Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default What size inverter

On Mar 6, 10:04*pm, gregz wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
volts *times amps equals watts.
120 x 10 = 1200.

Larger inverter than that may be needed. Keep the 12 *volt cables as fat,
and as short as possible. Run more 110 volt AC power cord if you need to.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
* *I would like to know what size inverter would be required to run an
electric chain saw that uses 120 volts and 10 amps.
I have some trees down in the woods that I need to cut up. I can get the
tractor to them and would like to know what size inverter ( how many
watts) do I need to run the saw.
Thanks for any info
Herb

1200 watts divided by 12 volts = 100 amps. 120 ahr battery = less than *one
hour operating time. What kind of tractor? If that's big enough, you still
need a couple thousand rpm.

Greg

Interesting point...

Why is the OP looking for an inverter rather than a small
gas powered generator or even a gas powered chainsaw...

I feel that the "application" here is needlessly complicated
by user error and over engineering...

~~ Evan