Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Server, Shmerver

I have had a LOT of posts lately saying that message is no longer available
on server. What's up with that?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/30/2011 5:10 PM, Steve B wrote:
I have had a LOT of posts lately saying that message is no longer available
on server. What's up with that?

The server admin may have changed retention policy or they may have had
a media failure--generally newsgroups other than the google archive
aren't particularly worrying about reliability locally since there are
so many alternate servers and usenet propogates copies everywhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I have had a LOT of posts lately saying that message is no longer
available on server. What's up with that?

According to your server's homepage (www.usenetserver.com), they maintain
years and years of messages. Since they are so professional, the trouble
must be on your end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 7:19*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I have had a LOT of posts lately saying that message is no longer
available on server. *What's up with that?

According to your server's homepage (www.usenetserver.com), they maintain
years and years of messages. Since they are so professional, the trouble
must be on your end.

I have seen the same problem, not severe, but definitely more than the
normal level.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I have had a LOT of posts lately saying that message is no longer

available
on server. What's up with that?

Steve

Lots of admin guys do their yearly maintenance around this time of year and
those files may be locked for backup. I see all sorts of similar quirks and
bugs, and they really get ugly right at New Year's Eve.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd be a lot more comfortable, if you men would stop looking at my end.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Dec 30, 7:19 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I have had a LOT of posts lately saying that message is no longer
available on server. What's up with that?

According to your server's homepage (
www.usenetserver.com), they maintain
years and years of messages. Since they are so professional, the trouble
must be on your end.

I have seen the same problem, not severe, but definitely more than the
normal level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 11:10*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I have had a LOT of posts lately saying that message is no longer available
on server. *What's up with that?

Steve

What is a "shmerver"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Steve B wrote:
I have had a LOT of posts lately saying that message is no longer
available on server. What's up with that?

According to your server's homepage (www.usenetserver.com), they maintain
years and years of messages. Since they are so professional, the trouble
must be on your end.

Recently adjusted the security settings. Set them back. It was just that
after I won the lottery, I was getting all sorts of weird stuff.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 10:14:00 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
om...
Steve B wrote:
I have had a LOT of posts lately saying that message is no longer
available on server. What's up with that?

According to your server's homepage (www.usenetserver.com), they maintain
years and years of messages. Since they are so professional, the trouble
must be on your end.

Recently adjusted the security settings. Set them back. It was just that
after I won the lottery, I was getting all sorts of weird stuff.

Steve

I occasionally get the same message from eternal-september server. Not
much though and very rare.

I have been seeing lag time trying browse web pages in the past few
days. The page just tries to connect, but when I hit refresh the page
pops up. No changes in any software.

I may reboot the router
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 01:11:25 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

What is a "shmerver"?

a made up word...

fancy, smancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry, Schmarry. Pfft!

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Schmormons

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 01:11:25 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

What is a "shmerver"?

a made up word...

fancy, smancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 01:11:25 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

What is a "shmerver"?

a made up word...

fancy, smancy

Harry, does the polysyllabic aspect of it confuse you?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is a "shmerver"?

a made up word...

fancy, smancy

Harry, does the polysyllabic aspect of it confuse you?

Steve

The purpose of it confuses me.
Seems a bit juvenile.