Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What size inverter

I would like to know what size inverter would be required to run an
electric chain saw that uses 120 volts and 10 amps.
I have some trees down in the woods that I need to cut up. I can get the
tractor to them and would like to know what size inverter ( how many
watts) do I need to run the saw. Thanks for any info
Herb

Posted to alt.home.repair

volts times amps equals watts.
120 x 10 = 1200.

Larger inverter than that may be needed. Keep the 12 volt cables as fat,
and as short as possible. Run more 110 volt AC power cord if you need to.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
I would like to know what size inverter would be required to run an
electric chain saw that uses 120 volts and 10 amps.
I have some trees down in the woods that I need to cut up. I can get the
tractor to them and would like to know what size inverter ( how many
watts) do I need to run the saw.
Thanks for any info
Herb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2012 12:13 PM, Herb Eneva wrote:
I would like to know what size inverter would be required to run an
electric chain saw that uses 120 volts and 10 amps.
I have some trees down in the woods that I need to cut up. I can get the
tractor to them and would like to know what size inverter ( how many
watts) do I need to run the saw. Thanks for any info
Herb

Somewhere between 1600-2000 watts should do it(that includes a 30%
safety margin). Frankly though, for what that rig would cost and at the
risk of destroying the electric motor or both, you might be better
served spending the money for a used gas power at a pawn shop. Just my
opinion because I get a sense this is not a one time deal.

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
. ..
volts times amps equals watts.
120 x 10 = 1200.

Larger inverter than that may be needed. Keep the 12 volt cables as fat,
and as short as possible. Run more 110 volt AC power cord if you need to.

That 1200 watts is running wattage. You'll need a higher capacity inverter
to handle the start up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 2:58*pm, "Justin Time" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

. ..

volts *times amps equals watts.
120 x 10 = 1200.

Larger inverter than that may be needed. Keep the 12 *volt cables as fat,
and as short as possible. Run more 110 volt AC power cord if you need to.

That 1200 watts is running wattage. You'll need a higher capacity inverter
to handle the start up.

But, starting up under no-load should be so short a time that the
inverter should be able to handle a 1-second surge. They are always
rated for both peak and steady-state load, and a 1200 watt unit should
have at least a 10% overload factor that will get the chain saw
running easily as long as it is under a no-load start-up. Now, if the
saw binds, you could easily go over the 10 amps / 1200 watts for
several seconds. Most likely, the invertor will not blow up, but will
either shut down or blow a fuse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It may turn out, that the gas saw is cheaper than the inverter.

Do you have a friend, who has a gas saw, or gas generator?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Digger" wrote in message

Somewhere between 1600-2000 watts should do it(that includes a 30%
safety margin). Frankly though, for what that rig would cost and at the
risk of destroying the electric motor or both, you might be better
served spending the money for a used gas power at a pawn shop. Just my
opinion because I get a sense this is not a one time deal.

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most inverters have a dual rating, run watts and startup surge.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Justin Time" wrote in message

That 1200 watts is running wattage. You'll need a higher capacity inverter
to handle the start up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 5:20*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

I agree with the above. The start-up current on a
chainsaw with no load isn't going to be that significant and it
only lasts a fraction of a second. The
10 amps is likely the draw with a heavy cutting load. A
1200 Watt inverter will likely be sufficient.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 6, 5:45*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Most inverters have a dual rating, run watts and startup surge.

I have a Redi-Line that has 1600 continuous output watts and 2400
surge output watts. I bought it back in the late '90's and it was
around $2,000. I would suggest that the OP buy a gas powered chainsaw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My 500 watt Redi Line stopped working. I havn't the heart to pitch it out. I
conacted the company for repair estimate. I bought it used in 1985 or so,
and it's probably antique. But, I can't bring myself to throw it away, or
scrap it for the copper.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ron" wrote in message

I have a Redi-Line that has 1600 continuous output watts and 2400
surge output watts. I bought it back in the late '90's and it was
around $2,000. I would suggest that the OP buy a gas powered chainsaw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Most inverters have a dual rating, run watts and startup surge.

I have a Redi-Line that has 1600 continuous output watts and 2400
surge output watts. I bought it back in the late '90's and it was
around $2,000. I would suggest that the OP buy a gas powered chainsaw.

Say what? You can get a 1600 watt today for under $200. And even 15
years ago they were not that
expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
[...]

I haven't priced either in a long time, but isn't a gas chain saw rental
going to cost about the same or less than an inverter that size? I'll bet
a 1200W unit never even starts the saw and if it does, it won't run for
long. When I was looking at battery/inverter technology for my sump pump,
it seemed that the rule of thumb was having a capacity twice that of the
motor's nameplate rating.

