Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 38 year old freezer efficiency?

"Doug" wrote in message

stuff snipped

You're right but I like to learn and I'm not afraid of dying.

That's the pioneer spirit that made this country great! (-:

Seriously, though, the Kill-a-watt is exactly the right tool for this

job.
Once you've used one, you'll see.

BTW, I long ago made up a test outlet box with isolated hot and neutral
wires and banana jacks on the side of the outlet box with a bypass switch
that allowed me to use either a clamp-on ammeter or a multimeter "direct
wire" connection. I never use it anymore since I got the Kill-a-watt.

Thanks for the info Bobby. I'll look into it.

You're quite welcome. If you decide you want to make a outlet and cord
"rig" to measure 110VAC amps with your multimeter, let me know and I'll
describe how I made mine for less that $3 and a cord cut off my old A/C.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
On 4/10/2012 8:31 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I have an approximately 38 year old upright freezer. It is working
perfectly. I know door gasket is not as good at it could be, however, it
seems to close pretty tight. It can be real hard to open a 2nd time
after looking for something. But I know there are a lot of square feet
which are acted upon by a very small vacuum. Also, if the unit is not
running, like after a defrost, the magnets in the door gasket are pretty
weak. Anyway, to the question. In your opinions, would it be
advantageous to replace it for a new more efficient unit? How long do
you think it would take it to pay off? BTW, this freezer has survived
being powered off for 4 months and moved 700 miles, approximately 3
years ago. It is a little noisy, but it's been that way for 38 year,
except now it is in a place were I can hear it more.

Thanks to all who answered. I forgot that the Kill-a-Watt meter, which I
have, did cumulative watt-hours and it also give the number of hours that
the data was collected. So, I put it on yesterday afternoon. After 17
hours, it was about 2KWH. We pay 11 cents per KWH. I'll keep you all
posted on the final results.

Finally got all results.

Old fridge 3kwh per day, 11 amps defrost, 3.5 amp compressor, .59 pf, 250
watts compressor

90's fridge 1.4 kwh per day 3.6 amps defrost, 2 amp compressor, .8 pf.,200
watts compressor.

Looks like the old one needs better insulation, but the defrost is sucking
power. I don't have any switch for door heater on the old one, and not sure
if it has a door heater. Even though I like the old fridge, maybe I should
watch craigs list. Got somewhat smaller fridge for my sister last fall.
$125 one year old, nice unit.
I should also look into rebate, and I don't want to pay for freon removal.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2012 8:31 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I have an approximately 38 year old upright freezer. It is working
perfectly. I know door gasket is not as good at it could be, however, it
seems to close pretty tight. It can be real hard to open a 2nd time
after looking for something. But I know there are a lot of square feet
which are acted upon by a very small vacuum. Also, if the unit is not
running, like after a defrost, the magnets in the door gasket are pretty
weak. Anyway, to the question. In your opinions, would it be
advantageous to replace it for a new more efficient unit? How long do
you think it would take it to pay off? BTW, this freezer has survived
being powered off for 4 months and moved 700 miles, approximately 3
years ago. It is a little noisy, but it's been that way for 38 year,
except now it is in a place were I can hear it more.

I, too got results of measuring the 38 year old freezer. Over 64 hours
of use, it averaged 2.72KWH per day. The room ambient has been pretty
much a constant 68-70 degrees during the measurement period. In the
summer I would probably be about 8 to 10 degrees warmer. At the
$0.11/KWH, that's $0.30/day or $109.10/year. BTW, my electricity charge
is probably going to go up in the next few months ... there is a case
presently under review. Anyway, even if I save $50/year, it would take
a whole lot of years to pay for a replacement. Interesting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
I should also look into rebate, and I don't want to pay for freon
removal.

Simply put the old fridge on the curb. Attach a (LARGE) note: "WORKS."

The machine will be removed by the urban faeries.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 13, 9:21*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
gregz wrote:
I should also look into rebate, and I don't want to pay for freon
removal.

Simply put the old fridge on the curb. Attach a (LARGE) note: "WORKS."

The machine will be removed by the urban faeries.

After removing the door(s).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 03:34:23 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I nursed an RCA color TV for 25 years until adjustments could no longer
correct the ever-enlarging image and the ever decreasing color

saturation.
It was still working when I curbed it. The difference between old CRT

TV's
and equal sized LCD/LED units is pretty impressive. So is the picture.

I agree. If you have HD programming, it even gets better on the same
LCD/LED tv.

Two exceptions. I now see how many actors/actresses have bad skin, teeth
and plastic surgery scars. When watching wildlife videos reveals how even
the most powerful of the beasts are plagued with insects. It's distracting
to watch all the little black dots crawling around on their heads that I
never noticed before.

I know what you mean grin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:10:12 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

[...]

