Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outdoor motion detectors

I think I've got a problem with the motion detector that controls the
lights on the garage. It has always been 'odd'- but now it just
seems to *not* detect anything some days-- and on others seems to be
tripping when nothing is there. [though I can't rule out critters
tripping it]

It has been hanging there for 5-6 years & since day 1 it will let a
car drive right up to the garage [straight at it] and not trip until
the driver gets out of the car. It is supposedly a 180degree
sensor, but 120 would be generous, and the edges seem to wave back and
forth.

The way I have this set up, if it matters, is the sensor is mounted
above the door and operates carriage lights on either side of the
door.

The lights are switched-- but not 3-way.

So is there a *really* good detector that has a wide field of view,
and will detect objects coming straight at it up to about 100 feet
away? [minimum of 50']

Thanks
Jim