Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Granite Counter Tops

Dan Espen wrote in :

" writes:

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 13:32:23 -0500, Frank

Only product I was familiar with was Corian and thought it a good
product.

That does scratch easily. I don't really like the "plastic" feel,
either. It's not bad in the bathroom but I wouldn't want it in the
kitchen. In any case, it's quite a bit more expensive than the
cheaper granite (granite has about a 4x price range, depending on
color).

I must not be trying hard enough.
I can't imagine how one would go about scratching Corian.
Their web site says scratches can be easily repaired.

We had a Corian sink in a bathroom in a previous home. I liked it at
first, but then a plumber put his cigaret on it. Bad move. I think we
got it rubbed out, but the fag actually melted and discolored it. After
that we moved and fired that plumber ...

Corian is expensive and by far not as good for counters as manmade
"quartz" or similar hard material, including granite. As mentioned I
love our quartz-type material - Silestone®

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

" writes:

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 13:14:55 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

" writes:

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 13:32:23 -0500, Frank

Only product I was familiar with was Corian and thought it a good product.

That does scratch easily. I don't really like the "plastic" feel, either.
It's not bad in the bathroom but I wouldn't want it in the kitchen. In any
case, it's quite a bit more expensive than the cheaper granite (granite has
about a 4x price range, depending on color).

I must not be trying hard enough.
I can't imagine how one would go about scratching Corian.

A knife.

I'm using a piece of Corian left over from the counter as a cutting
board. Twelve years so far. Sure the knife leaves lines, but you have
to look really close and it really doesn't look bad.

I wouldn't cut directly on granite. Wouldn't a knife do the same thing
to granite?

Their web site says scratches can be easily repaired.

Sure, by a professional. So can wood and it's not plastic.

Nope, the web sites say soft scrub and a scouring pad.

We did have an problem with our Corian, we cooked a turkey in our
microwave with the microwave directly on the counter in a corner.
With a loud bang, the counter cracked from the wall to edge.

Corian fixed it for free. It's not possible to see the repair.

Anyway, everyone has their preferences. Stone looks pretty cool but
I'm sold on the practicality of Corian.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

" writes:

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 13:32:23 -0500, Frank
Only product I was familiar with was Corian and thought it a good product.

That does scratch easily. I don't really like the "plastic" feel, either.
It's not bad in the bathroom but I wouldn't want it in the kitchen. In any
case, it's quite a bit more expensive than the cheaper granite (granite has
about a 4x price range, depending on color).

I must not be trying hard enough.
I can't imagine how one would go about scratching Corian.

A knife.

I'm using a piece of Corian left over from the counter as a cutting
board. Twelve years so far. Sure the knife leaves lines, but you have
to look really close and it really doesn't look bad.

It will if there are enough.

I wouldn't cut directly on granite. Wouldn't a knife do the same thing
to granite?

I wouldn't either. It'll ruin the knife. Grainite, unsurprisingly, is a
*lot* harder than Corian (plastic).

Their web site says scratches can be easily repaired.

Sure, by a professional. So can wood and it's not plastic.

Nope, the web sites say soft scrub and a scouring pad.

Not when it's badly scratched. It has to be sanded out and it's not easy, so
I'm told by people with Corian, to make look right. For a kitchen, no thanks!
Granite is cheaper and better. I have no issue with Corian in a bath. I
might prefer it, actually.

We did have an problem with our Corian, we cooked a turkey in our
microwave with the microwave directly on the counter in a corner.
With a loud bang, the counter cracked from the wall to edge.

Corian fixed it for free. It's not possible to see the repair.

Because it *does* damage fairly easily.

Anyway, everyone has their preferences. Stone looks pretty cool but
I'm sold on the practicality of Corian.

