Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck Paint Peeling -- A fix?

Had house painters in last June. By mistake, they "painted" the
outside deck.

The cedar railings actually look fine. They used a different color and
paint for the "deck" deck -- that is the part of the deck you walk on.

The deck has gotten little, if any use since they painted. Indeed, no
one used it for three full weeks after painting, as the house was
vacant.

Anyway, the winter rains came and all the paint on the walking part of
the deck is peeling and coming up in big strips. It will continue to
be damp and rainy here for three or so more months, but is there any
special way I can clean up this mess now?

Obviously, I am thinking scraping and sanding, but that is sort of
tough in the rain. Pressure washing?

Part of the deck is something called "sun wood" doug fir, part is red
cedar and along the sides is Pressure treated fir. Doesn't seem to
matter, all is peeling.

Called the painter, doesn't seem to want to respond.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Had house painters in last June. By mistake, they "painted" the
outside deck.

Do you own a gun? What kind? I know this sounds like an odd question
considering the context, but it's actually a valid question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

The cedar railings actually look fine. They used a different color and
paint for the "deck" deck -- that is the part of the deck you walk on.

The deck has gotten little, if any use since they painted. Indeed, no
one used it for three full weeks after painting, as the house was
vacant.

Anyway, the winter rains came and all the paint on the walking part of
the deck is peeling and coming up in big strips. It will continue to
be damp and rainy here for three or so more months, but is there any
special way I can clean up this mess now?

Very common on decks. It get beat up by the weather and because of the
grain in the wood, it is easy for moisture to get under it. Hopefully, they
used stain, not paint. This is why decks are best left natural.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 6:01*am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

The cedar railings actually look fine. They used a different color and
paint for the "deck" deck -- that is the part of the deck you walk on.

The deck has gotten little, if any use since they painted. Indeed, no
one used it for three full weeks after painting, as the house was
vacant.

Anyway, the winter rains came and all the paint on the walking part of
the deck is peeling and coming up in big strips. *It will continue to
be damp and rainy here for three or so more months, but is there any
special way I can clean up this mess now?

Very common on decks. *It get beat up by the weather and because of the
grain in the wood, it is easy for moisture to get under it. Hopefully, they
used stain, not paint. *This is why decks are best left natural.

Since it's peeling a lot on it's own, I'd first try using a pressure
washer now, when it's already been wet for an extended period. You
have to be careful with how much pressure you use, so as not to raise
the grain on the wood.

Then, if you decide to use something with color again, I'd use a stain
type product, which shouldn't peel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 10:37*pm, wrote:
[...]

Why not file in small claims, it should be less than 50$ and inform
him to fix it now or pay later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since its peeling it is most likely paint, not stain. I'd try slopping down
paint stripper, wait until a break in the weather or cover the deck with a
tarp. This should loosen the paint that isn't already peeling on it own.
Then a very gentle pressure wash or just the garden hose. Nothing holds up
all that well on wood exposed to foot traffic but obviously a stain is a
better choice than paint, it will wear away rather than peel or crack. Use a
good quality water based stain, that will "suck" into the wood even when
damp.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I regret to inform you its a BIG problem, call a few companies get
estimates on stripping, send copies with a registered letter informong
painter either respond or see you in court.

the trouble is the pressure treating makes paint absorbtion spotty.
some will likely never come off.

you might as well get compensated fiancially, know a few people that
painted and had so much grief they replaced all the painted wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff" wrote in message
Since its peeling it is most likely paint, not stain. I'd try slopping
down paint stripper, wait until a break in the weather or cover the deck
with a tarp. This should loosen the paint that isn't already peeling on it
own.

If it is solid stain, it may peel. I've had it happen on my deck after a
couple of years.

Paint Peeling miamicuse Home Repair 15 January 15th 07 08:05 AM
Exterior paint is peeling off pravin Home Repair 3 August 17th 06 10:32 PM
New Paint peeling from drywall? alienz Home Repair 2 November 13th 05 02:44 AM
Peeling Paint on Patio KentishDen UK diy 4 June 30th 05 07:33 AM
help peeling deck Joseph Chong Home Repair 13 April 12th 05 05:19 PM