Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT 15 April Titanic.

One hundred years ago today (15 April) the Titanic sank.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic..._commemoration
Almost 3/4 of the passengers were drowned including several American
millionaires.
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

One hundred years ago today (15 April) the Titanic sank.

I thought it was too big to sink.

Almost 3/4 of the passengers were drowned including several
American millionaires.

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to make
ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.

Weren't there enough bathtubs in the staterooms that could have been
used as one-person mini-boats?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 08:28:54 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

harry wrote:

One hundred years ago today (15 April) the Titanic sank.

I thought it was too big to sink.

Almost 3/4 of the passengers were drowned including several
American millionaires.

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to make
ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.

Weren't there enough bathtubs in the staterooms that could have been
used as one-person mini-boats?

I can possibly agree with the wood theory, but removing tubs, plugging
drain holes and getting them launched is quite the fantasy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I can possibly agree with the wood theory, but removing tubs, plugging
drain holes and getting them launched is quite the fantasy.

Weren't the tubs of the time heavy metal things that probably would have
just sunk like a rock anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to
make ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.

The ship was carrying lots of cargo, so I'm sure there would have been
lots of wood crates, etc.

Weren't there enough bathtubs in the staterooms that could have
been used as one-person mini-boats?

I can possibly agree with the wood theory, but removing tubs,
plugging drain holes and getting them launched is quite the
fantasy.

I'm sure the tubs had plugs or stoppers as standard equipment.

And I'm sure there were plenty of axes and other tools on a ship like
that.

And I think the staterooms were on the upper levels of the ship (not far
below decks).

And I think there was enough time to hack or break out the tubs (didn't
the ship take more than 2 hours to sink?).

And - I would think there would have been enough life-or-death
motivation to make all this happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 10:12*am, Home Guy wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

most passengers didnt believe there was real danger, after all it was
advertised as unsinkable, and it went down fast.

recent news said most passengers thought it was safer to stay onboard
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 10:12:03 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Wow, if only you were aboard, no lives would have been lost.
Considering this took place 100 years ago and you've never seen the
ship, you sure made a lot of suppositions. What wee the tubs made
from? Used to be cast iron, but on the ship, I have no idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Home Guy wrote:

How exactly do bodies become "badly damaged" after being in cold water -
for only 3 days?

My guess would be badly damaged as in torn apart and traumatized. Other
wise they probably would have been talking about decomposition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
One hundred years ago today (15 April) the Titanic sank.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic..._commemoration
Almost 3/4 of the passengers were drowned including several American
millionaires.

Eighty-five percent of the women and children survived; seventy-five percent
of the men were lost.

It was a different time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

One hundred years ago today (15 April) the Titanic sank.

I thought it was too big to sink.

Almost 3/4 of the passengers were drowned including several
American millionaires.

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to make
ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.

You do know the water is rather chilly in the N. Atlantic in April?

Weren't there enough bathtubs in the staterooms that could have been
used as one-person mini-boats?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 08:28:54 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to make
ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.

"...At 2.20 am, it sank, breaking loose from the bow section. The
remaining passengers and crew were plunged into lethally cold water
with a temperature of only 28 °F (-2 °C). Almost all of those in the
water died of hypothermia or cardiac arrest within minutes or drowned"

A floatation aid wouldn't help....
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to
make ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.

You do know the water is rather chilly in the N. Atlantic in April?

Yes - hence the point about using any available materials or objects to
make a raft or floation aid to stay above the water.

Including ripping out any handy bathtubs...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to
make ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.

Almost all of those in the water died of hypothermia or cardiac
arrest within minutes or drowned"

A floatation aid wouldn't help....

Have you seen what the inside of that ship looked like?

They must have used several forests worth of wood.

Last I heard, wood floats...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
In article , Home Guy wrote:

How exactly do bodies become "badly damaged" after being in cold water -
for only 3 days?

My guess would be badly damaged as in torn apart and traumatized. Other
wise they probably would have been talking about decomposition.

Lots of hungry fish in the sea.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2012 9:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 08:28:54 -0400, Home wrote:

harry wrote:

One hundred years ago today (15 April) the Titanic sank.

I thought it was too big to sink.

Almost 3/4 of the passengers were drowned including several
American millionaires.

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to make
ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.

Weren't there enough bathtubs in the staterooms that could have been
used as one-person mini-boats?

I can possibly agree with the wood theory, but removing tubs, plugging
drain holes and getting them launched is quite the fantasy.

The comment did come from someone who lives in fantasy land...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Home Guy wrote:

They must have used several forests worth of wood.

Last I heard, wood floats...

