Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl Siding - Furring Strips Only Or Is Sheathing Required?

I want to put vinyl siding on the back wall of a garage. The current
siding is wood lap with 4" reveals.

Can I use 16" OC furring strips only or do I need to sheath over the
furring strips to provide a solid, flat surface for the vinyl?

There will be a 18" garden bed in front of this wall, so no one will
be leaning on it or anything like that.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 11:05*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I want to put vinyl siding on the back wall of a garage. The current
siding is wood lap with 4" reveals.

Can I use 16" OC furring strips only or do I need to sheath over the
furring strips to provide a solid, flat surface for the vinyl?

There will be a 18" garden bed in front of this wall, so no one will
be leaning on it or anything like that.

Thanks.

What does the manufacturer recommend????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 10:45*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Mar 11, 11:05*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I want to put vinyl siding on the back wall of a garage. The current
siding is wood lap with 4" reveals.

Can I use 16" OC furring strips only or do I need to sheath over the
furring strips to provide a solid, flat surface for the vinyl?

There will be a 18" garden bed in front of this wall, so no one will
be leaning on it or anything like that.

Thanks.

What does the manufacturer recommend????

Dunno...haven't gone that deep yet.

I was at Dad's house the other day and the back wall of the neighbor's
garage, which is right on Dad's property line, is looking pretty bad.
Dad has maintained the wall over the years (scraping and painting) but
he's getting to old to do that anymore.

My brothers and I want to side it this summer (the neighbor won't
mind) so I just tossed the question out there to see what we would be
up against, cost wise.

Some of the stuff I've read doesn't make it clear.

I found this at one site:

"If the walls are uneven (for example, you are covering lap siding),
nail 1x3 furring strips 16" on center from the foundation to the
eaves. Also nail furring strips around all doors and windows. Shim out
any low spots so you have a flat surface to work with."

However, I found this at another site:

"...vinyl siding should be applied over a sheathing that provides a
smooth, flat, stable surface."

So, at this point I'm both curious and confused.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/2012 11:35 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 12, 10:45 am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

It would not be a good idea to use furring strips and leave voids
unfilled and I believe the OEM would most certainly agree. What is
called for is a vertically and horizontally flat surface upon which to
apply the siding so, having no information about local codes or even
what part of the country you're in...

In your case, a stable backing already exists which can act as a nailing
surface strong enough to hold the siding. Thus, nominal sheathing is not
required as would be if applying to a bared structure frame.

You should however, apply rather inexpensive 1/2in. sheets of foam
insulation over the entire existing wall -- usually of the type with a
thin reflective aluminum surface upon one side -- shiny side outward.
This will provide both, a smooth flat surface to stabilize the rather
flimsy siding &, added protection from moisture (mold & mildew). IMHO,
furring out existing wall would leave huge voids and likely trap
moisture, which contributes to mold, mildew...rot.

When applying the siding, nail lightly enough to insure movement due to
normal season expansion/ contraction and breathing of structural
components. IOWs do not pound the nails or staples (which I do not
recommend) in hard enough to dimple the siding or prohibit lateral/
vertical movement of the structure without tearing out the applique; the
same as if you were nailing exterior flanges of a window during
installation.

HTH

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Posted to alt.home.repair

The proper way would be to strip the old siding down to the studs, put
up new exterior grade OSB, a layer of Tyvek house wrap followed by your
new siding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Thanks..I'll look into that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 8:26*pm, Hugh Jass wrote:
The proper way would be to strip the old siding down to the studs, put
up new exterior grade OSB, a layer of Tyvek house wrap followed by your
new siding.

Proper or not, it's not my Dad's garage, so it can't/won't be stripped.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 11, 11:05*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I want to put vinyl siding on the back wall of a garage. The current
siding is wood lap with 4" reveals.

Can I use 16" OC furring strips only or do I need to sheath over the
furring strips to provide a solid, flat surface for the vinyl?

There will be a 18" garden bed in front of this wall, so no one will
be leaning on it or anything like that.

Thanks.

The pros use 1/4" fan fold styrofoam over old siding to get a nice
flat surface for the vinyl. Find out if there are some siding jobs
going on in your city and have a look at the way it is done. Don't
over-engineer it, keep it simple.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote in news:b92643d2-1f2d-44c4-b2b2-47d869f8feb2
@y10g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

On Mar 11, 11:05*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I want to put vinyl siding on the back wall of a garage. The current
siding is wood lap with 4" reveals.

Can I use 16" OC furring strips only or do I need to sheath over the
furring strips to provide a solid, flat surface for the vinyl?

There will be a 18" garden bed in front of this wall, so no one will
be leaning on it or anything like that.

Thanks.

The pros use 1/4" fan fold styrofoam over old siding to get a nice
flat surface for the vinyl. Find out if there are some siding jobs
going on in your city and have a look at the way it is done. Don't
over-engineer it, keep it simple.

Joe

.... and use ALUMINUM siding nails to attach foam/siding. They don't rust
and drip brown after a few years.