Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mold Identification

Greetings,

I have discovered some ugly looking mold in a crawlspace under a
portion of a house. The crawlspace has a dirt floor, masonry walls,
and a wood frame roof, which supports a stone floored sun room. The
structure was built in 1922.

I've taken some photos of the mold an put them in my dropbox folder.
Here's a link:

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2745459/1/Mold?h=24af1f

The first image has the best clarity, as it was hard to get a steady
shot inside this space.

Can anyone identify the mold in these pictures? I want to know if it's
potentially poisonous or otherwise a danger to habitation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Elliott P writes:

Greetings,

I have discovered some ugly looking mold in a crawlspace under a
portion of a house. The crawlspace has a dirt floor, masonry walls,
and a wood frame roof, which supports a stone floored sun room. The
structure was built in 1922.

I've taken some photos of the mold an put them in my dropbox folder.
Here's a link:

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2745459/1/Mold?h=24af1f

The first image has the best clarity, as it was hard to get a steady
shot inside this space.

Can anyone identify the mold in these pictures? I want to know if it's
potentially poisonous or otherwise a danger to habitation.

Pretty good case.

I went he

http://www.thebeamguy.com/rotfungi.php

Closest match: Asterostroma spp

It's a danger to the structure.
I don't see anything online about it being a danger to humans.

You have to get rid of the leak causing the moisture.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Elliott P" wrote in message

I have discovered some ugly looking mold in a crawlspace . . .
Can anyone identify the mold in these pictures? I want to know if it's
potentially poisonous or otherwise a danger to habitation.

Mould cannot be identified from photos. Put on a mask and
collect (with a clean knife) samples into two (new) plastic bags.
Deliver one to the local public health authority (in case
there is some legal obligation on you or your landlord) and
the other to any college department of microbiology willing
to identify the mould.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 28, 3:17*pm, Elliott P wrote:

snip

Can anyone identify the mold in these pictures? I want to know if it's
potentially poisonous or otherwise a danger to habitation.

Just assume it is unpleasant/hazardous and get rid of it.
Identification is time-consuming, may be next to impossible. Common
sense would dictate prompt action.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:10:19 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
wrote Re Mold Identification:

"Elliott P" wrote in message

I have discovered some ugly looking mold in a crawlspace . . .
Can anyone identify the mold in these pictures? I want to know if it's
potentially poisonous or otherwise a danger to habitation.

Mould cannot be identified from photos. Put on a mask and
collect (with a clean knife) samples into two (new) plastic bags.

Deliver one to the local public health authority (in case
there is some legal obligation on you or your landlord)

And then wait for the property to be condemned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:17:05 -0800 (PST), Elliott P
wrote:

Greetings,

I have discovered some ugly looking mold in a crawlspace under a
portion of a house. The crawlspace has a dirt floor, masonry walls,
and a wood frame roof, which supports a stone floored sun room. The
structure was built in 1922.

I've taken some photos of the mold an put them in my dropbox folder.
Here's a link:

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2745459/1/Mold?h=24af1f

The first image has the best clarity, as it was hard to get a steady
shot inside this space.

Can anyone identify the mold in these pictures? I want to know if it's
potentially poisonous or otherwise a danger to habitation.

Home centers sell mold tests. Stop guessing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 1:17*pm, Elliott P wrote:
Greetings,

I have discovered some ugly looking mold in a crawlspace under a
portion of a house. The crawlspace has a dirt floor, masonry walls,
and a wood frame roof, which supports a stone floored sun room. The
structure was built in 1922.

I've taken some photos of the mold an put them in my dropbox folder.
Here's a link:

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2745459/1/Mold?h=24af1f

The first image has the best clarity, as it was hard to get a steady
shot inside this space.

Can anyone identify the mold in these pictures? I want to know if it's
potentially poisonous or otherwise a danger to habitation.

comments on "mold"

rom cdc website http://www.cdc.gov/mold/dampness_facts.htm

You do not need to know the type of mold growing in your home, and CDC
does not recommend or perform routine sampling for molds. No matter
what type of mold is present, you should remove it. Since the effect
of mold on people can vary greatly, either because of the amount or
type of mold, you can not rely on sampling and culturing to know your
health risk. Also, good sampling for mold can be expensive, and
standards for judging what is and what is not an acceptable quantity
of mold have not been set. The best practice is to remove the mold and
work to prevent future growth.

The stuff in the photos reminds me of "white rot" wood decay fungi

http://www.emlab.com/s/sampling/env-report-01-2009.html

cheers
Bob