Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garbage disposal lubrication

The garbage disposal in my kitchen was here when I bought the house
several years ago. I have no idea how old it is. I have no problem
with its operation -- stuff gets chopped up and disappears down the
drain -- but when I turn it off and it spins down it makes a horrible
noise. It sounds to me kind of like dry bearings. (It is a little
loud during operation but I'm not surprised about that.) I've
searched the web and this group for advise on lubricating a disposal
but found nothing. Any thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 12:17:14 -0800 (PST), Christopher Nelson
wrote:

The garbage disposal in my kitchen was here when I bought the house
several years ago. I have no idea how old it is. I have no problem
with its operation -- stuff gets chopped up and disappears down the
drain -- but when I turn it off and it spins down it makes a horrible
noise. It sounds to me kind of like dry bearings. (It is a little
loud during operation but I'm not surprised about that.) I've
searched the web and this group for advise on lubricating a disposal
but found nothing. Any thoughts?

Wait until it breaks, then replace it with a newer one. Does the
disposal have the rubber baffle in place at the sink drain? That will
deaden some of the sound when it spins down. I pay no attention to
the noise. (married along time)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The garbage disposal in my kitchen was here when I bought the house
several years ago. I have no idea how old it is. I have no problem
with its operation -- stuff gets chopped up and disappears down the
drain -- but when I turn it off and it spins down it makes a horrible
noise. It sounds to me kind of like dry bearings. (It is a little
loud during operation but I'm not surprised about that.) I've
searched the web and this group for advise on lubricating a disposal
but found nothing. Any thoughts?

There is nothing to lubricate. The noise may be the implements on the
disk that help move the food around to chop. Some units re noise on
spin down and I'd not worry about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

The garbage disposal in my kitchen was here when I bought the house
several years ago. I have no idea how old it is. I have no problem
with its operation -- stuff gets chopped up and disappears down the
drain -- but when I turn it off and it spins down it makes a horrible
noise. It sounds to me kind of like dry bearings. (It is a little
loud during operation but I'm not surprised about that.) I've
searched the web and this group for advise on lubricating a disposal
but found nothing. Any thoughts?

There is nothing to lubricate. The noise may be the implements on the
disk that help move the food around to chop. Some units re noise on
spin down and I'd not worry about it.

For decades I've been using this to clean out the choppers and stuff. When
done, it's always quiet as a lamb.

Load it up with ice cubes and I mean load it. Run it till it's all chopped
up to slush, turn on hot water until things flow and all ice is gone. Turn
off water while it's still running. Listen to it purrrr.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green writes:

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Won't remove jewelry or other small metal objects.
Take a good look with a flashlight first.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 22:00:07 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Load it up with ice cubes and I mean load it. Run it till it's all chopped
up to slush, turn on hot water until things flow and all ice is gone. Turn
off water while it's still running. Listen to it purrrr.

....what he said
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message
The garbage disposal in my kitchen was here when I bought the house
several years ago. I have no idea how old it is. I have no problem
with its operation -- stuff gets chopped up and disappears down the
drain -- but when I turn it off and it spins down it makes a horrible
noise. It sounds to me kind of like dry bearings. (It is a little
loud during operation but I'm not surprised about that.) I've
searched the web and this group for advise on lubricating a disposal
but found nothing. Any thoughts?

Water lubricated?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Christopher Nelson wrote:
The garbage disposal in my kitchen was here when I bought the house
several years ago. I have no idea how old it is. I have no problem
with its operation -- stuff gets chopped up and disappears down the
drain -- but when I turn it off and it spins down it makes a horrible
noise. It sounds to me kind of like dry bearings. (It is a little
loud during operation but I'm not surprised about that.) I've
searched the web and this group for advise on lubricating a disposal
but found nothing. Any thoughts?

Hi,
When the unit is worn out, there is nothing to fiddle with.
Our ISE unit lasted almost 15 years which was replaced with new SS unit.
Called ISE customer service, right away warm body answered, when I gave
old model no. They gave direct replacement unit nomenclature. Just drop
old one off, mount the new one. 30mins. job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2011 3:17 PM, Christopher Nelson wrote:
The garbage disposal in my kitchen was here when I bought the house
several years ago. I have no idea how old it is. I have no problem
with its operation -- stuff gets chopped up and disappears down the
drain -- but when I turn it off and it spins down it makes a horrible
noise. It sounds to me kind of like dry bearings. (It is a little
loud during operation but I'm not surprised about that.) I've
searched the web and this group for advise on lubricating a disposal
but found nothing. Any thoughts?