But you need to not only float but to stay out of the water. How
would you go about doing that? Besides, it sank within 3 hours (~2:45
IIRC). Who would you pull off of manning lifeboats to get all this
stuff? How would you move it from the hold, especially with many of the
decks already flooded? How is all this supposed to happen in the small
time frame?

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

One hundred years ago today (15 April) the Titanic sank.

I thought it was too big to sink.

Almost 3/4 of the passengers were drowned including several
American millionaires.

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to make
ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.

Weren't there enough bathtubs in the staterooms that could have been
used as one-person mini-boats?

I can possibly agree with the wood theory, but removing tubs, plugging
drain holes and getting them launched is quite the fantasy.

there was plenty of stuff to grab onto not to mention they had on life
vests. The main problem was the 29 degree water. A person only last a
few min at that temp even if they are in good shape.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2012 9:12 AM, Home Guy wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

another major problem is that the situation was downplayed until the
latter minutes and no one actually thought she would sink.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

One hundred years ago today (15 April) the Titanic sank.

I thought it was too big to sink.

Almost 3/4 of the passengers were drowned including several
American millionaires.

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to make
ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.

Weren't there enough bathtubs in the staterooms that could have been
used as one-person mini-boats?

I can possibly agree with the wood theory, but removing tubs, plugging
drain holes and getting them launched is quite the fantasy.

If you're going to drown nothing is out of the question. Would a
bathtub float with a person in it?

There have been studies done on "what they could have done" but
unfortunanly that's Monday morning quarterbacking. I think many believed
it wasn't going to sink, until it did.

One idea was to tie all the deck chairs together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There have been studies done on "what they could have done" but
unfortunanly that's Monday morning quarterbacking. I think many believed
it wasn't going to sink, until it did.

It is difficult to second guess...

One possible solution might have been to remain close to the iceberg, and
find a way to climb aboard the iceberg. I imagine that is not easy but
might be the best alternative. It was the only thing for miles around
floating.

It's a real shame that the wireless (radio) safety rules were not in effect,
there were other ships in the area but their radios were off for the night.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:57:37 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

" wrote:

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to
make ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.

You do know the water is rather chilly in the N. Atlantic in April?

Yes - hence the point about using any available materials or objects to
make a raft or floation aid to stay above the water.

LOL! A raft wouldn't keep them warm.

Including ripping out any handy bathtubs...

No chance of swamping a bathtub, either. What a moron.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:59:40 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Oren wrote:

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to
make ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.

Almost all of those in the water died of hypothermia or cardiac
arrest within minutes or drowned"

A floatation aid wouldn't help....

Have you seen what the inside of that ship looked like?

Only in the movie.

They must have used several forests worth of wood.

Last I heard, wood floats...

Some wood floats better than others.

Have you been in rough 8 foot seas in the North Atlantic?

Maybe they could get some hammers, nails and duct tape in the ship's
gift shop?

You don't build a raft like Huck Finn's in a short time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2012 2:04 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:59:40 -0400, Home wrote:

Oren wrote:

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to
make ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.
Almost all of those in the water died of hypothermia or cardiac
arrest within minutes or drowned"

A floatation aid wouldn't help....

Have you seen what the inside of that ship looked like?

Only in the movie.

I saw parts of it at the Titanic exhibit.

They must have used several forests worth of wood.

Last I heard, wood floats...

Some wood floats better than others.

Have you been in rough 8 foot seas in the North Atlantic?

The sea that night was dead calm.

Maybe they could get some hammers, nails and duct tape in the ship's
gift shop?

You don't build a raft like Huck Finn's in a short time.

True enough but there was lots of material to make quick floatation
devices (and filling the life boats would have helped immensely)

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

You do know the water is rather chilly in the N. Atlantic in
April?

Yes - hence the point about using any available materials or
objects to make a raft or floation aid to stay above the water.

LOL! A raft wouldn't keep them warm.

Including ripping out any handy bathtubs...

No chance of swamping a bathtub, either. What a moron.

LOL yourself.

You'd beat your own mother for a chance to float on the last pile of
wood or in the only bathtub available if it meant saving your own hide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2012 3:14 PM, Home Guy wrote:
" wrote:

You do know the water is rather chilly in the N. Atlantic in
April?
Yes - hence the point about using any available materials or
objects to make a raft or floation aid to stay above the water.

LOL! A raft wouldn't keep them warm.

Including ripping out any handy bathtubs...

No chance of swamping a bathtub, either. What a moron.

LOL yourself.

You'd beat your own mother for a chance to float on the last pile of
wood or in the only bathtub available if it meant saving your own hide.

Where's the "like" button.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:14:05 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

" wrote:

You do know the water is rather chilly in the N. Atlantic in
April?

