Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Self-Clean Range Will Not Work

On Sun, 06 May 2012 13:23:04 -0500, philo wrote:

Check the nameplate of the oven...good chance it needs to be on a 50 amp
circuit.

BTW: Due to the huge power consumption I'd just clean it the old
fashioned way. If you get it nice and clean and are careful with you
cooking...you can get by without cleaning it.

You sound like my wife.

Our over is 12 years old and has never been cleaned...
it's not spotless, but it's not too bad either

Cleaning every few years is not all much of a pain either.

Another thing that is bothering me is that when I was cleaning the
oven yesterday with the easy-off, I laid a wet rag on top of the oven
element (oven switch was off of course) which was cold and it popped
(a short) tripping the breaker too. Scared me. Really, when you
think about it, there should not have been any juice in the element.
So something must be wrong. I tested the oven just now, and all seems
okay as far as heating is concerned.

xiexie

Wei