Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Popular Magazines You Never Heard Of

Number six is "Family Handyman", circulation 1,116,214. (The article says
1,116,213 but I just subscribed online.)

Number three is, of course, "American Rifleman" but you knew that.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-1...of-2012-1?op=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Number six is "Family Handyman", circulation 1,116,214. (The article
says 1,116,213 but I just subscribed online.)

I've heard of Family Handyman -- they sell it next to the checkouts at
Lowe's. Every issue, they print "how I screwed up" stories that readers
have sent, paying $100 for each one that sees print. The really
surprising thing to me about these stories is not the massive foolishness
that many of them display, but that so many people are willing to
embarrass themselves in public for only a hundred bucks.

Number three is, of course, "American Rifleman" but you knew that.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-1...lar-magazines-
youve-never-heard-of-2012-1?op=1

I've actually heard of five out of the eleven... including the Rifleman,
of course...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 01:26:09 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in
om:

Number six is "Family Handyman", circulation 1,116,214. (The article
says 1,116,213 but I just subscribed online.)

-snip-

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-1...lar-magazines-
youve-never-heard-of-2012-1?op=1

I've actually heard of five out of the eleven... including the Rifleman,
of course...

8 out of 11 here-- 2 come to the house. [and 3 others used to]

The cover they show of American Rifleman is a prime example of why
*it* doesn't come here any more. It is more about politics than guns.

Guns and Gardens is a new one-- cool title.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

8 out of 11 here-- 2 come to the house. [and 3 others used to]

The cover they show of American Rifleman is a prime example of why
*it* doesn't come here any more. It is more about politics than guns.

Regrettably, guns ARE political. Just this past week, California outlawed
open carry (of unloaded handguns). Now they're having to deal with the
unintended consequences.

Guess what? Open-carry advocates have a NEW technique to garner attention.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...136545603.html

Note motorcycle cop with offending shotgun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 01:26:09 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in
om:

Number six is "Family Handyman", circulation 1,116,214. (The article
says 1,116,213 but I just subscribed online.)

I've heard of Family Handyman -- they sell it next to the checkouts at
Lowe's. Every issue, they print "how I screwed up" stories that readers
have sent, paying $100 for each one that sees print. The really
surprising thing to me about these stories is not the massive foolishness
that many of them display, but that so many people are willing to
embarrass themselves in public for only a hundred bucks.

Number three is, of course, "American Rifleman" but you knew that.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-1...lar-magazines-
youve-never-heard-of-2012-1?op=1

I've actually heard of five out of the eleven... including the Rifleman,
of course...

Speaking of the Family Handyman goofs...

In today's economy I should send in all of mine. I'd be a
millionaire!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 07:21:12 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote Re Popular Magazines You Never Heard Of:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-1...lar-magazines-
youve-never-heard-of-2012-1?op=1

I've actually heard of five out of the eleven... including the Rifleman,
of course...

8 out of 11 here-- 2 come to the house. [and 3 others used to]

The cover they show of American Rifleman is a prime example of why
*it* doesn't come here any more. It is more about politics than guns.

Sadly, that what the Bill of Rights has become in the US: politics,
instead of guaranteed Rights.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 8:17*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Number six is "Family Handyman", circulation 1,116,214. (The article says
1,116,213 but I just subscribed online.)

Number three is, of course, "American Rifleman" but you knew that.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-1...pular-magazine...

Family Handyman

If you have any clue about being a "handyman" you'll be canceling your
subscription soon.

That rag has sucked for years. I used to get it about 10 years ago but
it was either wrong or so basic that it was a waste of time to read. I
recently picked up a copy at a doctor's office and found that nothing
had changed.

Once in a while they included a decent plan for something useful, but
for the most part there was never enough meat for it to be worth the
cost or the time spent reading it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2012 6:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 5, 8:17 pm, wrote:
Number six is "Family Handyman", circulation 1,116,214. (The article says
1,116,213 but I just subscribed online.)

Number three is, of course, "American Rifleman" but you knew that.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-1...pular-magazine...

Family Handyman

If you have any clue about being a "handyman" you'll be canceling your
subscription soon.

That rag has sucked for years. I used to get it about 10 years ago but
it was either wrong or so basic that it was a waste of time to read. I
recently picked up a copy at a doctor's office and found that nothing
had changed.

Once in a while they included a decent plan for something useful, but
for the most part there was never enough meat for it to be worth the
cost or the time spent reading it.

