Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Good source for materials ReStore

If you need stuff for your home you may want to take trip to your
local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

Looks like they get more donations of materials than they can use and
sell the rest. Like most thrift stores you never know what will be
there from day to day.

I've been to the one in Trenton, NJ and it was worth the trip. I had
no immediate projects or needs but wnated to check it out. The place
was filled with useable:
Used furniture
used kitchen cabinets (workshop cabinets)
new kitchen cabinets (save thousands)
new & used vanities
new & used sinks (porcelain & SS)
stacks & stacks of new tile (most was porcelain)
mortar & grout
used tools
used Chandeliers

I will never start a new project w/o going there first and plan to add
it to my cycle of places to visit occasionaly.
While I was there a guy bought a complete set of cabinets including an
island and granite top for $3,000.

check yours out today
http://www.habitat.org/restores/

Get free backup service using Drop Box
Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
Bonus space provided using this link: http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 5/4/2012 9:44 AM, Limp Arbor wrote:

If you need stuff for your home you may want to take trip to your
local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

Looks like they get more donations of materials than they can use and
sell the rest. Like most thrift stores you never know what will be
there from day to day.

Bingo!

Not only do we donate all unused construction materials to Habitat to
Humanity at the end of every project, I also frequent the ReStore
whenever possible just to browse.

Have literally saved thousands of dollars down through they years by
looking there for items, even locally hard to find items, like spec'ed
framing straps and hangers. An example - a couple of years back I found
these new Simpson HBD3 holddowns, specifically spec'ed in the
Engineering plans, for $1/each, about $11 off retail price, saving the
client a considerable sum:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...12195 0249330

Can't recommend Habitat for Humanity, the organization and their
ReStore, highly enough.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 5/4/2012 10:44 AM, Limp Arbor wrote:
If you need stuff for your home you may want to take trip to your
local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

I dunno if this was spam or not but I will respond

I've donated alot of unused or over purchased building materials to
Habitat for Humanity Restores. From appliances to drywall to hardwood
flooring to sheathing to mouldings to fixtures.

The stores in my county sell it to the public then take the money to
build a new homes for those families who qualify. The law in Ontario,
from my understanding, is they cannot build brand new homes without
using brand new materials, so Habitat sells the donated materials to
guys like us then uses the money for their charitable work. Maybe
elsewhere they are allowed to use used materials in the construction of
homes....

It helps that I get a charitable tax receipt from the Canadian
Government as well that usually exceeds what I could get from selling to
lowballers on craigslist so see if you can get a tax receipt or if HfH
is a charity in your part of the world.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On May 4, 11:22*am, Duesenberg wrote:
On 5/4/2012 10:44 AM, Limp Arbor wrote: If you need stuff for your home you may want to take trip to your
local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

I dunno if this was spam or not but I will respond

No, not spam.

I've donated alot of unused or over purchased building materials to
Habitat for Humanity Restores. * From appliances to drywall to hardwood
flooring to sheathing to mouldings to fixtures.

The stores in my county sell it to the public then take the money to
build a new homes for those families who qualify. *The law in Ontario,
from my understanding, is they cannot build brand new homes without
using brand new materials, ...

Is this just for charities like HfH? I would think re-using lumber,
brick, etc. would be encouraged instead of burying it somewhere.

Get free backup service using Drop Box
Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
Bonus space provided using this link: http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On May 4, 10:44*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
[...]

BTDT

I recently bought an interior door for the "apartment" my son occupies
in the basement of a friend's house. [OK, it's a bedroom and a
bathroom, but it's *his* bathroom. ;-) ]

They wanted $20 for the door slab, $10 for the hinges and lever style
handle set.

After finding a door, I saw a jamb set wrapped in plastic over in a
corner. I asked the guy how much he wanted for it and he said "Just
take it."

$30 total...way cheaper than a home center.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On May 4, 10:44*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
If you need stuff for your home you may want to take trip to your
local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

My local ReStore is way too proud of their crap. It's been a waste of
time, every time.

I dropped them from the charities to which we donate. The kicker was
a $175.00 (ONE HUNDRED SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLARS) 30 year old tiny electric
clothes dryer.

YMMV.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/4/2012 10:51 AM, Limp Arbor wrote:
On May 4, 11:22 am, wrote:

The stores in my county sell it to the public then take the money to
build a new homes for those families who qualify. The law in Ontario,
from my understanding, is they cannot build brand new homes without
using brand new materials, ...

Is this just for charities like HfH? I would think re-using lumber,
brick, etc. would be encouraged instead of burying it somewhere.

I don't know about Canadian Code or other reg's on the subject but my
take from some builds in the past is at least in the States it's a
question of the logistics. The HfH builds are a modified "fast-build"
thing and pretty much standardized. Trying to work in random bits and
pieces of stuff from donations simply doesn't fit the model and would
take far more time (and in the end time is money even for nonprofits)
than it saves. So, the stores are the recycling project and essentially
a continual fundraiser.

There's a local nonprofit here w/ a differing route to the same goal of
affordable housing--it takes old houses in the original part of the town
and if feasible refurbs them completely (altho in some cases has had to
demolish and rebuild when repair costs were just beyond all reason
compared to end value) also w/ the new owner labor buy-in and a
combination of volunteer and contracted labor.

In those since they're one-of-a-kind anyway, we have both
salvaged/refinished/repaired original materials as well as used/salvage
from HfH or other sources. But, none of these are a quick-build
process, even the new construction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 May 2012 07:44:24 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor
wrote:

[...]

I donate and shop there all the time. Good deal for all.