Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall

What is the correct spacing for drywall screws for a wall and ceiling,
what I've found so far is 16" wall and 12" ceiling, I can't find
chicago code on this and a dry Waller doing a few hundred sheets for
me is about 16" on ceilings
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2012 5:41 PM, ransley wrote:
What is the correct spacing for drywall screws for a wall and ceiling,
what I've found so far is 16" wall and 12" ceiling, I can't find
chicago code on this and a dry Waller doing a few hundred sheets for
me is about 16" on ceilings

if you're talking 1/2" rock on studs spaced at 16" oc, then the screw
spacing is 12" ceiling and walls. If using nails, then it's 8" apart on
walls and 7" apart on ceilings. This all according to the 2006 IRC for
one and two family residences.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:41:04 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

What is the correct spacing for drywall screws for a wall and ceiling,
what I've found so far is 16" wall and 12" ceiling, I can't find
chicago code on this and a dry Waller doing a few hundred sheets for
me is about 16" on ceilings

Spacing of the screws will largely depend on the thickness of the
drywall on the ceiling. 5/8ths requires closer spacing than 1/2
drywall.

Many years since I hung any for a living (teen), but consider the
thickness.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is the correct spacing for drywall screws for a wall and ceiling,
what I've found so far is 16" wall and 12" ceiling, I can't find
chicago code on this and a dry Waller doing a few hundred sheets for
me is about 16" on ceilings

Spacing of the screws will largely depend on the thickness of the
drywall on the ceiling. 5/8ths requires closer spacing than 1/2
drywall.

Many years since I hung any for a living (teen), but consider the
thickness.

spacing is the same for 5/8 as it is for 1/2. the nail/screw length
requirement is different.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
What is the correct spacing for drywall screws for a wall and ceiling,
what I've found so far is 16" wall and 12" ceiling, I can't find
chicago code on this and a dry Waller *doing a few hundred sheets for
me is about 16" on ceilings

Spacing of the screws will largely depend on the thickness of the
drywall on the ceiling. 5/8ths requires closer spacing than 1/2
drywall.

Many years since I hung any for a living (teen), but consider the
thickness.

Ok thanks, it's 5/8

Call the building dept for whatever jurisdiction you are living in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 3:41*pm, ransley wrote:
What is the correct spacing for drywall screws for a wall and ceiling,
what I've found so far is 16" wall and 12" ceiling, I can't find
chicago code on this and a dry Waller *doing a few hundred sheets for
me is about 16" on ceilings

USG Gypsum Handbook

http://www.usg.com/documents/constru...k/chapter3.pdf
Page 111

wood framing
single layer drywall attached with nails
ceilings 7" o/c
side walls 8" o/c

When I've done ceilings, I've used ~6" o/c ......results in 1 extra
nail every 4' and it's easier for me to just keeping 1/2'ing the
spacing rather than worrying about 7" spacing.

wood framing
single layer drywall attached with screws
ceilings 12" o/c
side walls 16" o/c

fire rated walls & ceilings have different nail spacing as do shear
walls.

Looks like your installer needs a "do over".

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
What is the correct spacing for drywall screws for a wall and ceiling,
what I've found so far is 16" wall and 12" ceiling, I can't find
chicago code on this and a dry Waller *doing a few hundred sheets for
me is about 16" on ceilings

Spacing of the screws will largely depend on the thickness of the
drywall on the ceiling. 5/8ths requires closer spacing than 1/2
drywall.

Many years since I hung any for a living (teen), but consider the
thickness.

Ok thanks, it's 5/8

Call the building dept for whatever jurisdiction you are living in.

In Chicago you can't talk to anyone, it's all computer, you can't even
schedule an inspection by phone . I spent hours and all I get is to
leave a message. It's cut gov cut backs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

Call the building dept for whatever jurisdiction you are living in.

In Chicago you can't talk to anyone, it's all computer, you can't even
schedule an inspection by phone . I spent hours and all I get is to
leave a message. It's cut gov cut backs.

No, it's usually indolence and sloth.

In your case, it's Chicago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 4:56*am, ransley wrote:

wrote:
What is the correct spacing for drywall screws for a wall and ceiling,
what I've found so far is 16" wall and 12" ceiling, I can't find
chicago code on this and a dry Waller *doing a few hundred sheets for
me is about 16" on ceilings

Spacing of the screws will largely depend on the thickness of the
drywall on the ceiling. 5/8ths requires closer spacing than 1/2
drywall.

Many years since I hung any for a living (teen), but consider the
thickness.

Ok thanks, it's 5/8

Call the building dept for whatever jurisdiction you are living in.

In Chicago you can't talk to anyone, it's all computer, you can't even
schedule an inspection by phone . I spent hours and all I get is to
leave a message. It's cut gov cut backs.- Hide quoted text -

Then I'd try Evanston or Hinsdale or Naperville, they don't know where
you are calling from if you call from a cellphone.

Drywall Screws nasty greasy drywall screws... any reason not to use the gold ones? RockHound Woodworking 12 May 2nd 11 11:22 AM
drywall vs OSB big e lewis Home Repair 15 August 11th 07 06:51 AM
Drywall sag Eigenvector Home Repair 22 December 27th 06 01:43 AM
Drywall Griffo UK diy 1 March 8th 06 06:28 AM
Drywall myself or not?? [email protected] Home Repair 14 December 28th 04 12:23 AM