Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Opinions: Lumber Lok Tri-Vise

Has anybody tried this product? It's $20 at my local Lowes.

Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a
foot on it, and cut.

I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy enough.

Might be awkward to hold a speed square on the board while trying to
stand on it though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771...ductId=3116981
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 20:42:55 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Has anybody tried this product? It's $20 at my local Lowes.

Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a
foot on it, and cut.

I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy enough.

Might be awkward to hold a speed square on the board while trying to
stand on it though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771...ductId=3116981

Looked like a solution looking for a problem, to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2012 10:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Has anybody tried this product? It's $20 at my local Lowes.

Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a
foot on it, and cut.

I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy enough.

Might be awkward to hold a speed square on the board while trying to
stand on it though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771...ductId=3116981

What a handy gadget, I may add it to my collection. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Has anybody tried this product? *It's $20 at my local Lowes.

Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a
foot on it, and cut.

I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy enough.

Might be awkward to hold a speed square on the board while trying to
stand on it though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771...ductId=3116981

Looked like a solution looking for a problem, to me.

Why do you say that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 10:14*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 1/21/2012 10:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Has anybody tried this product? *It's $20 at my local Lowes.

Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a
foot on it, and cut.

I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy enough.

Might be awkward to hold a speed square on the board while trying to
stand on it though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771...ductId=3116981

What a handy gadget, I may add it to my collection. ^_^

TDD

Yep. One does shouldn't have to stand on it, wrap a small concrete
block or couple of bricks in old carpet and set it on the board.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2012 10:03 AM, Harry K wrote:
On Jan 21, 10:14 pm, The Daring
wrote:
On 1/21/2012 10:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Has anybody tried this product? It's $20 at my local Lowes.

Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a
foot on it, and cut.

I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy enough.

Might be awkward to hold a speed square on the board while trying to
stand on it though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771...ductId=3116981

What a handy gadget, I may add it to my collection. ^_^

TDD

Yep. One does shouldn't have to stand on it, wrap a small concrete
block or couple of bricks in old carpet and set it on the board.

Harry K

The carpenters I know will often tie the safety guard back on a circular
saw because they're interested in getting things done
quickly. It would be interesting to see what builders would do
with such a gadget. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:24:34 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jan 22, 12:07Â*am, "
wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 20:42:55 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Has anybody tried this product? Â*It's $20 at my local Lowes.

Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a
foot on it, and cut.

I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy enough.

Might be awkward to hold a speed square on the board while trying to
stand on it though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771...ductId=3116981

Looked like a solution looking for a problem, to me.

Why do you say that?

Probably because, like for me, plain sawhorses work just as well, and
do a lot of other things too.
Who has a problem sawing a board on a sawhorse?
Or even a board laid on a couple bricks?
Looks real stupid to me, using a saw with one leg up bracing the work.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:24:34 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

Has anybody tried this product? *It's $20 at my local Lowes.

Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a
foot on it, and cut.

I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy enough.

Might be awkward to hold a speed square on the board while trying to
stand on it though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771...ductId=3116981

Looked like a solution looking for a problem, to me.

Why do you say that?

Probably because, like for me, plain sawhorses work just as well, and
do a lot of other things too.
Who has a problem sawing a board on a sawhorse?
Or even a board laid on a couple bricks?
Looks real stupid to me, using a saw with one leg up bracing the work.

Let me add-- If there is more than 1 or 2 cuts to be made, a pair of
sawhorse will be handy. I *hate* to bend over to do anything.
[used to be my back-- then it was a hiatal hernia, now it is just my
eyes-- I can't see well in the 2-4' range]

If there is only one or two cuts-- then I'll take one knee down and
use it for a prop.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 11:09:46 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

BTW, these work fine.
http://tinyurl.com/767zkwq
Got mine somewhere else, can't remember where.
Real handy for small, quick jobs.
Just hang them folded on a wall.

Have a couple of these too, and they're better for heavy work.
http://www.amazon.com/Fulton-Sawhors.../dp/B000COXQF0

They have Grizzlies on the same site for half the cost.
I didn't pay more than 5 bucks a set.
They make a nice horse, with top laid flat.
Small tools won't fall off.
They slap together in a minute or two once you've made the cuts.
And you decide horse height/ length when you cut.
Mine are long and high.

Used to hang them in the garage rafters, but gave up on that after
my head hit them too many times.
Now I break them down after use, hang the brackets in a bag on a nail,
2x4 pieces stacked under.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:24:34 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

Has anybody tried this product? *It's $20 at my local Lowes.

Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a
foot on it, and cut.

I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy enough.

Might be awkward to hold a speed square on the board while trying to
stand on it though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771...ductId=3116981

Looked like a solution looking for a problem, to me.

Why do you say that?

Because a couple of saw horses work just fine. I have ten or so of the
plastic folding kind. They work really well for this sort of thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 1:33*pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:24:34 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

Has anybody tried this product? *It's $20 at my local Lowes.

Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a
foot on it, and cut.

I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy enough.

Might be awkward to hold a speed square on the board while trying to
stand on it though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771...ductId=3116981

Looked like a solution looking for a problem, to me.

Why do you say that?

Because a couple of saw horses work just fine. *I have ten or so of the
plastic folding kind. *They work really well for this sort of thing.

I guess it all depends on what you're doing. Just this morning I made
a small PT platform for a neighbor's garbage cans. 3 cuts on 5/4
decking and 5 cuts on 2 x4's.

I used my plastic saw horses, but they were something extra to cary
down the block - and back. I can see how one of those devices would
have worked just fine and could have been carried along with my saw
and drill, saving a trip in both directions.

Point being, for $10 it might not be a bad idea when you have a small
jobs with just a couple of cuts.

BTW I asked the same question over in rec.woodworking and got the same
mixed response.

One guy said he uses one mostly for landscaping timbers. I quote "It's
useful enough that it stays at the front of the hanging tools. "

In the video below, the guy uses the device while building a deck.
Advantage appears to be that he can prop his wood anywhere he happens
to be cutting instead of having to go to where the saw horses are.
Just grab and cut. I can see advantages...but I'm not running right
out to buy one. ;-)

This video also shows that they make one for plumbers and electricians
too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdjLCAnWrZ8
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 13:41:29 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jan 22, 1:33*pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:24:34 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I'd spend more time finding the stupid thing than hauling out the saw horses.
I have enough (from when I was refinishing all the doors in my previous house)
to have scattered in all the areas I might need them.

BTW I asked the same question over in rec.woodworking and got the same
mixed response.

One guy said he uses one mostly for landscaping timbers. I quote "It's
useful enough that it stays at the front of the hanging tools. "

In the video below, the guy uses the device while building a deck.
Advantage appears to be that he can prop his wood anywhere he happens
to be cutting instead of having to go to where the saw horses are.
Just grab and cut. I can see advantages...but I'm not running right
out to buy one. ;-)

I'd rather keep all the tools in one spot when I'm doing that sort of work. In
fact, I'd be using a SCMS, so this thing would just get in the way. ;-)

This video also shows that they make one for plumbers and electricians
too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdjLCAnWrZ8

I've seen them. More solutions looking for problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 13:41:29 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jan 22, 1:33*pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:24:34 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That is really a cool tool. I like it. If I were doing, say crown
molding for a living I would grab this gizmo.

Video:

"Our Jigs Takes the Guess Work Out of Cutting and Coping
Crown Molding using a jig saw!"

http://www.easycoper.com/video.htm

(use the Bosch blades)

First I have my eyes on the kreg-jig pocket hole do-dad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 15:07:36 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 13:41:29 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jan 22, 1:33Â*pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:24:34 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

Has anybody tried this product? Â*It's $20 at my local Lowes.

Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a
foot on it, and cut.

I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy enough.

Might be awkward to hold a speed square on the board while trying to
stand on it though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771...ductId=3116981

Looked like a solution looking for a problem, to me.

Why do you say that?

Because a couple of saw horses work just fine. Â*I have ten or so of the
plastic folding kind. Â*They work really well for this sort of thing.

[...]

A couple years ago I put up about 180' feet of crown.
Didn't cope anything, all mitered corner joints.
No special fixtures needed.
Just a circ saw that could miter.
Personally I think mitered looks better than coped.
I just don't get why people still cope these, or use a coping or
jigsaw to cut.

Old-timer syndrome, I suspect.
But if that's how they want to do it, I won't argue with them.

Even Silva from this old house coped the inside corner in this vid.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...056482,00.html
Completely unnecessary.
Only had to reverse the crown ends on the same saw!

This guy has it right.
http://www.howcast.com/videos/1886-H...-Crown-Molding

I didn't need that stop he built, just held the crown against the
fence, like Silva did.

--Vic