Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Five dead in Xmas fire in CT

Did you all here the story about the house in CT
where 3 children and two grandparents died during
Xmas? It was a large $2mil house owned by an
advertising exec and it was undergoing renovation.

Source of the fire is believed to be hot ashes from
a fireplace that were placed in a bag and taken to
either the mud room or the adjacent outsite trash
storage area. That was done before they went to
bed around 3AM. Fire started on the back side of the
house.

Investigators believe the central wired smoke alarm
system was not working. They aren't sure if there
were any battery powered ones.

Left me wondering. Why would anyone take ashes
out of a fireplace in the middle of the night when the
fire has just gone out? I've always just left them
there until at least a day or two later. Seems easy
and natural to do it that way, no?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Did you all here the story about the house in CT
where 3 children and two grandparents died during
Xmas? It was a large $2mil house owned by an
advertising exec and it was undergoing renovation.

Source of the fire is believed to be hot ashes from
a fireplace that were placed in a bag and taken to
either the mud room or the adjacent outsite trash
storage area. That was done before they went to
bed around 3AM. Fire started on the back side of the
house.

Investigators believe the central wired smoke alarm
system was not working. They aren't sure if there
were any battery powered ones.

Left me wondering. Why would anyone take ashes
out of a fireplace in the middle of the night when the
fire has just gone out? I've always just left them
there until at least a day or two later. Seems easy
and natural to do it that way, no?

Probably wanted to close the chimney flue to avoid heat loss
But putting hot ashes in a paper bag is not the smartest way to go. Usually
a metal bucket would be SOP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I knew some friend with a wood burning stove. Near the stove was a section
about 8 inches by a foot, of melted carpet. I asked about that, and the teen
daughter did a thorough job of cleaning out the stove (Supposed to leave an
inch or two of ash to hold the heat). Swept it all in to a paper bag, and
left it there.

The $2 mil home thing is a clue, they aren't country folks, for sure. Damn
shame about the deaths. It surely wasn't the kids fault, by any means. And
with all the moolah, they aparently didn't have common sense, nor a battery
smoke detector.

Steve Spence, owner of
=====================
Steve Spence
http://www.green-trust.org
http://www.essnmag.com
=====================
had similar catastrophe. His kids were living in the family farm, as he was
out of state for a job. One of the kids took the fireplace ashes out, but
not out "enough". burned the house down.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
Did you all here the story about the house in CT
where 3 children and two grandparents died during
Xmas? It was a large $2mil house owned by an
advertising exec and it was undergoing renovation.

Source of the fire is believed to be hot ashes from
a fireplace that were placed in a bag and taken to
either the mud room or the adjacent outsite trash
storage area. That was done before they went to
bed around 3AM. Fire started on the back side of the
house.

Investigators believe the central wired smoke alarm
system was not working. They aren't sure if there
were any battery powered ones.

Left me wondering. Why would anyone take ashes
out of a fireplace in the middle of the night when the
fire has just gone out? I've always just left them
there until at least a day or two later. Seems easy
and natural to do it that way, no?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 09:17:43 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Did you all here the story about the house in CT
where 3 children and two grandparents died during
Xmas? It was a large $2mil house owned by an
advertising exec and it was undergoing renovation.

Source of the fire is believed to be hot ashes from
a fireplace that were placed in a bag and taken to
either the mud room or the adjacent outsite trash
storage area. That was done before they went to
bed around 3AM. Fire started on the back side of the
house.

Investigators believe the central wired smoke alarm
system was not working. They aren't sure if there
were any battery powered ones.

Left me wondering. Why would anyone take ashes
out of a fireplace in the middle of the night when the
fire has just gone out? I've always just left them
there until at least a day or two later. Seems easy
and natural to do it that way, no?

While I'm still shaking my head at the apparent [if the news reports
are correct] ignorance of anyone who would put ashes in a bag-- and
then put the bag in a trash can-- I can see cleaning the fireplace out
when the evening is done, and readying a fire to be enjoyed Christmas
morning.