I noticed the "meat" vanishing from magazines years ago sort of like the
food packaging in the grocery store where the 16oz package is now
12oz in the same size box. I noticed the content of Popular Science and
Popular Mechanics contains more advertising than articles in the last
20 years or so. When I was a kid, I could look forward to hours of
reading with just a couple of magazines not to mention National
Geographic which my parents saved so we had a closet full. Now I do the
majority of my reading online which is good in a way because I can
increase the size of the text so I can see it. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 8:17 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Some of the "articles" in Popular Science remind me of the Sky Mall
magazine. Brand new "high tech" gadgets displayed with fancy
descriptions claiming how great they are.

I'd like to see PS publish a "Remember When?" issue 5 years from now
telling us whether any of the products they highlighted actually
worked out to be as great as they claimed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2012 9:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jan 5, 8:17 pm, wrote:
[...]

I seem to remember them doing something like that about products that
were introduced with a lot of fanfare and claims of being world changing
like The Segway. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

About 1990, they should have done article about hand held cell phones. Those
will never ever catch on. Why would anyone want to carry a telephone with
them? Phones belong on the wall in the kitchen, not in your pocket.

Harumph. Never be popular.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I'd like to see PS publish a "Remember When?" issue 5 years from now
telling us whether any of the products they highlighted actually
worked out to be as great as they claimed.

I seem to remember them doing something like that about products that
were introduced with a lot of fanfare and claims of being world changing
like The Segway. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 1/7/2012 9:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

I'd like to see PS publish a "Remember When?" issue 5 years from now
telling us whether any of the products they highlighted actually
worked out to be as great as they claimed.

I seem to remember them doing something like that about products that
were introduced with a lot of fanfare and claims of being world changing
like The Segway. ^_^

I remember that, too. I'm pretty sure it was PS. Maybe some other
mag?

I think it was on a page that said; "5 years ago we said;" "10 years
ago we said;" and "25 years ago. . . ;"

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2012 6:21 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
The Daring wrote:

On 1/7/2012 9:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

I'd like to see PS publish a "Remember When?" issue 5 years from now
telling us whether any of the products they highlighted actually
worked out to be as great as they claimed.

I seem to remember them doing something like that about products that
were introduced with a lot of fanfare and claims of being world changing
like The Segway. ^_^

I remember that, too. I'm pretty sure it was PS. Maybe some other
mag?

I think it was on a page that said; "5 years ago we said;" "10 years
ago we said;" and "25 years ago. . . ;"

Jim

Something like "A look back" or "Time Machine", heck I'd have to search
for it but it's a kick to read. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring wrote:

On 1/7/2012 9:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

I'd like to see PS publish a "Remember When?" issue 5 years from now
telling us whether any of the products they highlighted actually
worked out to be as great as they claimed.

I seem to remember them doing something like that about products that
were introduced with a lot of fanfare and claims of being world changing
like The Segway. ^_^

I remember that, too. I'm pretty sure it was PS. Maybe some other
mag?

I think it was on a page that said; "5 years ago we said;" "10 years
ago we said;" and "25 years ago. . . ;"

Jim

Something like "A look back" or "Time Machine", heck I'd have to search
for it but it's a kick to read. ^_^

There was a series on 'popular science looks back' - but I didn't
think that one involved *their* predictions necessarily.

While looking for it myself, I ran across this site which serves the
same purpose in a broader sense-
http://www.paleofuture.com/

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring wrote:

[...]

Cool, thanks for the link, I should have a good time reading it but I
still miss my flying car! ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 8, 7:21*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 1/7/2012 9:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

I'd like to see PS publish a "Remember When?" issue 5 years from now
telling us whether any of the products they highlighted actually
worked out to be as great as they claimed.

I seem to remember them doing something like that about products that
were introduced with a lot of fanfare and claims of being world changing
like The Segway. ^_^

I remember that, too. * *I'm pretty sure it was PS. * Maybe some other
mag?

I think it was on a page that said; "5 years ago we said;" *"10 years
ago we said;" *and "25 years ago. . . ;"

Jim

It was either PS or PM... I know I have a couple old ones (50's,
60's) kicking around because someone salvaged them from the recycling
center and they had road tests of interesting cars. Used the more
banged up ones to make wall hangy thingys of the cool advertisements.

Upon reflection I think it's PM...

nate