Posted to alt.home.repair

Default problem with Weil Mclean Boiler

I repaced my heating system 4 years ago with an oil fired Weil Mclean
system. The burner is a Beckett. Occasionally theboiler fires up and
then shuts down a few seconds later. The service guy claimed that it
was a bad transformer. I don't think he knws what the real problem is.
These guys are butchers. They change parts and charge a lot of money
and they are not sure what the probelm is. They dont know how to test
the parts to see if they are defective.
Anyone have aclue about what the problem could be?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 10:45*pm, finiteguy wrote:
I repaced my heating system 4 years ago with an oil fired Weil Mclean
system. The burner is a Beckett. Occasionally theboiler fires up and
then shuts down a few seconds later. The service guy claimed that it
was a bad transformer. I don't think he knws what the real problem is.
These guys are butchers. They change parts and charge a lot of money
and they are not sure what the probelm is. They dont know how to test
the parts to see if they are defective.
Anyone have aclue about what the problem could be?

Do you have a voltmeter? If so, just monitor the output voltage from
the transformer when things are normal, leave it hooked up, and at the
next failure check the voltmeter to see if it is still putting out the
same voltage. This is basic, if you don't understand then find a
helpful handy neighbor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Worth asking, did the tech mean the high voltage transformer that creates
the electric arc? Or the low voltage transformer that does the controls?

The high voltage transformer, I'd not want to try and read the output of
that. Ouch!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

Do you have a voltmeter? If so, just monitor the output voltage from
the transformer when things are normal, leave it hooked up, and at the
next failure check the voltmeter to see if it is still putting out the
same voltage. This is basic, if you don't understand then find a
helpful handy neighbor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

low on fuel
clogged fuel filter
clogged nozzle
dirty cad cell
electrodes set wrong
high voltage transformer going weak
faulty limit switch
combustion air flow problems

I can go on, keep guessing. But, it's necessary to be there, and actually
check things.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"finiteguy" wrote in message
I repaced my heating system 4 years ago with an oil fired Weil Mclean
system. The burner is a Beckett. Occasionally theboiler fires up and
then shuts down a few seconds later. The service guy claimed that it
was a bad transformer. I don't think he knws what the real problem is.
These guys are butchers. They change parts and charge a lot of money
and they are not sure what the probelm is. They dont know how to test
the parts to see if they are defective.
Anyone have aclue about what the problem could be?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:45:50 -0800 (PST), finiteguy
wrote:

I repaced my heating system 4 years ago with an oil fired Weil Mclean
system. The burner is a Beckett. Occasionally theboiler fires up and
then shuts down a few seconds later. The service guy claimed that it
was a bad transformer. I don't think he knws what the real problem is.
These guys are butchers. They change parts and charge a lot of money
and they are not sure what the probelm is. They dont know how to test
the parts to see if they are defective.
Anyone have aclue about what the problem could be?

Could be many things. Beckett is a very common burner for many
brands. Find a new service outfit. I dare to say, anyone servicing
oil burners will know the Beckett and can get parts if needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2012 11:45 PM, finiteguy wrote:
I repaced my heating system 4 years ago with an oil fired Weil Mclean
system. The burner is a Beckett. Occasionally theboiler fires up and
then shuts down a few seconds later. The service guy claimed that it
was a bad transformer. I don't think he knws what the real problem is.
These guys are butchers. They change parts and charge a lot of money
and they are not sure what the probelm is. They dont know how to test
the parts to see if they are defective.
Anyone have aclue about what the problem could be?

You need to take note of the temperature of the water in the boiler when
it shuts off. If the boiler controls are set up for "cold start"
operation, the burner will only come on when a zone calls for heat,
provided that the water temperature is not already at the high limit
setting. During the cold weather season it's pretty common for a zone to
turn the burner on just below the point that the high limit will turn it
off, so after a couple of seconds, the burner shuts down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I repaced my heating system 4 years ago with an oil fired Weil Mclean
system. The burner is a Beckett. Occasionally theboiler fires up and
then shuts down a few seconds later. The service guy claimed that it
was a bad transformer. I don't think he knws what the real problem is.
These guys are butchers. They change parts and charge a lot of money
and they are not sure what the probelm is. They dont know how to test
the parts to see if they are defective.
Anyone have aclue about what the problem could be?

That's classic behavior for bad flame sensing in my experience.
Did you or the service clean the flame sensor?