The fire may have 'gone out' in the evening and they had been wrapping
and setting up for Christmas morning into the wee small hours.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.wfsb.com/story/16390922/f...-stamford-fire

Fire place ashes, taken out , but not out "enough" lights a fire in a big
home. No smoke detectors, or fire alarm. Dead include two grand parents,
girl 10, twin girls, 7. Mother managed to get out, but barely.

Ashes out in the middle of the night? Musta been city folks.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
Did you all here the story about the house in CT
where 3 children and two grandparents died during
Xmas? It was a large $2mil house owned by an
advertising exec and it was undergoing renovation.

Source of the fire is believed to be hot ashes from
a fireplace that were placed in a bag and taken to
either the mud room or the adjacent outsite trash
storage area. That was done before they went to
bed around 3AM. Fire started on the back side of the
house.

Investigators believe the central wired smoke alarm
system was not working. They aren't sure if there
were any battery powered ones.

Left me wondering. Why would anyone take ashes
out of a fireplace in the middle of the night when the
fire has just gone out? I've always just left them
there until at least a day or two later. Seems easy
and natural to do it that way, no?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/11 12:17 PM, wrote:
Did you all here the story about the house in CT
where 3 children and two grandparents died during
Xmas? It was a large $2mil house owned by an
advertising exec and it was undergoing renovation.

Source of the fire is believed to be hot ashes from
a fireplace that were placed in a bag and taken to
either the mud room or the adjacent outsite trash
storage area. That was done before they went to
bed around 3AM. Fire started on the back side of the
house.

Investigators believe the central wired smoke alarm
system was not working. They aren't sure if there
were any battery powered ones.

Left me wondering. Why would anyone take ashes
out of a fireplace in the middle of the night when the
fire has just gone out? I've always just left them
there until at least a day or two later. Seems easy
and natural to do it that way, no?

A little more to the story....
The surviving mother of the children had just bought the house last
year. The wired alarm was just being installed as part of the
renovation. The grandfather had just played Santa Claus at a nearby
Macy's. Ironically he was a retired safety executive for a liquor
distillery.

My guess is they had no experience with fireplaces. Years ago when I
lived in a newer "starter" home subdivision, every fall/early winter
there would be several garage fires as a new owner would put ashes in
a cardboard box in the garage.

Just like parenting, most people learn about home ownership at the
school of hard knocks. Very sad for this women who lost her children
and parents all in one tragedy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 12:17*pm, "
wrote:
Did you all here the story about the house in CT
where 3 children and two grandparents died during
Xmas? * It was a large $2mil house owned by an
advertising exec and it was undergoing renovation.

Source of the fire is believed to be hot ashes from
a fireplace that were placed in a bag and taken to
either the mud room or the adjacent outsite trash
storage area. *That was done before they went to
bed around 3AM. * Fire started on the back side of the
house.

Investigators believe the central wired smoke alarm
system was not working. *They aren't sure if there
were any battery powered ones.

Left me wondering. *Why would anyone take ashes
out of a fireplace in the middle of the night when the
fire has just gone out? *I've always just left them
there until at least a day or two later. *Seems easy
and natural to do it that way, no?

Just like Stormin in his other thread you have assumed
facts not in evidence at this point in time:

"It was unclear whether working smoke detectors had been installed
in the house, which was under renovation, officials said."

Whether or not the system was working is not likely to
ever be determined as the severity of the damage done to the
home would have cooked off all the parts and pieces of
smoke detectors and the home was so badly gutted the
city tore it down...

None of the articles referenced in this thread nor Stormin's
other thread on the same topic support any conclusion
about the smoke detectors being faulty...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

When my parents got a house with a fire place, they were very careful with
the hot ashes. I'm with you, it sounds like the family had no experience
with fireplaces.