That's the big advantage of granite. It's cool. Literally. ;-) It's great
for baking. SWMBO loves the island for rolling out dough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 13:24:43 -0600, gonjah gonjah.net wrote:

On 2/5/2012 10:21 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 23:46:31 -0600, gonjahgonjah.net wrote:

On 2/4/2012 11:42 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On 05 Feb 2012 05:27:37 GMT, wrote:

wrote in
:

Are granite counter tops a fad? Synthetic solid surface materials seem
to have a lot more appeal to me, but I don't know much about them.

My wife has indicated that she might want some sort of butcher block
counter tops. Are those in vogue any more?

o granite we must have granite. Man, those people are too stupid. Next
year it'll be something else.
No, after having granite countertops, she won't have anything else. They
actually *are* better than the laminate crap. Sorry if you can't afford it.

Some of those "crap" laminate counters hold up well for several years.

Sure, but crap is always crap. Once you go granite, she'll never go back to
laminate. BTDT.

We're getting granite in the kitchen. SWMBO insists. We already have
some in the bathroom. The laminate that's in the kitchen now looks fine.
It's at least 10 y/o because that's when we bought the house. It would
outlast me. Looks great and cleans up nice. Far from crap.

She's a smart woman. It *is* crap. Just because it "lasts" ten years doesn't
make it any less crappy. She'll love the granite.

We'll probably get silestone instead of granite. We go shopping this
week

From my experience, the quartz materials are about 2-3x the price of granite.
I really like some of them but would rather put the money into better granite.
Some of them are really pretty, but expensive (not sure how I'd like some
long-term, though).
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

From my experience, the quartz materials are about 2-3x the price of granite.
I really like some of them but would rather put the money into better granite.
Some of them are really pretty, but expensive (not sure how I'd like some
long-term, though).

We're going to need a unusual cut so I'm not sure we can use granite. We
have granite in the master and guest bath. I do like it. I'm hoping to
preserve some of our laminate counters for now due to cost. We have a
lot of counters so I want to do the most visible first. Due to costs I
want to do this in stages.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

From my experience, the quartz materials are about 2-3x the price of granite.
I really like some of them but would rather put the money into better granite.
Some of them are really pretty, but expensive (not sure how I'd like some
long-term, though).

We're going to need a unusual cut so I'm not sure we can use granite. We
have granite in the master and guest bath. I do like it. I'm hoping to
preserve some of our laminate counters for now due to cost. We have a
lot of counters so I want to do the most visible first. Due to costs I
want to do this in stages.

If you're not doing surfaces at the same time, be careful that they don't need
to be even close to matching. Matching stone is even harder than wood/stain.
We have five surfaces (not counting the second side of two 'L's) in the
kitchen. Different stone on them would look pretty bad. The two largest, the
'L's would look terrible if they didn't match. The others, at least, aren't
next to each other.

The only laminate we have in this house is in the laundry. All four baths
have granite tops. I'd rather they had made them all the same. :-(
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2012 4:07 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 15:52:31 -0600, gonjahgonjah.net wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

From my experience, the quartz materials are about 2-3x the price of granite.
[...]

Good point. I'll have to look into that. I'm not sure how much it would
matter but I don't make those types of executive decisions around here.
The counters are tiered so not matching might be a good thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

From my experience, the quartz materials are about 2-3x the price of granite.
[...]

Same as ours. It might also be that "close" isn't nearly as good as not so
close.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2012 2:58 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
z writes:

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 13:14:55 -0500, Dan wrote:

z writes:

[...]

Corian makes a repair kit consisting of two parts, one colored polymer
in acrylic monomer and the other a curing agent.

The Corian itself is acrylic polymer with alumina filler.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2012 2:29 PM, Han wrote:
Dan wrote in :

z writes:

[...]

I'm pretty sure Silestone is quartz chips with resin binder. A
cigarette left burning on it would have the same effect. I think most
of these quartz products are all chips bonded by resin.

None of these counter tops are made from expensive materials but they
are expensive because of the machining required to make the product and
the shop work to make the customized counter. Also there has to be a
large inventory of custom designs which adds to overall cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

z writes:

[...]

people who worship the granite god are not interested in practicality.
They are only interested in the 'look at me' syndrome.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

z writes:

[...]