I had that as a hunch tho I couldn't put nice numbers to it as you
did. Thanks for the feedback.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 12, 3:34*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I nursed an RCA color TV for 25 years until adjustments could no longer
correct the ever-enlarging image and the ever decreasing color

saturation.
It was still working when I curbed it. *The difference between old CRT

TV's
and equal sized LCD/LED units is pretty impressive. *So is the picture.

I agree. *If you have HD programming, it even gets better on the same
LCD/LED tv.

Two exceptions. *I now see how many actors/actresses have bad skin, teeth
and plastic surgery scars. *When watching wildlife videos reveals how even
the most powerful of the beasts are plagued with insects. *It's distracting
to watch all the little black dots crawling around on their heads that I
never noticed before.

If you watch Survivor you can see all of the bug bites on the players
arms and legs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 07:37:42 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

stuff snipped

You're right but I like to learn and I'm not afraid of dying.

That's the pioneer spirit that made this country great! (-:

Seriously, though, the Kill-a-watt is exactly the right tool for this

job.
Once you've used one, you'll see.

BTW, I long ago made up a test outlet box with isolated hot and neutral
wires and banana jacks on the side of the outlet box with a bypass switch
that allowed me to use either a clamp-on ammeter or a multimeter "direct
wire" connection. I never use it anymore since I got the Kill-a-watt.

Thanks for the info Bobby. I'll look into it.

You're quite welcome. If you decide you want to make a outlet and cord
"rig" to measure 110VAC amps with your multimeter, let me know and I'll
describe how I made mine for less that $3 and a cord cut off my old A/C.

Appreciate that. To be honest, I slept on this kill a watt meter and
decided tho I liked the idea, if all I'm going to do is measure things
but take no action, might as well not buy it. Sure it's nice to know
what things cost individually (in regard to electricity) but I am
already pretty thrifty and follow age old advice to save. I'm overall
satisfied with my electric bill considering my home size. But I
still appreciate your offer and thank you !!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2012 2:34 AM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

That movie starlet you thought was so beautiful....... ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2012 1:35 PM, Ron wrote:
On Apr 10, 12:43 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 11:42:20 -0400, "Robert Green" wrote:
it.

Still, if you're thrifty, it's hard to trash something that hasn't failed
for a gradual payback on your electric bill. It's so much nicer when they
cooperate by dying a quick, expensive to repair, death.

Agreed. I couldn't see myself buying a big screen tv but the death of
my old large heavy Sony made it a bit easy to swallow Of
course I like the new tv much better but honestly if the old one was
still working, I'd probably still be using it. I'm cheap but like to
say practical instead.

Did you buy LCD or Plasma? LCDs use about the same amount of power or
slightly more for same size screen.

I had a 45" Mitsubishi RPTV that lasted me for 12 years that I
replaced 2 years ago with a 50" Panasonic Plasma. The Panny uses 400
watts, as compared to the Mits that used 210 watts.

I know an idiot who will turn off all the lights like the 9 watt
florescent over the kitchen sink to save electricity then leave
the computer or TV on all night. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-04-10, wrote:

On a side note, things that I was once told were to last so many
years, more recently I'm told those same things last perhaps half (or
less) as long nowadays.... ie: washing machines, hot water heaters,
refrigs come to mind. That's sad in my opinion.

Three things have rendered reliability out: planned obsolescence,
bottom-line cheapness, disposability. It jes doesn't pay to make a
long lasting quality product or repair products than be purchased new
for less. No incentive for the user to purchase a new one. Seen any
TV/radio repair shops, lately?

Actually yes, one or two but I have no idea how much longer they'll
stay in business. Maybe they sell the old repaired units to make a
living???? I was willing to give my old heavy Sony away for free but
they would have to drive 5 miles to get it and they said no thanks. It
ended up in the garbage truck... kinda sad to see that but I wasn't
willing to pay to have it fixed (assuming it was fixable).

My first 17" CRT computer monitor bought back in the 90's was $549.00
which was a low price because I was in the computer repair/sales
business and got dealer pricing. The last time I bought a new computer
monitor was several years ago at Office Depot and it was +/- $160.00
for a 23" Viewsonic LCD. The twin LCD monitor setup I'm using right now
sending this post is a Dell Precision 390 I rescued from a business that
closed and was about to toss it into a dumpster along with other almost
new useable computers, monitors, laser printers, scanners and loads of
other equipment. I haven't bought any new computers or network equipment
in years because I come across so much current gear that's being tossed.
The D-Link wireless N router hooked to my cable modem is a 2010 model I
found tossed in the corner of an equipment room a few months ago. I may
build a new computer with a quad core CPU but I won't need a new case,
etc because I have so much of the other parts already. I constantly pick
up used and broken things of all types that need only minimum repairs. I
once got a 24,000 BTU window unit for my shop for free that had a simple
bad connection on the compressor. What's the payback for
a $600.00 AC unit that cost's nothing but a little sweat? ^_^

TDD