Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why is older dishwasher not washing well?

On 2/7/2012 6:32 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Doc wrote:
Have a Hotpoint dishwasher from 1988. Still seems to run fine but does
a hit and miss job of cleaning. Leaves a noticeable film on glasses on
the top rack, is hit and miss on plates. Doesn't seem to matter what
detergent I use.

As far as I can tell there's still a strong jet of water getting
sprayed, gets plenty hot but it clearly seems to be less effective.
Any insights as to why this is?

In the past year or so, dishwasher detergent manufacturers, in obeisance to
the green gomers,snip

You obviously don't maintain a swimming pool or aquarium. Algae loves
phosphates and the algae makes it impossible to maintain healthy eco
systems.
Just Google: "why phosphates are bad" and "why algae is bad". You might
actually learn something.

Read, listen and learn. Then type something worthwhile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doc wrote:
[...]

my dishwasher doesn't empty into either my pool or fishtank. it empties
into my septic system, and the nearest water source is about 600' down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doc wrote:
[...]

Are you the OP?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septic_tank

Go down to Environmental Issues and Potential problems. Wiki doesn't cut
and paste well.

There is a lot of information available about the importance of reducing
phosphates in septic systems.

Where are you located?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doc wrote:
[...]

that's why my graywater items tee into the laterals DOWNSTREAM from the
tank. Then daylight ontop the ground for proper evaporation.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doc wrote:
Have a Hotpoint dishwasher from 1988. Still seems to run fine but
does a hit and miss job of cleaning. Leaves a noticeable film on
glasses on the top rack, is hit and miss on plates. Doesn't seem to
matter what detergent I use.

As far as I can tell there's still a strong jet of water getting
sprayed, gets plenty hot but it clearly seems to be less effective.
Any insights as to why this is?

In the past year or so, dishwasher detergent manufacturers, in
obeisance to the green gomers,snip

You obviously don't maintain a swimming pool or aquarium. Algae loves
phosphates and the algae makes it impossible to maintain healthy eco
systems.
Just Google: "why phosphates are bad" and "why algae is bad". You
might actually learn something.

Read, listen and learn. Then type something worthwhile.

Algae are PART of the eco system. That said, I don't give a **** about
algae.

You might read how all this silliness got started, but here's the short
answer. A trickle of a stream in Oregon (I think it was Oregon) experienced
an unusual and persistent algae bloom. Searching for a cause, the eco-nuts
decided the algae was the result of phosphates found in dishwashing
detergent. (They gave NO thought to fertilizer run-off from nearby farms.)
In a flurry of doing something, the legislature, led by unattractive women
wearing fake Batik sweaters piling at the elbows, immediately passed a law
making illegal the selling of diswashing detergent containing phosphates.

Other states followed. Soon, detergent manufacturers, despairing of
maintaining two formulations and shipping snafus, quit putting phosphates in
ALL their detergents.

The facts are these:
* In 50-odd years of dishwashing detergents, there has been only ONE algae
bloom allegedly caused by dishwashing phosphates.
* Even that ONE event is highly contentious.
* The impetus for removing phosphates was a POLITICAL decision, not a
scientific one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doc wrote:
[...]

Don't you just love "Junk Science"? When people started freezing,
"Global Warming" soon morphed into "Climate Change" and it happened
so quickly that the sheeple didn't notice and the media ignored it.
I also love the controversy over banning dihydrogen monoxide by the
morons in charge. o_O

TDD