You're absolutely clueless. Granite is better than almost all kitchen
surfaces available (concrete might do as well but its ugly).

There is a reason granite is used in pizza ovens. The same principles are at
work for baking.

They are only interested in the 'look at me' syndrome.

Not at all. It's just better. Those who rail against granite are only
interested in the "Wa, I'm jealous" syndrome; the same sorts as the "occupy"
crowd.
Posted to alt.home.repair

z writes:

[...]

suit yourself asshole. I could afford solid gold, but mine are quartz.
thanks for playing. Granite and stainless are merely fads you got
caught up in.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

" writes:

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 14:58:01 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
Anyway, everyone has their preferences. Stone looks pretty cool but
I'm sold on the practicality of Corian.

That's the big advantage of granite. It's cool. Literally. ;-) It's great
for baking. SWMBO loves the island for rolling out dough.

I couldn't convince to worry about the radioactivity?

Maybe we _will_ try stone for the next kitchen, if we live that long.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:14:44 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

" writes:

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 14:58:01 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
Anyway, everyone has their preferences. Stone looks pretty cool but
I'm sold on the practicality of Corian.

That's the big advantage of granite. It's cool. Literally. ;-) It's great
for baking. SWMBO loves the island for rolling out dough.

I couldn't convince to worry about the radioactivity?

Nah, she hasn't been a liberal since the '60s. ;-)

Maybe we _will_ try stone for the next kitchen, if we live that long.

Warning, she won't let you go back. We're looking at a new house now (I've
taken a job 75mi from here) and she won't give up her granite. If the house
we're looking at has laminate, I have to remind her that it can be replaced
(essentially promising). It would likely have to be replaced before she even
moves in. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

z writes:

[...]

I have, but your free to continue whining.

I could afford solid gold, but mine are quartz.

Yeah, right... Your obvious jealous rant belies your claim.

thanks for playing. Granite and stainless are merely fads you got
caught up in.

I might agree with you on stainless (it serves no real purpose, but to look
pretty) but you're dead wrong about granite.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 2/4/2012 12:58 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 14:01:33 -0500, "
wrote:

In any
case, it's quite a bit more expensive than the cheaper granite (granite has
about a 4x price range, depending on color).

Granite can be bought much thinner now. Supposed to get the price
down so more people can afford it.

I remember seeing one advertisement for granite and it was touting that
the thicker granite they sold was better for a do-it-yourselfer because
there was no need for a plywood underlayment, and it's easier to work
with because it's less likely to break during installation than the thin
sheets. The thicker granite is one piece with rolled edges while the
thinner granite (3/4") has the bullnose glued on so it appears thick.

I know that ads for new homes tout "granite counter tops" as if granite
is some exotic expensive material. At least out on the west coast,
granite is very inexpensive because so much of it is being imported from
China and being sold at non-traditional stores. Your color choices are
more limited than what you can get at the higher end kitchen and bath
stores, and are more akin to what you'll find a the big box hardware
stores, but at much lower cost. In fact we saw the same granite we
bought being sold at Home Depot at a much higher price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 08:15:11 -0800, SMS
wrote:

Granite can be bought much thinner now. Supposed to get the price
down so more people can afford it.

I remember seeing one advertisement for granite and it was touting that
the thicker granite they sold was better for a do-it-yourselfer because
there was no need for a plywood underlayment, and it's easier to work
with because it's less likely to break during installation than the thin
sheets. The thicker granite is one piece with rolled edges while the
thinner granite (3/4") has the bullnose glued on so it appears thick.

I've watched installs of granite at 3 homes. Every one had an
underlay -- 5/8 3/4-inch I guess, at least. These were thick granite.

Mine has the same. Installers use wedges under the granite. for level
and such. I have been known to stand on my granite tops without
cracking them... :-\

Guy takes measurements, makes a template and then on install-day a
truck load of workers show up. Few hours -- done!