Senior Member

Question Loud banging from boiler

We have a loud banging coming from a small Worcester Bosch boiler which goes away when a radiator valve or TRV is adjusted.

Is this indicative of a faulty valve or TRV?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Loud banging from boiler

"M.Joshi" wrote in message ...

We have a loud banging coming from a small Worcester Bosch boiler which
goes away when a radiator valve or TRV is adjusted.

Is this indicative of a faulty valve or TRV?

Thanks.

It's time to call a boiler tech out to clear the tank.......

--
This post contains IPA phonetic symbols in Unicode.
Without proper rendering support,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 6:57*pm, M.Joshi wrote:
We have a loud banging coming from a small Worcester Bosch boiler which
goes away when a radiator valve or TRV is adjusted.

Is this indicative of a faulty valve or TRV?

Thanks.

--
M.Joshi

Probably cavitiation. Reduced pressure due to the circulation pump
causes steam bubbles to form and collapse.
This can be confirmed by seeing if it goes away when the BOILER stat
is turned down.
Could be a blockage somewhere. Or a wrongly sized/set pump.
It wants looking as it could be very damaging.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 1:57*pm, M.Joshi wrote:
We have a loud banging coming from a small Worcester Bosch boiler which
goes away when a radiator valve or TRV is adjusted.

Is this indicative of a faulty valve or TRV?

Thanks.

--
M.Joshi

That reminds me of a time the wife and I stayed over at her sister's
apartment. Her sister had a water heater in the kitchen; we slept on a
pull-out couch in the living room.

Whenever the heater came on, it popped and banged so loudly you could
hardly talk over it, never mind trying to sleep.

Turned out to be sediment on the bottom causing cavitation - small
pockets of air that would fill with steam and then explode. I offered
to drain the tank through a hose and out of the window.

Once we were done, the banging was gone, at least for the next few
months until she moved out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 1:30*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 8, 1:57*pm, M.Joshi wrote:

We have a loud banging coming from a small Worcester Bosch boiler which
goes away when a radiator valve or TRV is adjusted.

Is this indicative of a faulty valve or TRV?

Thanks.

--
M.Joshi

That reminds me of a time the wife and I stayed over at her sister's
apartment. Her sister had a water heater in the kitchen; we slept on a
pull-out couch in the living room.

Whenever the heater came on, it popped and banged so loudly you could
hardly talk over it, never mind trying to sleep.

Turned out to be sediment on the bottom causing cavitation - small
pockets of air that would fill with steam and then explode. I offered
to drain the tank through a hose and out of the window.

Once we were done, the banging was gone, at least for the next few
months until she moved out.

i have had the boiling sound with all my water heaters once they get
middle age. unfortunately draining the tank accomplishes nothing.
nothing but water comes out

Banging Boiler harry UK diy 0 November 16th 11 06:10 PM
Banging Boiler NT[_2_] UK diy 2 November 16th 11 03:34 PM
Loud banging from airing cupboard and crunching sound from radiators Kevin Cowans UK diy 6 November 16th 07 01:50 PM
Loud banging when CH/HW boiler comes on [email protected] UK diy 2 March 14th 06 10:12 AM
Boiler banging Clare UK diy 16 January 25th 05 10:06 AM