We who are still living. We can do our part by sharing our education, and by
purchasing and installing smoke detectors for those we love. I've installed
smoke detectors, and good quality batteries, for those I know.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Reed" wrote in message

My guess is they had no experience with fireplaces. Years ago when I
lived in a newer "starter" home subdivision, every fall/early winter
there would be several garage fires as a new owner would put ashes in
a cardboard box in the garage.

Just like parenting, most people learn about home ownership at the
school of hard knocks. Very sad for this women who lost her children
and parents all in one tragedy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Evan wrote in news:b58918a7-c91b-4a77-
:

On Dec 28, 12:17*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

It was my understanding that the hardwiring was not yet completed.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sjouke Burry wrote:

Stupidity is quite fairly distributed accross the population.
Checking things like fireplaces, ashes or smoke alarms
is boring, no?

Stupidity, lack of common sense and ignorance of the PSAs that are on
every TV station every fall about fireplace and wood stove safety. I
feel sorry only for the children, not for the adults who should have
known better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2011 2:45 PM, Han wrote:
The Daring wrote in news:jdfmg8$nn7$1
@dont-email.me:

On 12/28/2011 11:17 AM, wrote:
Did you all here the story about the house in CT
where 3 children and two grandparents died during
Xmas? It was a large $2mil house owned by an
advertising exec and it was undergoing renovation.

Source of the fire is believed to be hot ashes from
a fireplace that were placed in a bag and taken to
either the mud room or the adjacent outsite trash
storage area. That was done before they went to
bed around 3AM. Fire started on the back side of the
house.

Investigators believe the central wired smoke alarm
system was not working. They aren't sure if there
were any battery powered ones.

Left me wondering. Why would anyone take ashes
out of a fireplace in the middle of the night when the
fire has just gone out? I've always just left them
there until at least a day or two later. Seems easy
and natural to do it that way, no?

Darwinism? o_O

TDD

Ouch.
THAT is a bit of a hard lesson. I wonder how the town is going to handle
the fact that there might not have been a certificate of occupancy during
the renovations.

I'm not trying to be mean or too insensitive but people die when someone
does something dangerous and stupid. I tend to get angry
when I see that sort of thing happen especially when children are
hurt or killed. :-(

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 1:24*pm, Evan wrote:
On Dec 28, 12:17*pm, "
wrote:

[...]

Oh really. What exactly in the above sentence is inconsistent with
what I posted? I stated:

"Investigators believe the central wired smoke alarm
system was not working. They aren't sure if there
were any battery powered ones. "

And though you may not be aware, there is more than
one source for news. Here's the report from the NY Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/t...l4lWlny3LTT O

The mistakes that took 5 lives
Yule log’s embers left undoused, no working smoke detectors in Conn.
inferno

"City official Ernie Orgera said a modern “hardwired” smoke detection
system was being installed as part of ongoing renovations. But it
hadn’t gone online in the five-bedroom home, which was built in 1895.
And there was no evidence that battery-operated detectors had been in
use."

Whether or not the system was working is not likely to
ever be determined as the severity of the damage done to the
home would have cooked off all the parts and pieces of
smoke detectors and the home was so badly gutted the
city tore it down...

None of the articles referenced in this thread nor Stormin's
other thread on the same topic support any conclusion
about the smoke detectors being faulty...

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

There are other sources, including the press conference with the fire
marshal and fire chief, but you didn't see that
either, did you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 3:45*pm, Han wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in news:jdfmg8$nn7$1
@dont-email.me:

On 12/28/2011 11:17 AM, wrote:
[...]

email address is invalid- Hide quoted text -

I saw that covered in a press conference. It was
legal to live in any parts of the house that were not
under renovation. And at the time that press
conference was being conducted they said they
were unclear as to where exactly everyone was
sleeping.

Sounds standard to me. If you take out a permit
to renovate a kitchen and a couple of other areas
it doesn't mean you have to move out of the house.
What was more interesting was officials saying that
in CT no certificate of occupancy is required when
purchasing a home. The home was bought about
a year ago I think. Had they required a CO, we'd
at least know if the smoke detectors were up to code
at that point.