Likely at the end of service. Our lightly used 10 year old disposal
started making a similar noise and last week it became noticeably
quieter but no longer processed waste. I fished out one blade and the
pin. I think the pin was peened and that broke off releasing the blade.

It is an insinkerator which is the brand every store seems to sell. If
you search you will see they get poor ratings and the usual failure is
the blade attach failing or the bottom seal leaking.

I was just looking for a replacement. I am not buying another
insinkerator. Waste King seems to make a good product.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you leaving the water running until the disposal completely stops? If not, you should.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote in :

Red Green writes:

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Yea, that too. I found a scrap metal collection in one I pulled out. Just
replaced it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 09:21:54 -0500, George
wrote:

[...]

I cook chicken and rice for my disposal unit. I also finish up each
feeding of chicken and rice with a big cup of kibbles. The kibbles so
she gets the doggie vits she might need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George writes:

[...]

Insinkerator has a line of units, some better than others.

My contractor installed model was never quiet and rusted out
completely.

I bought a higher end Insinkerator that's lasted twice as long
so far and is whisper quiet.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Dan Espen wrote in :

Red Green writes:

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I found a dime rattling around in ours a while back. I was 10 cents richer!

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, I figured that water is a bit slippery compared with metal on bare metal. I've heard the units screech more when people forget to run the water or turn the water off while the unit's still running.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine seized up last night. I sprayed WD-40 down inside, but could not get it to turn. The motor was humming like it wanted to work. I went to bed with the WD-40 seeping into all the moving parts, and this morning it started up fine. I then squirted some marina axle grease down in there and let it run w/o water but with the grease, and the unit is now running like new. Probably don't want to overdo the grease as that could lead to clogs but once a year or two is probably okay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 11:44:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sounds like the jam cleared. Nothing to lubricate. By self reversing,
most jams clear with a couple of on/off cycles.

If one doesn't have the hex key for clearing the jam, a short piece of
broom will work to move the blade arms.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Mine seized up last night. I sprayed WD-40 down inside, but could not get it
to turn. The motor was humming like it wanted to work. I went to bed with
the WD-40 seeping into all the moving parts, and this morning it started up
fine. I then squirted some marina axle grease down in there and let it run
w/o water but with the grease, and the unit is now running like new.
Probably don't want to overdo the grease as that could lead to clogs but
once a year or two is probably okay.

I've had problems twice that went beyond mere jamming. There was something
stuck in there! First it was dirt from a potted plant. Then it was a
little piece of plastic from a nail brush. I blame a cat both times for
these things happening.

I was unable to clear the problems myself and had to call a plumber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie Bove" writes:

I've had problems twice that went beyond mere jamming. There was
something stuck in there! First it was dirt from a potted plant.
Then it was a little piece of plastic from a nail brush. I blame a cat
both times for these things happening.

I was unable to clear the problems myself and had to call a plumber.

I use a small flashlight to see the object.
A screw driver or other pointy object can work the object lose.

I can even get my hand in there to remove the object.

As for lubrication, totally wrong.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" writes:

I've had problems twice that went beyond mere jamming. There was
something stuck in there! First it was dirt from a potted plant.
Then it was a little piece of plastic from a nail brush. I blame a cat
both times for these things happening.

I was unable to clear the problems myself and had to call a plumber.

I use a small flashlight to see the object.
A screw driver or other pointy object can work the object lose.

Both times, it took the plumber very long to see what the problem was.

I can even get my hand in there to remove the object.

I can too but I couldn't feel the object. I did get parts of the nail brush
out but... It was hard clear plastic. And the dirt was very small pieces.

As for lubrication, totally wrong.

Yep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
stuff snipped

As for lubrication, [wd-40] totally wrong.

Yep.

But it does excel in certain situations. I was about to toss my cross-cut
shredder because it continually jammed but WD-40 totally revived it although
it took two good and thorough soakings. Fortunately the new WD-40 cans come
with a built-in dual-nozzle for broad and pin-point applications.