More than one vendor I checked suggested I would have needed a 3000W
inverter to run a 1/2HP AC pump, so I went with a unit that used a 12VDC
submersible motor instead. Using a 12VDC motor increased the run time
substantially - from hours for the AC pump/inverter to days with the DC pump
when used every 10 minutes or so. Less GPM pumping capacity but far greater
efficiency than a battery to inverter setup.

Of course we're talking chain saws, but I think that makes it even worse. A
pump impeller is almost a frictionless load compared to a chainsaw. I can
only imagine a that motor that has to get the entire chain and sprocket
assembly going will draw even more startup current than a pump, especially
if the lubricant's dried out a little. I wouldn't expect a 1200 or even a
1500W inverter to even start a 10A chainsaw or power it through the first
blade bind. But this is Usenet and someone will make a liar out of me, I am
sure. (0:

There's a reason why my 10A radial arm saw dims the clamp lamp connected to
it on a dedicated 20A circuit. It might be an interesting experiment to see
if my Kil-o-Watt meter can register the start-up surge.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Most inverters have a dual rating, run watts and startup surge.

I have a Redi-Line that has 1600 continuous output watts and 2400
surge output watts. I bought it back in the late '90's and it was
around $2,000. I would suggest that the OP buy a gas powered chainsaw.

Or rent one for the occasion.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:
Most inverters have a dual rating, run watts and startup surge.

I have a Redi-Line that has 1600 continuous output watts and 2400
surge output watts. I bought it back in the late '90's and it was
around $2,000. I would suggest that the OP buy a gas powered chainsaw.

Say what? * You can get a 1600 watt today for under $200. *And even 15
years ago they were not that
expensive.

Yeah, an el-chepo. NOT a Redi-Line 1600 watt electric generator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 6:48*pm, Ron wrote:

wrote:
Most inverters have a dual rating, run watts and startup surge.

I have a Redi-Line that has 1600 continuous output watts and 2400
surge output watts. I bought it back in the late '90's and it was
around $2,000. I would suggest that the OP buy a gas powered chainsaw..

Say what? * You can get a 1600 watt today for under $200. *And even 15
years ago they were not that
expensive.

Yeah, an el-chepo. NOT a Redi-Line 1600 watt electric generator.

When people use the term inverter today for this
kind of application I think few people would equate
that with a motor-generator set that was common 50
years ago. Solidstate inverter technology has been
around a long time and clearly is what is suited to the
application in question. Call it cheap if you like, but
it works, is proven and reliable. I sure wouldn't buy a heavy, bulky
genset to run a chainsaw when I could buy a small light solidstate
inverter. When I pulled up a pic
of one of these Redi-Line things I had a good laugh.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 6, 7:35*pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 6, 6:48*pm, Ron wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I had a solid-state inverter made for "professional use" before I
bought the Redi-Line and it was far from reliable. This was for WORK
and I needed something that wasn't going to crap out every 2-3 months.
So I went to my supplier and ask what was the best inverter made. That
is how I ended up with the Redi-Line. Used it almost everyday for 5
years and never had ONE problem. It's a beast! It's sitting in my
garage and still works fine. I just used it a few months ago when my
power went out.

I wasn't suggesting that the OP go out and buy a Redi-Line, I was
mainly replying to the surge comment(s). Those are the only 2
inverters that I've ever used. If those inverters that look like car
amps work like you say they do, then good. I'd still put my Redi-Line
up against any of them AFA, performance, reliability, and longevity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2012 8:22 PM, Ron wrote:
On Mar 6, 7:35 pm,
wrote:
On Mar 6, 6:48 pm, wrote:

wrote:
[...]

The Redi-line is a high quality, expensive beast, and for your purposes
was probably the best choice. That type of quality and expense isn't
always necessary. I've had an "el cheapo", 1200/2400 inverter in my work
van since 2006. I use it every day to charge cordless batteries, and to
power all the small power tools I use albeit for short periods of time.
These include angle grinder, sawzall, circular saw, 1/2" angle drill and
pistol drill. For $100 the Op certainly could get something adequate to
power his small chain saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 6, 9:12*pm, RBM wrote:

[...]

