Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water pipe replacement question

On Sat, 26 May 2012 16:10:32 -0700 (PDT), Ook
wrote:

I have city water from a water meter at the sidewalk. A 3/4" metal
buried pipe runs straight into the basement from the meter. It is
maybe a 25 foot straight run from sidewalk to house. It tees off and
goes around the house, feeding faucets at three corners. Maybe 150
feet total. Somewhere along the 150 feet run is a leak. Part of this
is under a 20 foot cement slab, plus it goes under a sidewalk,
terminates at a faucet coming up through a small cement slab.

I don't know nothin' but in this day and age, is there no tool to find
your leak before you dig. They invent new stuff all the time.

How deep is the pipe? Is the dirt wet some place? Can you hammer a
rod, (steel or maybe wood, pointed maybe, thin maybe) into the dirt
and see if it comes out wet, like using a straw to tell if a cake is
done yet)?

Can you call the city water department and ask how they find leaks?
Ask if they can do it for you. If not, ask if they can tell you a
private plumber who will do it, or what words to use when shopping.
He can find the leak and you can do the digging, etc. Just tell him
upfront what you are hiring him for. And read whatever you sign.

Have you called Miss Utility, or whateve they call it there, to have
them mark your electric, gas, phone, etc. to make sure you don't
pierce or cut other utilities when you probe or dig? It's free.

P&M

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

[...]

I live in rural Oregon. No one out here has leak detection equipment.
I did talk to the water department and they bluntly told me it wasn't
there problem, go fix it myself and don't bug them about it. I talked
to a few plumbers, and the only outfits with acoustic leak detectors
are in the city, and it would cost more to have them come here to find
a leak than to just replace the pipes
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 May 2012 17:06:45 -0700 (PDT), Ook
wrote:

[...]

I guess this company advertises fairly often, but last night I really
notice that they were saying, "Let us inspect your ppes with a camera
instead of a back-hoe." I'm sure they were rerferring to drain
pipes, not supply pipes, but it was still a coincidence and an example
of how people notice whatever is current in their lives.