Now I make sure I run some sheets of scrap paper with motor oil drizzled on
it every month or so. The problem comes from adhesives in the incoming mail
that build up on the cutting blades. Probably a similar situation occurs
with sticky stuff building up on garbage disposal cutter blades.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" writes:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
stuff snipped

As for lubrication, [wd-40] totally wrong.

Yep.

But it does excel in certain situations. I was about to toss my cross-cut
shredder because it continually jammed but WD-40 totally revived it although
it took two good and thorough soakings. Fortunately the new WD-40 cans come
with a built-in dual-nozzle for broad and pin-point applications.

Now I make sure I run some sheets of scrap paper with motor oil drizzled on
it every month or so. The problem comes from adhesives in the incoming mail
that build up on the cutting blades. Probably a similar situation occurs
with sticky stuff building up on garbage disposal cutter blades.

Disagree about sticky stuff on the cutter blades.
Take a look in yours. I don't think you're going to see anything
in there but shiny stainless steel.

In my case the dishwasher output goes through the disposal.
Of course that cleans it in the process.

Then those blades move pretty fast and chop up anything you put in
there. A little glue on those blades would be knocked right off
as they encounter whatever you put in there.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
stuff snipped

As for lubrication, [wd-40] totally wrong.

Yep.

But it does excel in certain situations. I was about to toss my cross-cut
shredder because it continually jammed but WD-40 totally revived it although
it took two good and thorough soakings. Fortunately the new WD-40 cans come
with a built-in dual-nozzle for broad and pin-point applications.

Now I make sure I run some sheets of scrap paper with motor oil drizzled on
it every month or so. The problem comes from adhesives in the incoming mail
that build up on the cutting blades. Probably a similar situation occurs
with sticky stuff building up on garbage disposal cutter blades.

--
Bobby G.

Hi,
So you are not lubricating but cleaning with WD-40.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message
"Robert Green" writes:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Don't own a GD in this house but have owned/repaired a few. It all depends
what you macerate in the unit. IOW, YMMV. Any time you have moving parts
in a "slop stream" eventually trouble will happen. Some people are very
careful about what they run through a GD and others, not so much.

In my case the dishwasher output goes through the disposal.
Of course that cleans it in the process.

That certainly would delay the formation of RPM reducing gunk buildups.

Then those blades move pretty fast and chop up anything you put in
there. A little glue on those blades would be knocked right off
as they encounter whatever you put in there.

I'm not conceding that point, just based on some of the extraordinarily
gunked up units I've seen. More importantly I'd never underestimate the
power of gunk. It gets pretty grotty inside some GD's and even some kitchen
drains that I've seen. Gunk accretes. If it's allowed to dry out in layers,
over long periods of time, I am confident it could eventually cause
problems.

I personally can't see adding more solid matter to the sewage treatment
plants so I just use a strainer, and either compost or trash the celery and
onion scraps, etc.

WD-40 sure saved my shredder. With all those cutters you'd think it would
be self-cleaning and resistant to gunk - but it's not.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I thought that was clear when I described how I fed oil-soaked sheets
of paper through the shredder *after* I sprayed them with WD-40 to loosen
all the adhesive gunk. I suspect that without that subsequent step, the
blades would gum up again in very short order.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Al is offline

replying to Julie Bove, Al wrote:
Canola oil 1 liter down the drain it will lubricate it

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...on-677435-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cold water running is to prevent the unit from overheating while flushing the waste. Never run unit with hot water. To freshen my unit; while unit is empty I put a very long squirt of Dawn dish soap directly on blades. I plug the sink, fill with hot tap water and quart of vinegar. When full I use a wooden spoon to remove plug. Do not turn unit on with hot water. The purpose of the hot sink full of water released all at once is to fill that disposal compartment completely to remove food particles stuck at the top, rather than just the bottom blades.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Mon, 4 May 2020 20:35:03 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

A real man would drink the vinegar and **** in the sink.

What would a gossiping washerwoman like you know a real man?

Garbage disposal JIMMIE Home Repair 1 December 28th 09 10:33 PM
Garbage disposal professorpaul Home Repair 7 October 21st 07 04:15 PM
garbage disposal doesn't MrAoD Home Repair 7 October 18th 04 11:37 AM
Garbage disposal KRusso6984 Home Repair 7 February 14th 04 07:16 PM