Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ac install question

We're having ac installed in a couple of days. I mentioned this to the
plumber while he was hear checking the pump which pumps our
kitchen/utility room drain water up through the attic then down to where
it exits the house because of the pipe under the slab having rotted out
just before we bought the house.

Anyway, all the ac guys who came to give me estimates talked about
draining something from the ac unit into either the laundry tub in the
utility room, which then drains into aforementioned pump, or tapping
directly into the pump. (Furnace/pump/laundy tub all within arm's reach
of each other in utility room.)The plumber would prefer they drain it
into the laundry tub, but said that they're not supposed to drain it
into the sewer at all, and that they should drill a hole into the slab
and put the hose into that.

What should I be expecting the ac installer to do in this situation?
Thoughts and advice appreciated. Rochester NY area, if that matters.
Thanks in advance.

Karen
Posted to alt.home.repair

dkhedmo wrote:

We're having ac installed in a couple of days. I mentioned this to the
plumber while he was hear checking the pump which pumps our
kitchen/utility room drain water up through the attic then down to where
it exits the house because of the pipe under the slab having rotted out
just before we bought the house.

Anyway, all the ac guys who came to give me estimates talked about
draining something from the ac unit into either the laundry tub in the
utility room, which then drains into aforementioned pump, or tapping
directly into the pump. (Furnace/pump/laundy tub all within arm's reach
of each other in utility room.)The plumber would prefer they drain it
into the laundry tub, but said that they're not supposed to drain it
into the sewer at all, and that they should drill a hole into the slab
and put the hose into that.

I'm always willing to learn something new, and I can't think of a reason
why your plumber says they're not supposed to drain it into a sewer.

If you drain it into the laundry tub, where's it going to end up, on Mars?

Whoops, maybe I just thought of a reason. Perhaps they worry that if it
has its own trap that trap could dry out over the winter season and let
sewer gas come out into the house?

Could you ask your plumber for an explanation for his remarks?

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

dkhedmo wrote:

[...]

It likely falls under the same rules as for sump pumps and gutters and
is based on the fact that the output from them is generally plain
relatively clean water that does not require treatment. They don't want
this clean water adding unnecessary volume to the waste stream headed
for the treatment plant. The discharge should just be directed outside
somewhere, like where it will water some plants.
Posted to alt.home.repair

you could use a condensate pump and run the little hose
outside. running it into the sink would work fine also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:59:07 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

dkhedmo wrote:

We're having ac installed in a couple of days. I mentioned this to the
plumber while he was hear checking the pump which pumps our
kitchen/utility room drain water up through the attic then down to where
it exits the house because of the pipe under the slab having rotted out
just before we bought the house.

Anyway, all the ac guys who came to give me estimates talked about
draining something from the ac unit into either the laundry tub in the

condensate, water that condenses from the air when the air is cooled.
It's pretty pure water, like rain, with no dirty atmosphere to fall
through.

utility room, which then drains into aforementioned pump, or tapping
directly into the pump. (Furnace/pump/laundy tub all within arm's reach
of each other in utility room.)The plumber would prefer they drain it
into the laundry tub, but said that they're not supposed to drain it
into the sewer at all, and that they should drill a hole into the slab
and put the hose into that.

I know nothing, but is the drain in the slab supposed to fit tightly
into the hole? If they drill a hole, water can go in both directions,
but if it is in tightly, I guess that is not a problem.

I guess if he ran it fat a slight slope from the evaporator tray to
the wall, it would be below ground level at that point -- or would it
be? -- so that won't work.

Mine goes into my sump pump sump and the sumnp pump pumps it up to the
ceiling, higher than the ground outside, and then into a big plactic
pipe outside and under the lawn to the edge of a hill.

I'm always willing to learn something new, and I can't think of a reason
why your plumber says they're not supposed to drain it into a sewer.

If you drain it into the laundry tub, where's it going to end up, on Mars?

Whoops, maybe I just thought of a reason. Perhaps they worry that if it
has its own trap that trap could dry out over the winter season and let
sewer gas come out into the house?

If it drains into the tub, there is only one trap.

Could you ask your plumber for an explanation for his remarks?

Of course, but will he answer?

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd suggest you tell the AC guys what the plumber said, and ask
them to do it that way. The laundry tub is usually higher than
the sump crock, and it's usually easier to run the drain to a
sump crock, down hill all the way.

I'm also in the Rochester NY area. Please let us know who put in
the AC, and if you were pleased with them.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

news : We're having ac installed in a couple of days. I mentioned this
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd suggest you tell the AC guys what the plumber said, and ask
them to do it that way. The laundry tub is usually higher than
the sump crock, and it's usually easier to run the drain to a
sump crock, down hill all the way.

I'm also in the Rochester NY area. Please let us know who put in
the AC, and if you were pleased with them.

I decided to go with Lang, who are very local to me here in Webster. Of
the four quotes I got, they were the lowest, but what really swayed my
decision was that I live in a 50's ranch-on-a-slab that is very common
in this part of town and they are very familiar with working on these
particular houses. The guy gave me a few days extension on the quote
deadline even though carrier prices went up, and scheduling was very
easy. I dropped off the signed contract just to check out their
storefront, and they appeared very legit and well-established. I'll let
you know how it goes.

My second choice would have been Hawn, which was second highest of the
four estimates. I rejected a company I won't name because of a personal
reason and rejected Isaac, which came in with the highest estimate, but
I didn't go with them because the guy was really unnerved by the
parameters of the tight space where the furnace is located, and made me
feel like the job was outrageous to even consider and that fabricating a
cover for the outside of the house where the tubing will go up the wall
from the unit to enter the attic was going to be an expensive,
customized job. My husband thought that his constant concern aboutt he
difficulty of the job was perhaps his salesman tactic to make it sound
like it was actually worth his price, but whatever the deal was, he did
not give me confidence that they could handle the job.

Thanks for advice. My plumber is a little high maintenance.

Karen