Yes - hence the point about using any available materials or
objects to make a raft or floation aid to stay above the water.

LOL! A raft wouldn't keep them warm.

Including ripping out any handy bathtubs...

No chance of swamping a bathtub, either. What a moron.

LOL yourself.

You'd beat your own mother for a chance to float on the last pile of
wood or in the only bathtub available if it meant saving your own hide.

Yet all 1500 used your idea to survive. You are really that stupid,
HomeMoron.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

You do know the water is rather chilly in the N. Atlantic in
April?
Yes - hence the point about using any available materials or
objects to make a raft or floation aid to stay above the water.
LOL! A raft wouldn't keep them warm.

Including ripping out any handy bathtubs...
No chance of swamping a bathtub, either. What a moron.

LOL yourself.

You'd beat your own mother for a chance to float on the last pile of
wood or in the only bathtub available if it meant saving your own hide.

Where's the "like" button.

Two peas; no brains.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to
make ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.

Almost all of those in the water died of hypothermia or cardiac
arrest within minutes or drowned"

A floatation aid wouldn't help....

Have you seen what the inside of that ship looked like?

Only in the movie.

They must have used several forests worth of wood.

Last I heard, wood floats...

Some wood floats better than others.

None floats very well. To survive in that environment one has to stay *dry*.

Have you been in rough 8 foot seas in the North Atlantic?

Floating on a pile of garbage?

Maybe they could get some hammers, nails and duct tape in the ship's
gift shop?

You don't build a raft like Huck Finn's in a short time.

....and sail it in the N. Atlantic in April. ...but that's a Canuckistani, for
ya, eh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 14:11:41 -0500, gonjah gonjah.net wrote:

Have you been in rough 8 foot seas in the North Atlantic?

The sea that night was dead calm.

Define "dead calm".

An 8 foot sea swell is calmer than a 25 footer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:56:20 -0500, gonjah gonjah.net wrote:

On 4/14/2012 3:49 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:45:44 -0500, gonjahgonjah.net wrote:

On 4/14/2012 3:41 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:38:00 -0500, gonjahgonjah.net wrote:

" wrote:

You do know the water is rather chilly in the N. Atlantic in
April?
Yes - hence the point about using any available materials or
objects to make a raft or floation aid to stay above the water.
LOL! A raft wouldn't keep them warm.

Including ripping out any handy bathtubs...
No chance of swamping a bathtub, either. What a moron.
LOL yourself.

You'd beat your own mother for a chance to float on the last pile of
wood or in the only bathtub available if it meant saving your own hide.
Where's the "like" button.
Two peas; no brains.
http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Joke

Why? We already have you two. Isn't that enough to turn anyone's stomach?
Apparently, actually reading something before you comment is an option
for you.

I read what you wrote. I have no interest in climbing through any of your
links to who knows where.

Where is that............plonk

Oh, the poor baby announced to the world that he plonked me. I'm *so* sad!
what a dumbass

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:28:35 -0400, "
wrote:

You don't build a raft like Huck Finn's in a short time.

...and sail it in the N. Atlantic in April. ...but that's a Canuckistani, for
ya, eh?

Eh!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2012 3:57 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 14:11:41 -0500, gonjahgonjah.net wrote:

Have you been in rough 8 foot seas in the North Atlantic?

The sea that night was dead calm.

Define "dead calm".

An 8 foot sea swell is calmer than a 25 footer.

g I'm not an expert. I'm a landlubber.

Much calmer than when I went on my cruise to Nassau and half the ship
was sick.

I'll admit I'm going on what little I know about the incident but maybe
"very calm" would be more accurate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:58:02 -0400, "
wrote:

Where is that............plonk

Oh, the poor baby announced to the world that he plonked me. I'm *so* sad!

A Plonkasuarus got me the other day. Was your's a Mormon or a Liberal?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Where is that............plonk

Oh, the poor baby announced to the world that he plonked me. I'm *so* sad!

A Plonkasuarus got me the other day. Was your's a Mormon or a Liberal?

Certainly; moron lefty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Where is that............plonk

Oh, the poor baby announced to the world that he plonked me. I'm *so* sad!

A Plonkasuarus got me the other day. Was your's a Mormon or a Liberal?

I now-have five people in my kf. He should feel honored.

O.T. Titanic. harry Home Repair 31 June 7th 11 11:58 AM
Homemade RC boat Titanic Ignoramus5437 Metalworking 29 November 20th 08 03:28 PM
Did bad rivets cause sinking of Titanic Ignoramus15568 Metalworking 41 May 11th 08 01:24 AM
Titanic News SteveB[_6_] Metalworking 4 April 18th 08 01:10 PM