stem?
Wouldn't the weight of the chuck and the guage put a strain on the valve
stem?

What is the pros and cons of using a lock-on type vs a regular (push-on)
type?

I have about six in my little rack of inflators. I like two. The first,
one of the lock on types. I like it because you don't have to push it on
and hold it on, something my worn hands have difficulty doing sometimes,
depending on how accessible the valve is, and how obscured it is by the rim.
I like it that it just stays there, and you pop it off when it looks full.
The second I like is about eight inches long, and has two openings. This
one is VERY useful at times when it is difficult to reach the valve with the
short one, and get it straight enough so that any measurable amount of air
actually goes in there. And, well, there's the third, a Milton, with the
squeeze handle, and the psi gauge. On that one, there is also a two way
valve, which I find easier to use than one with a longer rubber hose that
may be hard to put on the valve and keep on there with a seal so the air
doesn't dome back out.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote

Typically it is just a clip you release with your thumb. I don't see any
practical need for it except for obviously a hand pump or a peanut sized
portable pump that takes some time.

The practical use for it is that you don't have to stand there and press
hard on it. Also, at times when the valve is at the twelve o'clock position
on the car, and because of the fender well, it is difficult to access and
press on any filler end.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

bob wrote:
[...]

That one is my favorite, next to the clip on one. I like the two way head
so you can press it on there easier than if it just had one opening.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...on-700678-.htm
nblily wrote:

bob wrote:

I want to buy a tire chuck with pressure gauge for my air compressor to
inflate tires (car and motorcycle). I already have a $10 model from
harborfreight but the gauge is way off.

I'm looking at milton branded chucks and some are "lock-on"
chuck. I don't
see any mechanism to activate the lock in product pictures. Does that
mean
you screw the chuck onto the valve stem?
Wouldn't the weight of the chuck and the guage put a strain on the valve

stem?

What is the pros and cons of using a lock-on type vs a regular (push-on)

type?

we have many kind of tire chuck, low price. and you can find every tire
chuck.

-------------------------------------
/^-----^
V o o V
| Y |
Q /
/ -

| )
|| (___====
air chuck,valve extension,dual head chuck,good quality, cnyjqp.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You got the good stuff. I think mine about 79% nitrogen.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

Think of it as a clip on. I have boths kind in my garage with
digital/analog gauges. Seldom use them. All my tires on vehicles are
Nitrogen filled. Milton is one of good brand.

Mine are 80% nitrogen filled. Cheaper and works just as well.

I mixed in some old nitrogen left over from the last set of tires.
Seems to be OK though.

I just throw some fertilizer with a high nitrogen concentration into
the tire before I mount it. That way it has a lifetime supply.