Posted to alt.home.repair
gonjah gonjah is offline

Default OT 15 April Titanic.

On 4/14/2012 2:04 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:59:40 -0400, Home wrote:

Oren wrote:

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to
make ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.
Almost all of those in the water died of hypothermia or cardiac
arrest within minutes or drowned"

A floatation aid wouldn't help....

Have you seen what the inside of that ship looked like?

Only in the movie.

I saw parts of it at the Titanic exhibit.

They must have used several forests worth of wood.

Last I heard, wood floats...

Some wood floats better than others.

Have you been in rough 8 foot seas in the North Atlantic?

The sea that night was dead calm.

Maybe they could get some hammers, nails and duct tape in the ship's
gift shop?

You don't build a raft like Huck Finn's in a short time.

True enough but there was lots of material to make quick floatation
devices (and filling the life boats would have helped immensely)