Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best Weatherstripping?

I live in an old house. Much of the weatherstripping on the doors is
felt or springy metal. At the local Lowes / HD all you can find is the
self-adhesive foam strips which last about one year -- or they have
the better looking stuff which slides into a track -- I suppose this
is for the tracks in the frame of a sliding glass door. What would you
consider to be the optimum weatherstripping for an exterior wooden
door and where do you buy it? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 08:28:38 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

I live in an old house. Much of the weatherstripping on the doors is
felt or springy metal. At the local Lowes / HD all you can find is the
self-adhesive foam strips which last about one year -- or they have
the better looking stuff which slides into a track -- I suppose this
is for the tracks in the frame of a sliding glass door.

My ?15? year old Peachtree door has tracks in the wooden part of the
frame. Those foam strips are the best I've found & if I was going
to try to weatherproof an entrance door I'd give some thought to
replacing the door with an insulated door.

If that is out of the question, I'd take a good look at some
doorframes and see if I could 'aftermarket' those foam strips in a
track. They not only work well for a long time-- If they wear out,
or the cat eats them, it takes minutes to replace them.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej wrote:

I live in an old house. Much of the weatherstripping on the doors is
felt or springy metal. At the local Lowes / HD all you can find is the
self-adhesive foam strips which last about one year -- or they have
the better looking stuff which slides into a track -- I suppose this
is for the tracks in the frame of a sliding glass door. What would you
consider to be the optimum weatherstripping for an exterior wooden
door and where do you buy it? Thanks.

Plastic fin seal, AKA V-seal. It's a strip of plastic you fold down
the middle and then stick to the door frame. Try to keep it
absolutely straight or there will be ripples where it fits against the
door.
I think Frost King and M-D Building Products make it, but Ace Hardware
may have its own brand.

M-D Building Products 3525 V-Flex:

http://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-P...340037&sr=1-19

There are 3 kinds of foam weatherstripping. Open cell is usually
urethane, while closed cell is either vinyl or EPDM rubber. The
latter is virtually impervious to ozone and UV rays, and is often
labelled for really cold weather.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in an old house. Much of the weatherstripping on the doors is
felt or springy metal. At the local Lowes / HD all you can find is the
self-adhesive foam strips which last about one year -- or they have
the better looking stuff which slides into a track -- I suppose this
is for the tracks in the frame of a sliding glass door. What would you
consider to be the optimum weatherstripping for an exterior wooden
door and where do you buy it? Thanks.

Spring loaded vinyl weatherstrip that screws to the face of the
door-jam on the inside, so that it is displaced inwards when the door
closes against it - assuming door swings out. Opposite if door swings
in. Available at good hardware and building supply stores everywhere.

Magnetic if you have a steel door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in an old house. Much of the weatherstripping on the doors is
felt or springy metal. At the local Lowes / HD all you can find is the
self-adhesive foam strips which last about one year -- or they have
the better looking stuff which slides into a track -- I suppose this
is for the tracks in the frame of a sliding glass door. What would you
consider to be the optimum weatherstripping for an exterior wooden
door and where do you buy it? Thanks.

*Spring loaded vinyl weatherstrip that screws to the face of the
door-jam on the inside, so that it is displaced inwards when the door
closes against it - assuming door swings out. Opposite if door swings
in. Available at good hardware and building supply stores everywhere.

Magnetic if you have a steel door.

When we lived overseas our doors all had an extra lip on them. Hard
to describe, but the core of the door fit into the jamb, then an extra
layer on the back of the door overlapped the jamb opening on all
sides. The seal was close to perfect without the weatherstripping,
and with the addition of the weatherstrip it was airtight. I have not
seen this approach in the US but who knows?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

I live in an old house. Much of the weatherstripping on the doors is
felt or springy metal. At the local Lowes / HD all you can find is the
self-adhesive foam strips which last about one year -- or they have
the better looking stuff which slides into a track -- I suppose this
is for the tracks in the frame of a sliding glass door. What would you
consider to be the optimum weatherstripping for an exterior wooden
door and where do you buy it? Thanks.

*Spring loaded vinyl weatherstrip that screws to the face of the
door-jam on the inside, so that it is displaced inwards when the door
closes against it - assuming door swings out. Opposite if door swings
in. Available at good hardware and building supply stores everywhere.

Link to what you are talking about please.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in an old house. Much of the weatherstripping on the doors is
felt or springy metal. At the local Lowes / HD all you can find is the
self-adhesive foam strips which last about one year -- or they have
the better looking stuff which slides into a track -- I suppose this
is for the tracks in the frame of a sliding glass door. What would you
consider to be the optimum weatherstripping for an exterior wooden
door and where do you buy it? Thanks.

Â*Spring loaded vinyl weatherstrip that screws to the face of the
door-jam on the inside, so that it is displaced inwards when the door
closes against it - assuming door swings out. Opposite if door swings
in. Available at good hardware and building supply stores everywhere.

Link to what you are talking about please.

Not exactly what I was looking at, but close:
http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/do..._doorseals.htm

This is the stuff that is currently available at Home Despot:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/viny...ripping/941451

Metro/Amre carries this:

http://www.metrosupply.ca/product/25...ng-465583-WF75

For instructions see:
http://www.creativehomeowner.com/ind...ectid=chhva032

The 157-198 on this page as well:

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in an old house. Much of the weatherstripping on the doors is
felt or springy metal. At the local Lowes / HD all you can find is the
self-adhesive foam strips which last about one year -- or they have
the better looking stuff which slides into a track -- I suppose this
is for the tracks in the frame of a sliding glass door. What would you
consider to be the optimum weatherstripping for an exterior wooden
door and where do you buy it? Thanks.

Â*Spring loaded vinyl weatherstrip that screws to the face of the
door-jam on the inside, so that it is displaced inwards when the door
closes against it - assuming door swings out. Opposite if door swings
in. Available at good hardware and building supply stores everywhere.

Link to what you are talking about please.

http://rcr-energysaving.com/doors_set.php#157198
Posted to alt.home.repair

How are you putting the weather-stripping on? The hinge side of the door so the door closes on it and crushes it towards the wall? Or on the frame on the knob side of the door so the door crushes it towards the outside? Because I've got weather-stripping on doors that's lasted a very long time. Maybe wipe the surface down with warm water (not soap) and let it dry before you apply the weather-stripping? By the way, if you are installing it so the door brushes against the weather-stripping sideways as you close the door it'll rip off pretty quickly.