Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Press-on fittings and valve info?

I need to replumb a kitchen sink and I saw some sharkbite fittings and
valves that appear to just "push" onto the 1/2" copper pipe. I plan
to install two ball valves, a "T" for the dishwasher feed and a couple
of adapters to connect the Delta faucet.

Has anyone used this type of fitting yet and if so what were your
experiences and/or opinions?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2012 9:37 PM, wrote:
I need to replumb a kitchen sink and I saw some sharkbite fittings and
valves that appear to just "push" onto the 1/2" copper pipe. I plan
to install two ball valves, a "T" for the dishwasher feed and a couple
of adapters to connect the Delta faucet.

Has anyone used this type of fitting yet and if so what were your
experiences and/or opinions?

Thanks

I have tried 4 "sharkbite" type fittings the last two years and one i
have a concern with one and the other three are a-ok.

The one I have a concern with is an elbow on a hot water supply to
kitchen, 1/2" copper pipe. This supply is used often and I notice
blue/green copper corrision at the joint. Pipe is secured furthur down
the line to the floor joists so it doesn't "move" when tap or dishwasher
is turn on and off quickly. I'm worried about that elbow though and I
think it will fail based on the corrosion but will it fail tomorrow or
in 20 years.....

The remaining three sharkbites are all valves. On/off ball valve type
that move 90 degrees with a handle. No problems there. All on cold
water supply, all on copper pipe.

One thing I notice with sharkbite is that your pipe HAS to be burr free
and cut straight or it will not "push" into the connection. I always
use a copper pipe cutting tool to ensure accurate straight cuts.

I do not own a propane torch although it's about time I did and taught
myself pipe soldering, even though PEX seems to be the way things are going.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is a pic of my one sharkbite fitting I have concerns with.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchman171/6786857355/

I was hanging a cup under it for about 6 months with never a drop of
water collecting in it.

The other three I've installed are as clean as brand new!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 22:28:17 -0500, Duesenberg wrote:

Here is a pic of my one sharkbite fitting I have concerns with.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchman171/6786857355/

I was hanging a cup under it for about 6 months with never a drop of
water collecting in it.

The other three I've installed are as clean as brand new!

Thank you for the feedback. I did more research myself and have
decided to give the ball valves a try along with a service tee for the
dishwasher feed.

If the corrosion hasn't increased over time could it be from the
original connection, perhaps a little spillage when installed,
especially if you have well water (untreated)?

Thanks again.