Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Huge venetian blind

In my little brick bungalow in a midwest US city, I've got an old
style (~1954) venetian blind measuring about 8' wide and 6' tall,
and with many years encrusted grime. Seems to be made of metal,
maybe aluminum.

I can't figure how to clean it. It's too big for the bathtub. I
can't find a space on an exterior wall with ready water supply
to clean it outside.

It costs about $60 to have it cleaned if I drop it off. Another
$65 if they pick it up.

Do they have reasonably priced plastic blinds to replace such
large blinds? I tried HD web site, couldn't even find sizes
listed (dunno why).

Any info, suggestions etc much appreciated.

Will
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2012 3:48 PM, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

In my little brick bungalow in a midwest US city, I've got an old
style (~1954) venetian blind measuring about 8' wide and 6' tall,
and with many years encrusted grime. Seems to be made of metal,
maybe aluminum.

I can't figure how to clean it. It's too big for the bathtub. I
can't find a space on an exterior wall with ready water supply
to clean it outside.

Couldn't you just tackle it with some 409 and a soft brush? Otherwise,
what about buying a cheap kiddie pool, filling it with soapy water,
and dropping the blind in there for a few hours? Let it soak, spread
it open on the lawn, wipe it down. Repeat if necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2012 4:48 PM, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

In my little brick bungalow in a midwest US city, I've got an old
style (~1954) venetian blind measuring about 8' wide and 6' tall,
and with many years encrusted grime. Seems to be made of metal,
maybe aluminum.

I can't figure how to clean it. It's too big for the bathtub. I
can't find a space on an exterior wall with ready water supply
to clean it outside.

It costs about $60 to have it cleaned if I drop it off. Another
$65 if they pick it up.

Do they have reasonably priced plastic blinds to replace such
large blinds? I tried HD web site, couldn't even find sizes
listed (dunno why).

Any info, suggestions etc much appreciated.

Will

Pressure wash at the car wash. Works great. Spray first with Formula
409 or some such if crud is stuck on. Stand them up with slats vertical
to drain, dry with old towel if fussy about water spots.

I have also laid blinds out on sidewalk or lawn, pre-spray as above,
hose off. Can lay an old sheet under them to keep mud splatters off.

One of my chores as a child was to dust v. blinds with vacuum. Yuck!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/12 4:48 PM, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

In my little brick bungalow in a midwest US city, I've got an old
style (~1954) venetian blind measuring about 8' wide and 6' tall,
and with many years encrusted grime. Seems to be made of metal,
maybe aluminum.

I can't figure how to clean it. It's too big for the bathtub. I
can't find a space on an exterior wall with ready water supply
to clean it outside.

It costs about $60 to have it cleaned if I drop it off. Another
$65 if they pick it up.

Do they have reasonably priced plastic blinds to replace such
large blinds? I tried HD web site, couldn't even find sizes
listed (dunno why).

Any info, suggestions etc much appreciated.

Will

Lowes web site shows a 96 x72 ROLLUP blind, if you don't need tiltable
slats, for mere $20

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 4:42*pm, Retired wrote:
[...]

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...R9672W&la....- Hide quoted text -

I think the car wash idea sounds great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 May 2012 15:48:43 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:

In my little brick bungalow in a midwest US city, I've got an old
style (~1954) venetian blind measuring about 8' wide and 6' tall,
and with many years encrusted grime. Seems to be made of metal,
maybe aluminum.

I can't figure how to clean it. It's too big for the bathtub. I
can't find a space on an exterior wall with ready water supply
to clean it outside.

It costs about $60 to have it cleaned if I drop it off. Another
$65 if they pick it up.

Do they have reasonably priced plastic blinds to replace such
large blinds? I tried HD web site, couldn't even find sizes
listed (dunno why).

Any info, suggestions etc much appreciated.

Will

Come on, be a little creative. Do you have a tree? Clothes lines? There
has to be something in your yard to hang it from. Or buy one of those
blue tarps. A 6x8 is about $5. Lay tarp on lawn, lay blind on it, and
use your hose or a pressure washer. Any day I'd spend $60 to have it
cleaned they can shoot me.

Plastic blinds are pretty crappy and dont last long from what I've seen.

On the other hand, blinds are for blind people, and blind people dont
see dirt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I always hung mine on the clothes line and used the hose -- when
cleaning the older kind of blinds. If you decide to just take it down
and get new model, be sure to call around for best prices and ask
friends/neighbors for recommendations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It costs about $60 to have it cleaned if I drop it off. Another
$65 if they pick it up.

Made of zinc. Pay the $60 to have it done. It would take you 2 - 3
hours or longer to do it, properly, yourself.

That size blind is a fairly rare collectors item. Even if you replace
it with a newer blind, for your window, consider keeping it as a
collectible.

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wilfred,

Unlike the other respondents, I think your problem is the lack of water,
no outside tap. First thing would be to ask friends whether they have an
outside tap and a hose. You may need to supply beer.
If you are truly tapless, some kitchen faucets are threaded. Buy an
adapter to fit a garden hose.
If this is your house perhaps you should install an outside tap. This
isn't a big DIY project.

Dave M.
"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in message

In my little brick bungalow in a midwest US city, I've got an old
style (~1954) venetian blind measuring about 8' wide and 6' tall,
and with many years encrusted grime. Seems to be made of metal,
maybe aluminum.

I can't figure how to clean it. It's too big for the bathtub. I
can't find a space on an exterior wall with ready water supply
to clean it outside.

It costs about $60 to have it cleaned if I drop it off. Another
$65 if they pick it up.

Do they have reasonably priced plastic blinds to replace such
large blinds? I tried HD web site, couldn't even find sizes
listed (dunno why).

Any info, suggestions etc much appreciated.