Curiously enough I saw one report where the
boyfriend who disposed of the ashes is also the
president of the company doing renovations. If
that's true and he was dumb enough to do the
ash thing, God knows he could have also been
dumb enough to disable the smoke detectors
during renovation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Left me wondering. Why would anyone take ashes
out of a fireplace in the middle of the night when the
fire has just gone out? I've always just left them
there until at least a day or two later. Seems easy
and natural to do it that way, no?

My ashes go into a metal container with a lid and it goes outside.
Makes no sense what they did unless they figured they could close the
damper. Sad tragedy over a dumb act.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

On 12/28/2011 11:17 AM, wrote:
[...]

The Darwin award had come up in my mind as well, but this was really,
really stupid, and neither do I wish to be harsh or insensitive.

Not knowing how certificates of occupancy are exactly supposed to work,
I'm not sure what to say here. If the contractor had indeed not yet
wired the smoke detectors, I'd hoped that people would be doubly careful
with fires and ashes.

Our former house on Long Island was an older home, we remodeled with all
the permits in the middle 80's but there was no CO issued, because the
home was grandfathered or something. Then when selling it, it was
inspected and a CO issued after I fixed the deck railings. They needed
to have vertical supports/balusters, and we had it made with just a few
4x4 supports for the railing and wire mesh for the vines etc. I thought
that was just fine, but I had to screw in 1x1 balusters 4" OC. A pain,
but simple enough.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
:

On 12/28/2011 11:17 AM, wrote:
[...]

In our 2 homes we also did renovations while living there. Not pleasant,
but it may have helped speed up the construction. The CO question I
addressed a minute or so ago. But I didn't like fireplaces anyway. And
I certainly wouldn't have disposed of ashes that way. Bucket of water in
a metal container.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2011 9:46 PM, Han wrote:
The Daring wrote in
:

On 12/28/2011 11:17 AM, wrote:
[...]

Did that have something to do with small children sticking their heads
through the balusters in the guard rails? o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 2:24*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:35:43 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"

wrote:

Probably wanted to close the chimney flue to avoid heat loss
But putting hot ashes in a paper bag is not the smartest way to go. Usually
a metal bucket would be SOP.

People who have fireplaces and wood burning stoves should be required
to take a safety course before using them. *Same as people who buy
guns. *One who places hot ashes in a paper bag, plastic pail, or near
a house has to either be a complete idiot, or simply uneducated in
handling fire. A metal pail would have eliminated this, and place the
ashes out in the yard away from flammables.
We're forced by officials to have smoke detectors, which are a good
idea, but learning to make a fire should come first, BEFORE the smoke
detector is needed.

I find it hard to imagine how any ADULT could be stupid enough to put
hot ashes in a paper bag.

And for the record, I've emptied ashes from wood stoves three days
later and still found hot sparks causing my metal pail to leave the
house quite warm.

People who have fireplaces and wood burning stoves should be required

to take a safety course before using them.

tongue in cheek or serious?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

On 12/28/2011 9:46 PM, Han wrote:
The Daring wrote in
:

[...]

Just a stupid rule. The wire mesh had ~3x3" openings, but wasn't judged
sturdy enough. It HAD TO BE BALUSTERS, so I cut a bunch of 1x1 or 2x2 (I
forget) and screwed them in place. I did want to sell that house, since
having 2 houses was hard on the pocketbook.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Left me wondering. Why would anyone take ashes
out of a fireplace in the middle of the night when the
fire has just gone out? I've always just left them
there until at least a day or two later. Seems easy
and natural to do it that way, no?

My ashes go into a metal container with a lid and it goes outside.
Makes no sense what they did unless they figured they could close the
damper. Sad tragedy over a dumb act.

Mine stay there that night then go in a plastic container with about 3
gallons of water (out on the porch). A separate container like it
handles ash trays (sadly, we have not succeded yet in quitting).