Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,comp.periphs.printers

Default Any ideas for binding a book using home-repair tools & materials?

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 13:10:22 +0000 (UTC), Martin C. wrote:

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 06:17:26 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

We routinely print a 32-page "Getting Started" guide for our software, 8
sheets of paper, 4 pages to a sheet front and back. The pages are
"saddle stitched", which means a single staple fastens the whole shebang
together. This results in the edges away from the staple are staggered.

That unsightliness is fixed by trimming the booklet to 5.25" with a
suitable paper cutter

What do you use to perform the booklet imposition?
a) Do you use Fineprint on Windows?
b) Do you use fprint or fp on Linux?
c) Or do you impose the pages manually as shown below?

Unless you want p 2 on the verso of p 32 and p 1 on the verso of 31, I'd
hope not :-) . Better would be:

Sheet 1 side 1 = pages 01 & 32 No!!! -- pages 32 and 01 instead!
Sheet 1 side 2 = pages 02 & 31
Sheet 2 side 1 = pages 03 & 30 No!!! -- pages 30 and 03 instead!
Sheet 2 side 2 = pages 04 & 29
Sheet 3 side 1 = pages 05 & 28 No!!! -- pages 28 and 05 instead!
Sheet 3 side 2 = pages 06 & 27
Sheet 4 side 1 = pages 07 & 26 No!!! -- pages 26 and 07 instead!
Sheet 4 side 2 = pages 08 & 25
Sheet 5 side 1 = pages 09 & 24 No!!! -- pages 24 and 09 instead!
Sheet 5 side 2 = pages 10 & 23
Sheet 6 side 1 = pages 11 & 22 No!!! -- pages 22 and 11 instead!
Sheet 6 side 2 = pages 12 & 21
Sheet 7 side 1 = pages 13 & 20 No!!! -- pages 20 and 13 instead!
Sheet 7 side 2 = pages 14 & 19
Sheet 8 side 1 = pages 15 & 18 No!!! -- pages 18 and 15 instead!
Sheet 8 side 2 = pages 16 & 17

(Gee willikers! How could you?? Think!!!)

Cheers, -- tlvp
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

In article ,
"Martin C." wrote:

Q: Anyone know how to do book imposition printing of a PDF on Linux?

For the record, apparently, these are the available book/booklet
imposition printer drivers for Windows & Linux:

a) Fineprint for Windows (the gold standard)
b) 'fp' and 'fprint' on Linux (mimic some Fineprint features for free)
c) JpdfTweak on Windows & Linux (free at http://jpdftweak.sourceforge.net)

Martin-

It has been interesting following your topics on printing a book. I
once looked into doing what you are considering, but never to such depth.

It is my understanding that book publishers often (usually?) use the
booklet approach, and bind a collection of booklets using stuff like
string, cloth and glue as you mentioned once. I found a program called
"Cheap Impostor" that can make the booklets, but never went further than
printing one small booklet to see if it worked.

The Cheap Impostor website has links to additional information about
printing and binding books, although you may have already found most of
the information. http://www.cheapimpostor.com/

I also have a collection of PDF files that could be printed into books,
but only a few might be worth the effort. The method I have settled on
is duplex printing the book on my HP Laser Printer, and using Comb
Binding to make it into a book. In one case, a service manual for the
printer was 250 pages, so 125 sheets of paper made a book just over one
half inch thick. At first I used a clear plastic over-size front cover
with black plastic oversize sheet for the back cover. Lately I have
just printed the first two pages on card stock (manual duplexing), and
either did the same for the last two pages or just used blank card stock.

It is definitely a pain punching 125 sheets five at a time, in my
inexpensive comb binding machine!

Fred

Brass book binding thingys John UK diy 2 July 30th 11 07:48 PM
Book binding Grumps[_2_] UK diy 28 July 29th 08 11:35 PM
OLD TV REPAIR TOOLS-permapower huebrite picture tube brightener-6-page tv set service tips tube replacement book-sylvania techs handheld colorviewer tool-vintage repair shop cleanout-$10 Dwight D. Eisenhower Home Repair 4 December 21st 07 08:24 PM
OLD TV REPAIR TOOLS-permapower huebrite picture tube brightener-6-page tv set service tips tube replacement book-sylvania techs handheld colorviewer tool-vintage repair shop cleanout-$10 Dwight D. Eisenhower Electronics Repair 0 December 19th 07 01:12 PM
Home Repair Book/Manual Surprise Me Home Repair 6 August 19th 07 09:10 PM