Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Armadillos

I debated the OT because this is home related. Other than a lawn
chair, flashlight and shotgun, does anyone have suggestions for
controlling Armadillos? We live in a small town and our back yard
backs up to farm fields and timber. You seldom see them during the
day but they are rooting up the ground near our house, shed and even
places in the middle of the lawn.

Our neighbor said they drove him to distraction while he as trying to
establish a lawn several years ago. He was coming home late one
evening and saw one waddling across the yard in his headlights, and he
ran him down with his pickup. I would like to avoid that tactic too.

Ron
Posted to alt.home.repair

What did your google search turn up? Must be some one else had similar
problems.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"RonB" wrote in message
I debated the OT because this is home related. Other than a lawn
chair, flashlight and shotgun, does anyone have suggestions for
controlling Armadillos? We live in a small town and our back yard
backs up to farm fields and timber. You seldom see them during the
day but they are rooting up the ground near our house, shed and even
places in the middle of the lawn.

Our neighbor said they drove him to distraction while he as trying to
establish a lawn several years ago. He was coming home late one
evening and saw one waddling across the yard in his headlights, and he
ran him down with his pickup. I would like to avoid that tactic too.

Ron

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 06:03:38 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

I debated the OT because this is home related. Other than a lawn
chair, flashlight and shotgun, does anyone have suggestions for
controlling Armadillos? We live in a small town and our back yard
backs up to farm fields and timber. You seldom see them during the
day but they are rooting up the ground near our house, shed and even
places in the middle of the lawn.

Our neighbor said they drove him to distraction while he as trying to
establish a lawn several years ago. He was coming home late one
evening and saw one waddling across the yard in his headlights, and he
ran him down with his pickup. I would like to avoid that tactic too.

Ron

1. Armadillos carry leprosy. Take precautions if you handle them.
2. One of their defensive mechanisms is to jump striaght up. So they
get hit by car bumpers a lot, rather than just having the car speed
over them.
3. As roadkill, after rigor mortise has set in, they are often
observed laying on their backs with their legs pointing straight up
with a longneck beer bottle (usually Shiners) supported on their feet.
4. People sometimes take their carcasses and infuse them with special
store-bought ants, then throw the carcass on their roof. The ants eat
all the flesh, leaving the carapice for way cool display items.

I so swear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RonB wrote:
I debated the OT because this is home related. Other than a lawn
chair, flashlight and shotgun, does anyone have suggestions for
controlling Armadillos? We live in a small town and our back yard
backs up to farm fields and timber. You seldom see them during the
day but they are rooting up the ground near our house, shed and even
places in the middle of the lawn.

Our neighbor said they drove him to distraction while he as trying to
establish a lawn several years ago. He was coming home late one
evening and saw one waddling across the yard in his headlights, and he
ran him down with his pickup. I would like to avoid that tactic too.

Armadillos are not very bright and not very fast. Most people can run
alongside them and pick them up (when you do, notice the 'diller's legs keep
moving). From there, you can put them in the garbage can or wherever.

Don't worry too much about leprosy; if you do contract it, leprosy is easily
curable with modern antibiotics long before anything falls off.

A few years ago the head of the Tennessee Department of Transportation sent
out a memo noting that the Texas Nine-Banded Armadillo had managed to spread
to Tennessee. He further instructed the Volunteers that, when startled,
armadillos jump straight up (as much as four feet) and curl into a sphere.
Therefore if you see an armadillo on the road in front of you, DON'T HONK!
else an 18 pound bowling ball will come though your windshield at 50mph!

It probably won't hurt the armadillo, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Feb 22, 2:58*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
RonB wrote:
[...]

30 years ago, all you had to do is leave a six-pack of Lone Star Beer
out for them and they would take it and leave. Later you would hear
about an Lone Star 18-wheeler getting hi-jacked by a giant armadillo.
I saw the commercials, It's true!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 3:58*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
RonB wrote:
[...]

I know they are slow but you very seldom see them in daylight. In
fact we really didn't start seeing them in Kansas until the early
90's. Since then, they are everywhere. If you drive any distance,
almost anywhere in the state, you will see them on the roadside doing
their four legged salute.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:58:11 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

It probably won't hurt the armadillo, though.

I know they are slow but you very seldom see them in daylight. In
fact we really didn't start seeing them in Kansas until the early
90's. Since then, they are everywhere. If you drive any distance,
almost anywhere in the state, you will see them on the roadside doing
their four legged salute.

The first time I saw one of these as a young child, I thought someone
bought me a football -- really. Armadillo purse.

http://www.tias.com/stores/dco/pictures/hbp236a.jpg

Made from a real critter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's rare that someone will get leprosy from an armadillo, these
days. Most folks cook their armadillos thoroughly, as with their
possums.

It's very easy to get rid of armadillos, just get rid of your
earthworms.

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 8:02*pm, Sonny wrote:

It's very easy to get rid of armadillos, just get rid of your
earthworms.

Sonny

OH! I need to go fishin' more.

I can do that!

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair

RonB wrote:

[...]

About 15 years ago, I visited the Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania.
There, I saw my first ground hog in the flesh (It was "Harriet," the
society's mascot). In talking with the executive director, I offered to
trade him an armadillo for a ground hog.

"Good Lord, NO!" was his response. He went on, "Can you imagine what would
happen if the granny ladies walking our nature trails were to spot an
armadillo? There'd be a never-ending line of ambulances."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 6:54*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
RonB wrote:

[...]

I can kind of relate to that. In about 1990-92 we had a scout troop
at the Quivera Scout Ranch is SE Kansas. Another leader and I had
about 8 scouts on a backpacking training trip. That evening my first
Kansas Armadillo came out of the grass and waddled through the middle
of our site. One of the boys took off toward it and the armadillo
turned around and made a noise that stopped the kid in his tracks. It
wasn't loud, it was just the kind of sound that stopped the kid, me
and about anyone else who might want to go cuddle with him. Kind of a
throaty hiss or something.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RonB" wrote in message

That evening my first Kansas Armadillo came out of the grass and waddled
through the middle of our site. One of the boys took off toward it and the
armadillo turned around and made a noise that stopped the kid in his tracks.
It wasn't loud, it was just the kind of sound that stopped the kid, me and
about anyone else who might want to go cuddle with him. Kind of a throaty
hiss or something.

He was saying "Don't touch me, I have leprosy!" (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 06:03:38 -0800 (PST), RonB wrote:

I debated the OT because this is home related. Other than a lawn
chair, flashlight and shotgun, does anyone have suggestions for
controlling Armadillos?

Cars seem to do a good job around here. I think they're really woodchucks
with (too thin) body armor.

We live in a small town and our back yard
backs up to farm fields and timber. You seldom see them during the
day but they are rooting up the ground near our house, shed and even
places in the middle of the lawn.

Try getting rid of the bugs in your lawn, grubs, in particular.

Our neighbor said they drove him to distraction while he as trying to
establish a lawn several years ago. He was coming home late one
evening and saw one waddling across the yard in his headlights, and he
ran him down with his pickup. I would like to avoid that tactic too.

..22SP works well.