Will

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 May 2012 15:48:43 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

In my little brick bungalow in a midwest US city, I've got an old
style (~1954) venetian blind measuring about 8' wide and 6' tall,

Do they have reasonably priced plastic blinds to replace such
large blinds?

aluminum: http://www.blinds.com/control/product/productID,8825

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in message

In my little brick bungalow in a midwest US city, I've got an old
style (~1954) venetian blind measuring about 8' wide and 6' tall,
and with many years encrusted grime. Seems to be made of metal,
maybe aluminum.

I can't figure how to clean it. It's too big for the bathtub. I
can't find a space on an exterior wall with ready water supply
to clean it outside.

It costs about $60 to have it cleaned if I drop it off. Another
$65 if they pick it up.

Do they have reasonably priced plastic blinds to replace such
large blinds? I tried HD web site, couldn't even find sizes
listed (dunno why).

Any info, suggestions etc much appreciated.

Hunt around (or if all else fails) buy a section of PVC pipe with a diameter
big enough to hold the blind and let her soak.
If you cut it in half length wise you can both soak and scrub the blind.

We had to treat some fence wood and used that to submerge the wood to get a
full absorption we could not get with a spray or a paint brush.

We found ours at a construction site where they had tossed a section that
had a cracked end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 May 2012 17:06:28 -0400, Norminn wrote:

Pressure wash at the car wash. Works great. Spray first with Formula
409 or some such if crud is stuck on. Stand them up with slats vertical
to drain, dry with old towel if fussy about water spots.

I have also laid blinds out on sidewalk or lawn, pre-spray as above,
hose off. Can lay an old sheet under them to keep mud splatters off.

One of my chores as a child was to dust v. blinds with vacuum. Yuck!

This is something I should have thought of.

I checked out a couple car wash today. Can't figger how to hold
monster blind in place while I blast with power wash.

Worth consideration.

Thanks,
Will
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 7:09*pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012 17:06:28 -0400, Norminn wrote:
Pressure wash at the car wash. *Works great. *Spray first with Formula
409 or some such if crud is stuck on. *Stand them up with slats vertical
to drain, dry with old towel if fussy about water spots.

I have also laid blinds out on sidewalk or lawn, pre-spray as above,
hose off. *Can lay an old sheet under them to keep mud splatters off.

One of my chores as a child was to dust v. blinds with vacuum. *Yuck!

This is something I should have thought of.

I checked out a couple car wash today. Can't figger how to hold
monster blind in place while I blast with power wash.

Worth consideration.

Thanks,
Will

Build a frame from 2 x 4's. Add some hooks to hang the blinds on.

Lay it out at home and screw it together at the car wash, then lean it
against the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got a water tap out back, but I don't have an empty 8 x 6 '
space on the masonry to mount the blind. The wall is full of
windows, wires, garden hose reel, etc.

Will

On Wed, 23 May 2012 08:38:26 -0400, "Dave M." wrote:

Wilfred,

Unlike the other respondents, I think your problem is the lack of water,
no outside tap. First thing would be to ask friends whether they have an
outside tap and a hose. You may need to supply beer.
If you are truly tapless, some kitchen faucets are threaded. Buy an
adapter to fit a garden hose.
If this is your house perhaps you should install an outside tap. This
isn't a big DIY project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Got to be some pipes, or garage door rollers, over head. Bring a couple
length of clothes line.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in message

I checked out a couple car wash today. Can't figger how to hold
monster blind in place while I blast with power wash.

Worth consideration.

Thanks,
Will

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hire local teenagers to do the physical work?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in message

I'da felt the same 30 years ago. Now I'm plenty old and my low back
is like a train wreck. I could spend half the afternoon bending
over the blind and wind up in the hospital.

Thanks,
Will

Posted to alt.home.repair

Who needs empty? The windows, and such, won't
mind a bit of refreshing water. It all gets rained on.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in message
I've got a water tap out back, but I don't have an
empty 8 x 6 ' space on the masonry to mount the
blind. The wall is full of windows, wires, garden
hose reel, etc.

Will

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2012 7:09 PM, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012 17:06:28 -0400, wrote:

Pressure wash at the car wash. Works great. Spray first with Formula
409 or some such if crud is stuck on. Stand them up with slats vertical
to drain, dry with old towel if fussy about water spots.

I have also laid blinds out on sidewalk or lawn, pre-spray as above,
hose off. Can lay an old sheet under them to keep mud splatters off.

One of my chores as a child was to dust v. blinds with vacuum. Yuck!

This is something I should have thought of.

I checked out a couple car wash today. Can't figger how to hold
monster blind in place while I blast with power wash.

Worth consideration.

Thanks,
Will

Bring along an old bath towel or some such, lay towel on ground, lean
the blinds against the wall with slats vertical and standing on towel.
Easier to clean (assuming yours are as dirty as mine were) if you spray
with Formula 409 or similar. Blinds will fly around if the nozzle is
too close, of course, but just need enough pressure to rinse off the
detergent. Let them drain dry, wipe dry if you are really fussy. Good
to stand them in the sun or at least breezy place to let innards dry
well. I have also just laid them on the ground and used a soft scrub
brush (with fuzzy nylon bristles) to clean them, hose off with clean
water and stand 'em up for a while to drain. Lay down a towel or sheet
to keep from scratching or picking up dirt.

Venetian Blind parts John UK diy 2 August 1st 08 07:05 PM
Motorised venetian blind Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 1 May 26th 08 02:45 PM
Repair old venetian blind Puddin' Man Home Repair 1 November 19th 07 01:38 AM
Venetian blind spares s--p--o--n--i--x UK diy 0 March 30th 05 10:42 AM
fixing a venetian blind puller Winslow. Home Repair 5 January 3rd 05 10:24 PM