Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Well Do On Demand Point Of Use Water Heaters Work?

Hi,

How well do on demand point of use water heaters work? I've
seen both mini-tank and tankless listed. They are not cheap but
might be nice where hot water must travel a distance. This site
lists some:

http://www.gotankless.com/point-of-u...er-heater.html

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 May 2012 15:08:36 -0400, "Abby Brown"
wrote:

Hi,

How well do on demand point of use water heaters work? I've
seen both mini-tank and tankless listed. They are not cheap but
might be nice where hot water must travel a distance. This site
lists some:

http://www.gotankless.com/point-of-u...er-heater.html

Thanks,
Gary

Some work great. For example, having POU unit on a water fountains
allows you to have instate hot water for hot chocolate...

Another guide:

http://tanklesswaterheaterguide.com/

Remote BBQ or outdoor sink

Poolhouse or pool shower

Remote bathrooms or hot tubs

To serve as a booster, eliminating long pipe runs, for solar water
heating systems, dishwashers and sanitation
Posted to alt.home.repair

Abby Brown wrote:
Hi,

How well do on demand point of use water heaters work? I've
seen both mini-tank and tankless listed. They are not cheap but
might be nice where hot water must travel a distance. This site
lists some:

http://www.gotankless.com/point-of-u...er-heater.html

This has been worked to death about a dozen times on this group in the last
six months.

Short answer: They don't.

Longer answer, the are horribly expensive. Even more so than one might think
when you consider the necessity of re-wiring two or three parts of your
house. Even more than that if you have to plumb in gas lines.

Conversely, a recirculating hot water system is (moderately) less expensive
to install.and has no parts that will ever need replacing. Probably.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 May 2012 14:34:11 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

This has been worked to death about a dozen times on this group in the last
six months.

Short answer: They don't.

Longer answer, the are horribly expensive. Even more so than one might think
when you consider the necessity of re-wiring two or three parts of your
house. Even more than that if you have to plumb in gas lines.

Conversely, a recirculating hot water system is (moderately) less expensive
to install.and has no parts that will ever need replacing. Probably.

Um, OP is talking about a POU (point of use) unit. They DO work at
specified locations, like under a sink, water fountain, and similar
places, even out side.

How else would prisoners make hot coffee and Ramen noodles...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Abby Brown" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

How well do on demand point of use water heaters work? I've seen both
mini-tank and tankless listed. They are not cheap but might be nice where
hot water must travel a distance. This site lists some:

http://www.gotankless.com/point-of-u...er-heater.html

Thanks,
Gary

Yes, it is nice to have warm/hot water at the end of a long run when you
need it and these point-of-use heaters should do that.

Maybe they do; but the two installations (both multi-sink) that I've seen --
one in a church; the other in a commercial building -- both had problems
requiring service calls to get them working after the initial installation.
Checking more recently, they seem to be OK; but I wouldn't install one
without expecting some problems.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

How well do on demand point of use water heaters work? I've
seen both mini-tank and tankless listed. They are not cheap but
might be nice where hot water must travel a distance. This site
lists some:

http://www.gotankless.com/point-of-u...er-heater.html

The one I have (tankless "3KW") works okay. If I run the water slowly,
it's warm, so we don't have to wash our hands with cold water at the
kitchen sink. It doesn't provided "hot" water on demand. They are susposed
to put in a flow restrictor but we just run the water slowly to get warm
water.

The problem with ours was getting enough electricity to the unit so it
wouldn't trip the breaker on the circuit when the dishwasher or garbage
disposal was operating at the same time. We had to have an electrician
come out and set that up. That added $500 to the cost of the install.

*Gonjah, Do you recall the rate of rise on your unit? I have seen the same
situation a few times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2012 4:27 PM, John Grabowski wrote:
[...]

41 degrees F at 1/2 GPM.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This has been worked to death about a dozen times on this group in
the last six months.

Short answer: They don't.

Longer answer, the are horribly expensive. Even more so than one
might think when you consider the necessity of re-wiring two or
three parts of your house. Even more than that if you have to plumb
in gas lines.

Conversely, a recirculating hot water system is (moderately) less
expensive to install.and has no parts that will ever need replacing.
Probably.

Um, OP is talking about a POU (point of use) unit. They DO work at
specified locations, like under a sink, water fountain, and similar
places, even out side.

How else would prisoners make hot coffee and Ramen noodles...

All the prisoners I ever saw in our jail used a hot plate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This has been worked to death about a dozen times on this group in
the last six months.

Short answer: They don't.

Longer answer, the are horribly expensive. Even more so than one
might think when you consider the necessity of re-wiring two or
three parts of your house. Even more than that if you have to plumb
in gas lines.

Conversely, a recirculating hot water system is (moderately) less
expensive to install.and has no parts that will ever need replacing.
Probably.

Um, OP is talking about a POU (point of use) unit. They DO work at
specified locations, like under a sink, water fountain, and similar
places, even out side.

How else would prisoners make hot coffee and Ramen noodles...

All the prisoners I ever saw in our jail used a hot plate.

Now days they have microwave ovens (new school)

(old school)

Be careful. They can attach the metal bed to the wires. You can die.

Heating water, using a "stinger".

Based on a travel water heater.

http://www.carkettle.net/wp-content/uploads/travel-water-heating-element.jpg

stolen chow hall spoons
pop cycle sticks or insulator
string
access to electrical power
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 2:08*pm, "Abby Brown" wrote:
Hi,

How well do on demand point of use water heaters work? *I've
seen both mini-tank and tankless listed. *They are not cheap but
might be nice where hot water must travel a distance. *This site
lists some:

* *http://www.gotankless.com/point-of-u...er-heater.html

Thanks,
Gary

My small gas Bosch works great , a hot shower in winter with cold
incoming without the heater on high, the instal isn't easy and most
don't follow the rules, and a few here don't have one but put them
down. You have to measure gas flow with all competing appliances on
and figure in a 15% or so drop in flow the gas company may give you on
the coldest days, you need to know how cold your incoming water is in
winter to know the rise you will get. I've been in many countries
where tankless is normal, here you don't have installers that are
familiar . I did most the instal myself so it was cheaper.