Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repair Lighthouse figurine

The lighthouse broke off my "Alcatraz Island Lighthouse Figurine From
Scaasis". How can I glue it back on?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gary" wrote in message
The lighthouse broke off my "Alcatraz Island Lighthouse Figurine From
Scaasis". How can I glue it back on?

With glue???? ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2012 7:16 PM, gary wrote:
The lighthouse broke off my "Alcatraz Island Lighthouse Figurine From
Scaasis". How can I glue it back on?

Check out the glue recommend site:

http://www.thistothat.com/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, TDD,

What material is my figurine made from? In this photo, the break is
at the base of the lighthouse:

http://www.scaasis.com/description.a...3&ProdCat_ID=1
Posted to alt.home.repair

gary wrote the following on 2/18/2012 1:23 AM (ET):
Thanks, TDD,

What material is my figurine made from? In this photo, the break is
at the base of the lighthouse:

http://www.scaasis.com/description.a...3&ProdCat_ID=1

Resin. You can use Krazy glue or plastic cement, just as scale modelers use.
http://www.scaasis.com/aboutus.asp

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 6:16*pm, gary wrote:
The lighthouse broke off my "Alcatraz Island Lighthouse Figurine From
Scaasis". *How can I glue it back on?

*IF* you're serious about a high quality repair, check with the
Smithsonian about recommendations.

I got something like 5 different methods, with each escalating in cost
depending on the 'quality/invisibility' you wanted.

Yes, each involved glue/adhesives, but there is a MYRIAD of glue
choics out there, and these restoration people KNOW their stuff.

As I recall, most of the glues weren't even avilable on the general
market.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2012 12:23 AM, gary wrote:
Thanks, TDD,

What material is my figurine made from? In this photo, the break is
at the base of the lighthouse:

http://www.scaasis.com/description.a...3&ProdCat_ID=1

I noticed there was an Email address on the site, you might try an Email
asking them what material the item is made of and what may be their
recommendation for a repair.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 8:47*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 2/18/2012 12:23 AM, gary wrote:

Thanks, TDD,

What material is my figurine made from? *In this photo, the break is
at the base of the lighthouse:

http://www.scaasis.com/description.a...3&ProdCat_ID=1

I noticed there was an Email address on the site, you might try an Email
asking them what material the item is made of and what may be their
recommendation for a repair.

TDD

On their website, their "About Us" page says "...These lighthouses are
sculpted from resin..."

What kind of glue should I use for resin?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try some 5-minute epoxy

On 2/18/2012 2:17 PM, gary wrote:
On Feb 18, 8:47 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 2/18/2012 12:23 AM, gary wrote:

Thanks, TDD,

What material is my figurine made from? In this photo, the break is
at the base of the lighthouse:

http://www.scaasis.com/description.a...3&ProdCat_ID=1

I noticed there was an Email address on the site, you might try an Email
asking them what material the item is made of and what may be their
recommendation for a repair.

TDD

On their website, their "About Us" page says "...These lighthouses are
sculpted from resin..."
What kind of glue should I use for resin?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 2/18/2012 12:23 AM, gary wrote:

Thanks, TDD,

What material is my figurine made from? In this photo, the break is
at the base of the lighthouse:

http://www.scaasis.com/description.a...3&ProdCat_ID=1

I noticed there was an Email address on the site, you might try an
Email asking them what material the item is made of and what may be
their recommendation for a repair.

TDD

On their website, their "About Us" page says "...These lighthouses are
sculpted from resin..."

What kind of glue should I use for resin?

CA (cyanoacrylate AKA "Crazy Glue") will do nicely.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 2/17/2012 7:16 PM, gary wrote:
The lighthouse broke off my "Alcatraz Island Lighthouse Figurine From
Scaasis". How can I glue it back on?

Check out the glue recommend site:

http://www.thistothat.com/

TDD

Damn, do you ALWAYS have to do things the easy way? ;-)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 2/18/2012 12:23 AM, gary wrote:
Thanks, TDD,

What material is my figurine made from? In this photo, the break is
at the base of the lighthouse:

http://www.scaasis.com/description.a...3&ProdCat_ID=1

I noticed there was an Email address on the site, you might try an Email
asking them what material the item is made of and what may be their
recommendation for a repair.

TDD

IIRC, is that decorative stuff mostly (poly)phenolic resin?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

The "official" response from www.scaasis.com:

Glue the pieces together with school glue, and tape each piece into
place while it dries. Continue this process until the statue is
rebuilt. Allow it to dry overnight, so that the glue sets completely.

Remove the tape from the statue. Pull the pieces of tape off
carefully, so you don't break the glue loose. If the areas of repair
are smoothly bonded, lightly sandpaper the cracks, and touch up the
paint. Mix any colors, and test the colors on a scrap piece of white
paper before painting on the statue.

Check the statue for cracks, gouges or places that need filling. Tear
small pieces of tissue paper about 1/2 inch wide, crumble them up and
squish them into the cracks. Squirt some glue into the tissue paper
and continue smoothing until the surface is smooth.

Let the tissue and glue dry in the cracks. When it dries, it may
shrink into the crack. If it does, fill it with more tissue paper and
glue. Keep repeating this procedure until you fill all cracks, gouges
and lines. This process may take several days to complete, especially
if the statue was broken into a lot of pieces.

Sand any rough edges left from your repair. Be careful when you sand,
so as not to pull the tissue and glue out of the cracks. Refill any
cracks that you accidentally mess up.

Fill in the repaired areas with acrylic paint. Test the paint on a
scrap piece of paper before you paint on the sculpture. Paint the
damaged areas, and allow them to dry.

Read mo How to Repair a Polyresin Statue With Glue | eHow.com
http://www.ehow.com/how_6929787_repa...#ixzz1mw0OWiXv

Segmented Lighthouse 2 of 2 Kevin Miller[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 15 January 9th 09 07:43 PM
Segmented lighthouse 1 of 2 Kevin Miller[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 January 5th 09 05:42 PM
Need small electronic circuit w/speaker to be used in toy figurine? Perkowski Electronics 0 March 17th 06 02:51 PM
PAY - Lighthouse J T Woodworking 0 January 21st 05 09:14 PM
REQ: Lawn Lighthouse plans Mike Woodworking 0 November 1st 04 04:53 AM