Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New outdoor faucet question

I have a PVC underground water pipe which feeds a faucet in my backyard. I
use this faucet to connect garden hoses as needed.

This PVC pipe connects directly to the water meter and is always under
pressure. The faucet-riser just sticks out of the ground with 18" of
schedule 80 PVC pipe (threaded, thick-wall, charcoal PVC). I would like to
extend this PVC pipe by adding another 100 feet of pipe and a faucet in the
further reaches of my property.

If I want to adhere to Code, how far must the new faucet be above the ground
(soil)? Do I need a vacuum breaker at the new faucet? Is it actually OK to
use Schedule 80 PVC pipe as the riser for the faucet, or do I need to use a
copper pipe riser? What is the minimum burial depth of the PVC pipe?

Thank you for your help

Walter
--
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 23:09:55 -0800, "walter"
wrote:

I have a PVC underground water pipe which feeds a faucet in my backyard. I
use this faucet to connect garden hoses as needed.

This PVC pipe connects directly to the water meter and is always under
pressure. The faucet-riser just sticks out of the ground with 18" of
schedule 80 PVC pipe (threaded, thick-wall, charcoal PVC). I would like to
extend this PVC pipe by adding another 100 feet of pipe and a faucet in the
further reaches of my property.

If I want to adhere to Code, how far must the new faucet be above the ground
(soil)? Do I need a vacuum breaker at the new faucet? Is it actually OK to
use Schedule 80 PVC pipe as the riser for the faucet, or do I need to use a
copper pipe riser? What is the minimum burial depth of the PVC pipe?

Thank you for your help

Walter

Some of those answers depend on where you live. Up here where it gets
cold, it must be buried 48". Other places can go less. Some places
forbid the use of PVC for any water use. Still others require a metal
shield or at least a tracer wire along the plastic tube. It is
certainly a poor choice for a riser out of the ground.

Since you want to adhere to code, find out what your local code is as
it may differ from the rest of us here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2012 11:09 PM, walter wrote:
I have a PVC underground water pipe which feeds a faucet in my backyard.
I use this faucet to connect garden hoses as needed.

This PVC pipe connects directly to the water meter and is always under
pressure. The faucet-riser just sticks out of the ground with 18" of
schedule 80 PVC pipe (threaded, thick-wall, charcoal PVC). I would like
to extend this PVC pipe by adding another 100 feet of pipe and a faucet
in the further reaches of my property.

If I want to adhere to Code, how far must the new faucet be above the
ground (soil)? Do I need a vacuum breaker at the new faucet? Is it
actually OK to use Schedule 80 PVC pipe as the riser for the faucet, or
do I need to use a copper pipe riser? What is the minimum burial depth
of the PVC pipe?

Thank you for your help

Walter

Just use a frost free yard hydrant.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"walter" wrote in message
do I need to use a copper pipe riser?

Get a freeze proof yard hydrant...

http://www.hydrants.com/products/ind...d-hydrant.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 1:36*pm, "Bill" wrote:
"walter" wrote in message
do I need to use a copper pipe riser?

Get a freeze proof yard hydrant...

http://www.hydrants.com/products/ind...1-total-eclips...

Another factor is if you need to use it in the winter or not.
If not, you can make provisions to blow out the line with
an air compressor. In which case you don't need to
freeze proof the whole thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 2, 1:36 pm, "Bill" wrote:
"walter" wrote in message
do I need to use a copper pipe riser?

Get a freeze proof yard hydrant...

http://www.hydrants.com/products/ind...1-total-eclips...

Another factor is if you need to use it in the winter or not.
If not, you can make provisions to blow out the line with
an air compressor. In which case you don't need to
freeze proof the whole thing.

This PVC pipe connects directly to the water meter and is always under

pressure.

Since the exposed pipe contains water all the time, frost is apparently not a
problem whereever the OP lives.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This PVC pipe connects directly to the water meter and is always under
pressure

Umm, I'm confusing myself, here. Are you certain the lawn irrigation
and the meter are correct. The meter connects to the house and exits
for lawn water. In my desert location. I do cover exposed PVC pipes,
faucets (PEX), etc. We dropped the 20F a few weeks ago.

Where are you?!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2012 10:36 AM, Bill wrote:
"walter" wrote in message
do I need to use a copper pipe riser?

Get a freeze proof yard hydrant...

http://www.hydrants.com/products/ind...d-hydrant.html

OR if you only want to do it ONCE, then get a good one from woodford.
The Y-1

http://www.woodfordhydrants.com/

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2012 11:53 AM, Bob F wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 2, 1:36 pm, wrote:
wrote in message
do I need to use a copper pipe riser?

Get a freeze proof yard hydrant...

http://www.hydrants.com/products/ind...1-total-eclips...

Another factor is if you need to use it in the winter or not.
If not, you can make provisions to blow out the line with
an air compressor. In which case you don't need to
freeze proof the whole thing.

This PVC pipe connects directly to the water meter and is always under

pressure.

Since the exposed pipe contains water all the time, frost is apparently not a
problem whereever the OP lives.

never the less, the proper way to put in a yard hydrant.