Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot tub wiring

Can I use 2/12 wiring for a 240 volt 22 amp hot tub.? I have about 50
feet of 2/12 wire already wired from my electrical panel to outside.
This wire used to be for a pool heater but I no longer have the heater
therefore the wire will carry no other load except the hot tub. I
would connect this wire to a gfci box and the box would have #10 awg
going to the hot tub. can the 2/12 take the load safely?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2012 5:34 PM, MaryAnn LeSage wrote:
Can I use 2/12 wiring for a 240 volt 22 amp hot tub.? I have about 50
feet of 2/12 wire already wired from my electrical panel to outside.
This wire used to be for a pool heater but I no longer have the heater
therefore the wire will carry no other load except the hot tub. I
would connect this wire to a gfci box and the box would have #10 awg
going to the hot tub. can the 2/12 take the load safely?

No, you would need 10 gauge for a tub that draws 22 amps
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 5:34*pm, MaryAnn LeSage wrote:
Can I use 2/12 wiring for a 240 volt 22 amp hot tub.? I have about 50
feet of 2/12 wire already wired from my electrical panel to outside.
This wire used to be for a pool heater but I no longer have the heater
therefore the wire will carry no other load except the hot tub. I
would connect this wire to a gfci box and the box would have #10 awg
going to the hot tub. can the 2/12 take the load safely?

The short answer is no, you'd need 10 gauge. I'd also
look into the other specific reqts for hot tubs, ie accessible
disconnect nearby, GFCI, bonding of all nearby metal, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2012 4:34 PM, MaryAnn LeSage wrote:
Can I use 2/12 wiring for a 240 volt 22 amp hot tub.? I have about 50
feet of 2/12 wire already wired from my electrical panel to outside.
This wire used to be for a pool heater but I no longer have the heater
therefore the wire will carry no other load except the hot tub. I
would connect this wire to a gfci box and the box would have #10 awg
going to the hot tub. can the 2/12 take the load safely?

safely? yes. to code? no

if it's really drawing a constant 22A, then you should step up to 10/2
and a 30A breaker.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 5:34*pm, MaryAnn LeSage wrote:
Can I use 2/12 wiring for a 240 volt 22 amp hot tub.? I have about 50
feet of 2/12 wire already wired from my electrical panel to outside.
This wire used to be for a pool heater but I no longer have the heater
therefore the wire will carry no other load except the hot tub. I
would connect this wire to a gfci box and the box would have #10 awg
going to the hot tub. can the 2/12 take the load safely?

Do yourself a favor and call a qualified, licensed electrician to deal
with this project... You clearly have no clue of what you are doing
and mistakes which involve water near electricity are often fatal
ones...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, I'm sure you can. It just requires a wire stripper, and a screw driver.

That said, 12 gage is rated for 20 amps, and less than that if it's a long
run. So, while you CAN use the wire, it's not really heavy enough to carry
the load. It may also very possibly fail a code inspection. You also CAN use
18 gage lamp cord, if you want

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"MaryAnn LeSage" wrote in message
Can I use 2/12 wiring for a 240 volt 22 amp hot tub.? I have about 50
feet of 2/12 wire already wired from my electrical panel to outside.
This wire used to be for a pool heater but I no longer have the heater
therefore the wire will carry no other load except the hot tub. I
would connect this wire to a gfci box and the box would have #10 awg
going to the hot tub. can the 2/12 take the load safely?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can I use 2/12 wiring for a 240 volt 22 amp hot tub.? I have about 50
feet of 2/12 wire already wired from my electrical panel to outside.
This wire used to be for a pool heater but I no longer have the heater
therefore the wire will carry no other load except the hot tub. I
would connect this wire to a gfci box and the box would have #10 awg
going to the hot tub. can the 2/12 take the load safely?

*As others have stated, 12/2 is not suitable for your 22 amp load. Read the
manufacturer's installation instructions. They are usually very specific
about the electrical requirements. The electrical inspector may want to
reference the instructions before he approves of the installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 5:34*pm, MaryAnn LeSage wrote:
Can I use 2/12 wiring for a 240 volt 22 amp hot tub.? I have about 50
feet of 2/12 wire already wired from my electrical panel to outside.
This wire used to be for a pool heater but I no longer have the heater
therefore the wire will carry no other load except the hot tub. I
would connect this wire to a gfci box and the box would have #10 awg
going to the hot tub. can the 2/12 take the load safely?

IF you dont have the paperwork that came with the spa you can probably
google for it. Follow the recommendations.

Jimmie