Posted to alt.homebrewing,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default How to price a wine rack (Kedco KM series 24"x 46 3/8" x 38 7/8")

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:49:23 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote
(in article
):

On Jan 20, 10:32*am, Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:08:40 +0000, Chuck Banshee wrote:
What should I expect to pay for two of these wine racks if I have them
custom built?

Here's a better picture closeup of the construction & materials:
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7387427.gif

And, this closer closeup shows how the wood cross member is shaped:
*http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7387434.gif

This shows what the entire rack would look like when done:
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7387437.gif

Any idea what this would cost to have built?

Good detail. This is a really specific design. It includes metal work.
This type of thing is afforadble when mass produced but doing one-off
it will be hard to find someone with the right skills and to get at a
decent price.

I did my typical quick take off. I see about $250+ in materials 20+
hrs of wood and metal labor and I would round up to 30 to be sure. If
I get $50 hr shop time + 30% profit I am at $2,275

Detail:
Wood material = 18bf @ $6 per

Wood labor in hrs
Prep wood 2
Rip wood 1
chamfer wood 2
End kerfs 2
Sand 2
Finish 4

Metal material Guess $150

Metal labor
cut metal 2
cut lap kerfs in metal 2
Prep and paint 2

Project completion
Assemble 3

I agree with SP on his detailed breakdown. Nothing to the construction looks
difficult, just very repetitive cuts. Fixtures for the crosscuts and batch
slotting the metal would speed the process significantly although I think the
metal work would take longer in the Prep-n-Paint stage.

-Bruce

Posted to alt.homebrewing,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:19:50 -0700, Bruce wrote:

I think the
metal work would take longer in the Prep-n-Paint stage.

I think the aluminum in the front is anodized (gold or black).

And, in the back, it's just metal wire cross members that are not visible
from the front so they are NOT anodized.

I've never anodized anything. Do you think paint would stay on over time?
Posted to alt.homebrewing,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 16:24:52 -0700, Chuck Banshee wrote
(in article ):

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:19:50 -0700, Bruce wrote:

I think the
metal work would take longer in the Prep-n-Paint stage.

I think the aluminum in the front is anodized (gold or black).

And, in the back, it's just metal wire cross members that are not visible
from the front so they are NOT anodized.

I've never anodized anything. Do you think paint would stay on over time?

Depends 8^)

With good prep and paint it will last a long time. The key to painting
aluminum is to seal off the aluminum, kinda like a coat of shellac on problem
wood.

Best methods come from the aerospace industry, zinc chromate primer followed
by a urethane type paint (Imron is my favorite). Not something you usually
can do at home without a lot of preparation.

Anodizing can be pricey and you would get the best results if done after
making all the cuts, otherwise you could buy pre-anodized strips and figure a
way to blend in the areas where you disturb the surface.

If price is secondary, brass or copper would look nice and it would 'age'
with a nice patina. Steel, although cheap, would require something like a
chop saw to prep, but it also can be painted (think automotive paints) or
with some creativity can get a nice patina with gun bluing techniques or
heating with a propane torch to get some neat colors (then clear coating).

-Bruce

Junior Member

Location: New Jersey
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Petillo

Hey Bruce,
Its a year late but I just came upon your post. Are you still interested in getting those wine racks? I am the make of those specific racks. Our shop is located in New Jersey. Feel free to email me or give me a ring 732-859-6097.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post

*