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

finiteguy wrote the following on 1/25/2012 11:45 PM (ET):
I repaced my heating system 4 years ago with an oil fired Weil Mclean
system. The burner is a Beckett. Occasionally theboiler fires up and
then shuts down a few seconds later. The service guy claimed that it
was a bad transformer. I don't think he knws what the real problem is.
These guys are butchers. They change parts and charge a lot of money
and they are not sure what the probelm is. They dont know how to test
the parts to see if they are defective.
Anyone have aclue about what the problem could be?

On occasion over the years, my boiler has kicked on for a second or two
and then shut itself off. Although being curious, I have never thought
of it as being a problem, so I never asked about it.
Since it never interfered with the regular heating cycle, I assumed it
was an automatic check start feature for whatever reason.
If and when it ONLY comes on for a second or two and no longer, I will
have it checked.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 9:57*am, willshak wrote:
finiteguy wrote the following on 1/25/2012 11:45 PM (ET):

I repaced my heating system 4 years ago with an oil fired Weil Mclean
system. The burner is a Beckett. Occasionally theboiler fires up and
then shuts down a few seconds later. The service guy claimed that it
was a bad transformer. I don't think he knws what the real problem is.
These guys are butchers. They change parts and charge a lot of money
and they are not sure what the probelm is. They dont know how to test
the parts to see if they are defective.
Anyone have aclue about what the problem could be?

The heating system does work ok normally. I never loose heat or hot
water. It occasionally cycles on and off for a few seconds (as I
described) but not very often. I'm inclined to leave it alone until it
really breaks.

By the way, this system saved me a bundle of money. It replaced my old
coal converted pig and i save about 300 gallons of oil per year. It
has probably paid for itself by now. I think I paid $5000. and that
included professionally removing asbestos along with the old boiler.

On occasion over the years, my boiler has kicked on for a second or two
and then shut itself off. Although being curious, I have never thought
of it as being a problem, so I never asked about it.
Since it never interfered with the regular heating cycle, I assumed it
was an automatic check start feature for whatever reason.
If and when it ONLY comes on for a second or two and no longer, I will
have it checked.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 8:27*pm, finiteguy wrote:
On Jan 26, 8:48*am, George wrote:

On 1/26/2012 12:27 AM, hr(bob) wrote:

On Jan 25, 10:45 pm, *wrote:
I repaced my heating system 4 years ago with an oil fired Weil Mclean
system. The burner is a Beckett. Occasionally theboiler fires up and
then shuts down a few seconds later. The service guy claimed that it
was a bad transformer. I don't think he knws what the real problem is.
These guys are butchers. They change parts and charge a lot of money
and they are not sure what the probelm is. They dont know how to test
the parts to see if they are defective.
Anyone have aclue about what the problem could be?

Do you have a voltmeter? *If so, just monitor the output voltage from
the transformer when things are normal, leave it hooked up, and at the
next failure check the voltmeter to see if it is still putting out the
same voltage. *This is basic, if you don't understand then find a
helpful handy neighbor.

Likely most home meters cannot handle the typical 10 kV output from an
oil burner ignition transformer.

So, I should unbolt the transformer,tilt it back, turn on the burner
and measure the voltage? The burner will be pumpin goil into the fire
box with no ignition. This won't cause a problem? I think my voltmeter
does measure 10 Kv but I dont want to get zapped.

no!
don't try to measure the 10kV!

this is a very bad idea because

1) the voltage is too high for you to safely measure
2) the oil will be pumping

what you want to see is , does the fire actually start for the few
seconds before it shuts off..

that will tell you if it is an ignition problem or a flame sense
problem

then we can go from there.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 10:45 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Mark- Hide quoted text -

Yes, the flame does actually start. I can hear it. The pump turns on
for about 10 seconds before the flame ignites and when it shuts off,
the pump runs for antoher 10 seconds. Actually I think its a blower
not the oil pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2012 12:10 AM, finiteguy wrote:

On Jan 25, 10:45 pm, wrote:
[...]

It sounds like you have a burner with pre purge and post purge, and
since the reset isn't popping out, it sounds like it's acting normally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 10:45 pm, *wrote:
[...]

if the flame starts then the unit shuts off, the HV xformer is good,
it is needed for ignition.

if the flame starts, then the unit shuts off, that sounds like the
flame sensor isn't working...

it might be a dirty "electric eye" that needs to be cleaned...

Google "flame sensor"

Mark