Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Best height for lawnmower handle?

Just got done mowing my lawn, 1/2 acre land, takes about 50 minutes.
While I was daydreaming, I wondered what is the correct/preferred
setting of the handlebar. Ski poles are supposed to be at elbow
height, for example.
Anyone here have strong opinions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 5:20*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
Just got done mowing my lawn, 1/2 acre land, takes about 50 minutes.
While I was daydreaming, I wondered what is the correct/preferred
setting of the handlebar. *Ski poles are supposed to be at elbow
height, for example.
Anyone here have strong opinions?

I would think whatever is comfortable for you. If you can't find the
perfect place, make it a little lower. Making it lower will help if
you trip/slip. Lower you may be more inclined to fall ON IT, rather
than UNDER it.

Hank ~~~~ always thinks safety first
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 4:58*pm, Hank wrote:
On Apr 21, 5:20*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Just got done mowing my lawn, 1/2 acre land, takes about 50 minutes.
While I was daydreaming, I wondered what is the correct/preferred
setting of the handlebar. *Ski poles are supposed to be at elbow
height, for example.
Anyone here have strong opinions?

I would think whatever is comfortable for you. If you can't find the
perfect place, make it a little lower. Making it lower will help if
you trip/slip. Lower you may be more inclined to fall ON IT, rather
than UNDER it.

Hank ~~~~ always thinks safety first

Thanks, I just wondered if there were any studies that showed a
particular height was preferred from an ergonometric viewpoint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hank wrote:

Hank ~~~~ always thinks safety first

I saw a kid mowing his lawn yesterday, no safety glasses, no earplugs. I
know myself (and probably everyone here) did exactly the same when they were
young, but man it made me cringe.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 08:54:47 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Hank wrote:

Hank ~~~~ always thinks safety first

I saw a kid mowing his lawn yesterday, no safety glasses, no earplugs. I
know myself (and probably everyone here) did exactly the same when they were
young, but man it made me cringe.

Jon

He was probably wearing sandals too.

Depending on the mower, earplugs may not be such a big factor, but
having something over the eyes is a good idea, if only for the dust
kicked up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 11:54*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Hank wrote:

Hank ~~~~ always thinks safety first

I saw a kid mowing his lawn yesterday, no safety glasses, no earplugs. *I
know myself (and probably everyone here) did exactly the same when they were
young, but man it made me cringe.

Jon

I treated a guy who slipped and his foot went under the mower on level
ground. Lost half his foot. I cringe everytime I see poeple using push
mowers on hills and ditches.

Hank ~~~~ cringes a lot
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:
Hank wrote:

Hank ~~~~ always thinks safety first

I saw a kid mowing his lawn yesterday, no safety glasses, no earplugs. *I
know myself (and probably everyone here) did exactly the same when they were
young, but man it made me cringe.

Jon

I have never used safety glasses or earplugs while mowing a lawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron writes:

On Apr 22, 11:54Â*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Hank wrote:

Hank ~~~~ always thinks safety first

I saw a kid mowing his lawn yesterday, no safety glasses, no earplugs. Â*I
know myself (and probably everyone here) did exactly the same when they were
young, but man it made me cringe.

Jon

I have never used safety glasses or earplugs while mowing a lawn.

How about a helmet?

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:
Hank wrote:

Hank ~~~~ always thinks safety first

I saw a kid mowing his lawn yesterday, no safety glasses, no earplugs. *I
know myself (and probably everyone here) did exactly the same when they were
young, but man it made me cringe.

Jon

I have never used safety glasses or earplugs while mowing a lawn.

How about a helmet?

Only when I lawnmower race G
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hank wrote:

Hank ~~~~ always thinks safety first

I saw a kid mowing his lawn yesterday, no safety glasses, no earplugs. I
know myself (and probably everyone here) did exactly the same when they were
young, but man it made me cringe.

Jon

I have never used safety glasses or earplugs while mowing a lawn.

I should wear ear plugs. I notice the effect when I turn the rider off.
When I use the push mower, it's always in a dangerous condition, on a
hillside. Either pulling or pushing with my belly.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hank wrote:

Hank~~~~ always thinks safety first

I saw a kid mowing his lawn yesterday, no safety glasses, no earplugs. I
know myself (and probably everyone here) did exactly the same when they were
young, but man it made me cringe.

Jon

I have never used safety glasses or earplugs while mowing a lawn.

me neither. i do have an ipod shuffle attached to my fullsized headphones.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 9:07 pm, Dan Espen wrote:

How about a helmet?

--
Dan Espen

Good idea, Bu8t when you look under it to see about
the funny noise, make sure it doesn't clip one of the
horns off...... Those things are hard to repair......
...........you gotta kill a cow and everything......

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hank wrote:

Hank~~~~ always thinks safety first

I saw a kid mowing his lawn yesterday, no safety glasses, no earplugs. I
know myself (and probably everyone here) did exactly the same when they were
young, but man it made me cringe.

Jon

I have never used safety glasses or earplugs while mowing a lawn.

How about a helmet?

Armored spacesuit? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

But, if just one life could be saved.....
Think of the children.....
It's for your own good......
Europe has been doing this for generation......
It's from the government.......

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I have never used safety glasses or earplugs while mowing a lawn.

How about a helmet?

Armored spacesuit? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

@Stormin: Americans don't like to be told what to do - even if it will help save the planet for their kids & grandchildren! And then they go to church, lol.

As far as push mower handle height, I keep mine at shoulder level - keeps me from leaning fwd!