Good to know. What brand is it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
I would like to know what size inverter would be required to run an
electric chain saw that uses 120 volts and 10 amps.
I have some trees down in the woods that I need to cut up. I can get the
tractor to them and would like to know what size inverter ( how many
watts) do I need to run the saw.
Thanks for any info
Herb

1200 watts divided by 12 volts = 100 amps. 120 ahr battery = less than one
hour operating time. What kind of tractor? If that's big enough, you still
need a couple thousand rpm.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
* *I would like to know what size inverter would be required to run an
electric chain saw that uses 120 volts and 10 amps.
I have some trees down in the woods that I need to cut up. I can get the
tractor to them and would like to know what size inverter ( how many
watts) do I need to run the saw.
Thanks for any info
Herb

1200 watts divided by 12 volts = 100 amps. 120 ahr battery = less than *one
hour operating time. What kind of tractor? If that's big enough, you still
need a couple thousand rpm.

Greg

Interesting point...

Why is the OP looking for an inverter rather than a small
gas powered generator or even a gas powered chainsaw...

I feel that the "application" here is needlessly complicated
by user error and over engineering...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&t...iw=800&bih=461

500 watter for $1241.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I have a Redi-Line that has 1600 continuous output watts and 2400
surge output watts. I bought it back in the late '90's and it was
around $2,000. I would suggest that the OP buy a gas powered chainsaw.

Say what? You can get a 1600 watt today for under $200. And even 15
years ago they were not that
expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb wrote in message
[...]

Darn Evan, where's your imagination? It's obvious the guy wants a QUIET
way to carve up corpses of his victims. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
I would like to know what size inverter would be required to run an
electric chain saw that uses 120 volts and 10 amps.
I have some trees down in the woods that I need to cut up. I can get the
tractor to them and would like to know what size inverter ( how many
watts) do I need to run the saw.
Thanks for any info
Herb

1200 watts divided by 12 volts = 100 amps. 120 ahr battery = less than one
hour operating time. What kind of tractor? If that's big enough, you still
need a couple thousand rpm.

Greg

You don't want to have the tractor stuck in the woods with a dead
battery.
When I was looking into them to power my furnace and some lights from
an inverter in case of a power outage, the biggest issue was my car
alternator.
It's the stock 100 amps, but I still don't know what engine rpm that's
based on.
A tractor probably has a lower amp alternator.
That's the weak spot.
You're not going to run a tool long on a single battery without the
alternator going.
10 amps is a pretty heavy draw on a battery.
Anyway, I decided hooking up a small gas space heater was easier and
more cost efficient.
There's some power loss with inverters, and they need heavy wiring and
lugs..
Best place to get first hand advice on them is RV and contractor
forums.
I noticed some contractors use them to run power tools at job sites.
Those are probably mostly hooked to pickup trucks with 100 amp or
better alternators.
I'm with those who say get a small gas generator or a gas saw.
But if you can pick up a 2000W inverter cheap, give it a go.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2012 10:02 PM, Ron wrote:
On Mar 6, 9:12 pm, wrote:
On 3/6/2012 8:22 PM, Ron wrote:

[...]

Here is a link to it, as it resides behind the passenger seat of my van:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

This one is Coleman, but I've seen extremely similar units with a
variety of names

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 23:11:06 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

"Herb wrote in message
[...]

He's such a thoughtful neighbor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message

* *I would like to know what size inverter would be required to run an
electric chain saw that uses 120 volts and 10 amps.
I have some trees down in the woods that I need to cut up. I can get the
tractor to them and would like to know what size inverter ( how many
watts) do I need to run the saw.
Thanks for any info
Herb

Volts times amps does not equal watts.
Jesus won't have you for a sunbeam if you tell lies. :-)

Your battery won't last long so leave the engine running.
,
There is a possibility of overloading the alternator too.
Really you need a gas engine chain saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 2:12*am, RBM wrote:
On 3/6/2012 8:22 PM, Ron wrote:

On Mar 6, 7:35 pm,
wrote:
On Mar 6, 6:48 pm, *wrote:

*wrote:
[...]

power his small chain saw.- Hide quoted text -

So you use an inverter to charge batteries?
Very interesting.
How does that work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 5:11*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 3/6/2012 10:09 PM, Evan wrote:

"Herb *wrote in message
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

In that event, what he needs is a cordless chainsaw.
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=169951
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2012 2:53 PM, harry wrote:
On Mar 7, 2:12 am, wrote:
On 3/6/2012 8:22 PM, Ron wrote:

On Mar 6, 7:35 pm,
wrote:
On Mar 6, 6:48 pm, wrote:

wrote:
[...]

