Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Steel Front Door/Replacing Lockset Questions

On Mon, 14 May 2012 18:31:43 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

If the door has multiple damaged paint layers, it would be best to
remove all hardware and strip all the old paint off, prime with a good
metal primer (not a wood primer) and paint anew. If the existing
paint layers are showing signs of damage, you need to get rid of the
problem/damaged paint.

A dedicated residential metal door would likely have the existing
holes matching one of the typical sizes of locksets and you should
have no problem finding a Baldwin lockset to fit the existing holes,
the set back and the thickness of the door.

Some newer deadbolts have a longer bolt, than older deadbolts, so
maybe your existing hole (into the door jam), for the bolt, would need
to be drilled a bit deeper to accommodate a longer bolt.

The only LIKELY problem, as far as holes go, is where the "tail" of
the latchset bolts to the door - assuming it is a fancy set and not
just a simple knob or handle arrangement. Which is why I said "plug
and finish" the hole. Don't even think about filling and recutting the
big hole where the actual lockset fits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 9:53*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2012 18:31:43 -0700 (PDT), Sonny

* The only LIKELY problem, as far as holes go, is where the "tail" of
the latchset bolts to the door - assuming it is a fancy set and not
just a simple knob or handle arrangement. *Which is why I said "plug
and finish" the hole. Don't even think about filling and recutting the
big hole where the actual lockset fits.

Agreed. I missed seeing Kate's previous thread, so I missed seeing
yours and others' previous comments, as well. *I don't always scan
all the threads.

In the end, hopefully, folks as Kate will learn something, one way or
the other, no matter who's giving the good advice.... and yours was
good advice, as was with others.

Sonny

Painting Front Door/New Door Lockset Kate[_5_] Home Repair 8 May 19th 12 02:23 PM
Painting Steel Front Door/Replacing Lockset Questions Stormin Mormon[_7_] Home Repair 0 May 15th 12 03:14 AM
Alternate method of drilling lockset holes in exterior insulated steel door Martik Home Repair 4 July 19th 06 06:52 PM
Painting Front door yitzak UK diy 17 August 19th 05 08:32 PM
Front door painting! Mike Hibbert UK diy 13 November 20th 04 10:56 PM