Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to clean up a badly peeling deck before painting

Floor sander or pressure washer? Or will both work well?
Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 1:33*pm, frank1492 wrote:
Floor sander or pressure washer? Or will both work well?
* * *Thanks.

Assume you are talking about a wood, not plastic-composite deck. I
would pressure wash and let sit for several days to dry out. Sanding
is drastic and reduces the amount of wood flooring and thus the
strength of the floor. Maybe one time is ok, but not repeatedly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
Floor sander or pressure washer? Or will both work well?
Thanks.

Probably sanding, then use stain (solid color if you like) rather than paint, to
avoid future peeling problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 14:33:31 -0400, frank1492
wrote:

Floor sander or pressure washer? Or will both work well?
Thanks.

Depends. I would use neither one until I knew the material of the
deck. A "floor sander" will or can leave circular swirls in wood. A
pressure washer can damage the wood (if it is wood) causing it damage
if not used judicially.

A hand held orbital sander or belt sander on wood would be a first
consideration. Mine (orbital) worked great on fascia trim. But we
don't know the composition materials of your deck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If I am able to clean it up real good with sanding, I am going to try
oil based stain. (This is pressure-treated wood but is at least 20
years old.) My experience with latex "stains" is that they act just
like paint.