The inverter changes 12 VDC from a deep cycle marine battery to 120 VAC.
The 120 VAC feeds 2 GFCI outlets in the van. One of the outlets has a
Makita lithium battery charger plugged into it

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message

I would like to know what size inverter would be required to run an
electric chain saw that uses 120 volts and 10 amps.
I have some trees down in the woods that I need to cut up. I can get the
tractor to them and would like to know what size inverter ( how many
watts) do I need to run the saw.
Thanks for any info
Herb

Volts times amps does not equal watts.
Jesus won't have you for a sunbeam if you tell lies. :-)

Your battery won't last long so leave the engine running.
,
There is a possibility of overloading the alternator too.
Really you need a gas engine chain saw.

And they are not that expensive an 18" 42cc chansaw can be had for less than
U$125.
And with your level of use, and proper care, it could last you the rest of
your life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Darn Evan, where's your imagination? It's obvious the guy wants a QUIET
way to carve up corpses of his victims. ^_^

In that event, what he needs is a cordless chainsaw.
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=169951

WHoa !
Fot that price get a woodchipper
Just stuff the body in the chute and don't stand behind the machine
A good way to have a well fertilized flower bed

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2012 6:40 AM, RBM wrote:
On 3/6/2012 10:02 PM, Ron wrote:
On Mar 6, 9:12 pm, wrote:
On 3/6/2012 8:22 PM, Ron wrote:

[...]

Very cool installation, I'll bet not many folks recognize the yellow
bushing in the wall. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Darn Evan, where's your imagination? It's obvious the guy wants a QUIET
way to carve up corpses of his victims. ^_^

In that event, what he needs is a cordless chainsaw.
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=169951

WHoa !
Fot that price get a woodchipper
Just stuff the body in the chute and don't stand behind the machine
A good way to have a well fertilized flower bed

I remember a case against a fellow who used a chipper to get rid of his
wife, a fragment of bone was found out in the woods where he fertilized
the forest. That tiny fragment was enough evidence to get a conviction.
So be careful when you grind someone up. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 8:12*pm, RBM wrote:
On 3/7/2012 2:53 PM, harry wrote:

On Mar 7, 2:12 am, *wrote:
On 3/6/2012 8:22 PM, Ron wrote:

On Mar 6, 7:35 pm,
wrote:
On Mar 6, 6:48 pm, * *wrote:

* *wrote:
[...]

Makita lithium battery charger plugged into it- Hide quoted text -

Now that is an expensive/inefficient route to charge batteries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2012 6:40 AM, RBM wrote:
On 3/6/2012 10:02 PM, Ron wrote:
On Mar 6, 9:12 pm, wrote:
On 3/6/2012 8:22 PM, Ron wrote:

[...]

I'll bet you're right
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2012 2:59 AM, harry wrote:
On Mar 7, 8:12 pm, wrote:
On 3/7/2012 2:53 PM, harry wrote:

On Mar 7, 2:12 am, wrote:
On 3/6/2012 8:22 PM, Ron wrote:

On Mar 6, 7:35 pm,
wrote:
On Mar 6, 6:48 pm, wrote:

wrote:
[...]

The setup wasn't done specifically to charge batteries. It was installed
to provide quick short term power for hand tools. As an added bonus, at
no extra cost, it conveniently charges the battery powered tools as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 8, 2:59*am, harry wrote:
On Mar 7, 8:12*pm, RBM wrote:

On 3/7/2012 2:53 PM, harry wrote:

On Mar 7, 2:12 am, *wrote:
On 3/6/2012 8:22 PM, Ron wrote:

On Mar 6, 7:35 pm,
wrote:
On Mar 6, 6:48 pm, * *wrote:

* *wrote:
[...]

Not while you are driving.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 11:40*am, RBM wrote:
On 3/8/2012 2:59 AM, harry wrote:

On Mar 7, 8:12 pm, *wrote:
On 3/7/2012 2:53 PM, harry wrote:

On Mar 7, 2:12 am, * *wrote:
On 3/6/2012 8:22 PM, Ron wrote:

On Mar 6, 7:35 pm,
wrote:
On Mar 6, 6:48 pm, * * *wrote:

* * *wrote:
[...]

no extra cost, it conveniently charges the battery powered tools as well.- Hide quoted text -

Ah! :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Darn Evan, where's your imagination? It's obvious the guy wants a QUIET
way to carve up corpses of his victims. ^_^

In that event, what he needs is a cordless chainsaw.
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=169951

WHoa !
Fot that price get a woodchipper
Just stuff the body in the chute and don't stand behind the machine
A good way to have a well fertilized flower bed

I remember a case against a fellow who used a chipper to get rid of his
wife, a fragment of bone was found out in the woods where he fertilized
the forest. That tiny fragment was enough evidence to get a conviction.
So be careful when you grind someone up. ^_^

Make sure you have it set to "puree".