Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default New tub install question

I am re-doing a bathroom and I am about to install a new steel tub (someone
else is doing the actual work, but it is easier to just write "I"). The
walls are ripped out down to the studs, and I will be using 1/2-inch cement
backer board where the ceramic tile tub surround will be going.

My question is about where the tub goes in relation to the cement backer
board and the wall studs. Around the 3 sides of the tub where the ceramic
tile tub surround will go, there is a 1-inch "tile flange" on the tub (
http://bootz.com/Downloads/Alohawholesale.pdf ).

Option 1): If I mount the tub up directly up against the studs, and then
apply 1/2-inch cement backer board from the top of the tile flange up, then
the cement backer board will be sticking out (from the wall) about 3/8-inch
past the approx. 1/8-inch thick tile flange. Then, if I bring the ceramic
tile down past the bottom edge of the backer board to close to the
horizontal top of the actual tub, there will be a gap of about 3/8-inch
behind the tile to the tile flange.

Is that how the install is typically done?

Option 2): Or, I could apply the 1/2-inch cement backer board to the studs
first, and have the backer board come down behind the 1-inch tile flange,
and then mount the tub up against the cement backer board instead of
directly on the studs. But, if I do that, when I go to do the ceramic tile,
the tile that goes over the 1-inch tile flange on the tub will be sticking
out due to the approx. 1/8-inch thick tile flange.

So, that doesn't seem like it would work.

Option 3): Pad out the studs about 3/8-inch; mount the tub against the
padded out studs; then bring the cement backer board down to the top of the
tile flange on the tub. That will leave the cement backer board about even
(flush) with the 1-inch tub tile flange. Then tile down past the top of the
tile flange to close to the horizontal top of the tub (which will leave no
space behind the tile where it overhangs the tile flange); and then just
caulk the gap between the bottom of the ceramic tile and the tub.

Can anyone tell me the "correct" way to do this? -- assuming that there is
one correct way. Is it Option 1, Option 2, or Option 3; or is there some
other way that is the correct way to do this?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

P.S. (by the OP):

Or, Option 4?): Mount the tub directly up against the studs; then bring the
cement backer board down over the 1-inch tile flange on the tub (leaving a
small gap above the top of the tub); and then tile over the cement backer
board (leaving the same gap at the bottom of the backer board); then caulk
where the gap is.

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message

[...]

Sure hope you've insulated to the outside wall.
I prefer to use styrofoam, in about three thicknesses so that it
comes
perfectly even with the edge of the studs. That way, cuts don't have
be perfect, with the overlaps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message

[...]

be perfect, with the overlaps.- Hide quoted text -

spray foam is far better choice
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

"Ron" wrote in message

[...]

++++++++++

Thanks, but in this bathroom the tub is not in contact with any exterior
walls -- just interior walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dss dss is offline

Ron,

Did the same project two years ago. I chose option 4 and furred the
studs out so the backer board overlapped the tub flange. Since all
three were interior walls I put some heavy duty poly up before
attaching the backer board and ran it into the tub. Before the hanging
the poly I figured out where I might want to put grab bars in the
future and put in blocking. Took lots of pictures and measured the
blocking for future reference. Trimmed the poly and caulked. So far so
good.

Here's a good website for this kind of project. Even the professionals
disagree on how to do it right.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php

Good luck.

dss

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

dss wrote:
Ron,

Did the same project two years ago. I chose option 4 and furred the
studs out so the backer board overlapped the tub flange. Since all
three were interior walls I put some heavy duty poly up before
attaching the backer board and ran it into the tub. Before the hanging
the poly I figured out where I might want to put grab bars in the
future and put in blocking. Took lots of pictures and measured the
blocking for future reference. Trimmed the poly and caulked. So far so
good.

Here's a good website for this kind of project. Even the professionals
disagree on how to do it right.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php

Good luck.

dss

Thanks, and thanks for the reminder about putting up blocking for any future
grab bars. I always put in blocking for the shower rod (including in the
ceiling because I am doing sort-of a corner tub setup with only a partial
wall on one end, and need to do a hanger for the shower rod from the
ceiling), but I didn't think of the grab bar idea.

I checked out the link you provided and there were some posts there on the
same topic. I decided to go ahead and also post my question there under the
name "NJ-user".