Posted to alt.home.repair

Default where to get a drywall 'nail locator'?

He said he's specifically looking for drywall nails. I've hung lots
of pics,
shelves, brackets, made openings, etc and never went looking for
nails.
I've looked for studs and I've had zero problems as a result.

If you have never ever hit a drywall screw or nail with another, you have
not done very much work. I use the little magnets, and when I find the
nails, I take a stud finder and find the border of the studs. Many times I
have to move my new nail/screw 1/4" so I don't hit the one that is already
there that I would have hit had I not identified it specifically with a
magnet. That may be the EXACT spot where I want to hang the picture hanger
nail or put the screw so the item is centered. Hang on. Once you've done
more work, this situation will come up.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Makes a LOT more mess though.
If you remove drywall screws (nails are a bit more trouble) and remove
full sheets of trywall there is not much mess involved, compared to
the "mike holmes" method of smashing a fist through the drywall and
pulling it down in chunks.

You got it! Less mess. And I've not found anything more 'fun' to try
and get rid of than drywall dust buried in carpet.

Of course, if you're a real contractor, you will want to get the job done in
less than three months. Unless it's T&M, then you can take the time to find
every screw and nail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 09:12:50 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

Makes a LOT more mess though.
If you remove drywall screws (nails are a bit more trouble) and remove
full sheets of trywall there is not much mess involved, compared to
the "mike holmes" method of smashing a fist through the drywall and
pulling it down in chunks.

You got it! Less mess. And I've not found anything more 'fun' to try
and get rid of than drywall dust buried in carpet.

Of course, if you're a real contractor, you will want to get the job done in
less than three months. Unless it's T&M, then you can take the time to find
every screw and nail.

Umm, this _is_ alt.HOME.REPAIR, not alt.contractor.cuts.corners.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 12:10*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
He said he's specifically looking for drywall nails. I've hung lots
of pics,
shelves, brackets, made openings, etc and never went looking for
nails.
I've looked for studs and I've had zero problems as a result.

If you have never ever hit a drywall screw or nail with another, you have
not done very much work. *I use the little magnets, and when I find the
nails, I take a stud finder and find the border of the studs. *Many times I
have to move my new nail/screw 1/4" so I don't hit the one that is already
there that I would have hit had I not identified it specifically with a
magnet. *That may be the EXACT spot where I want to hang the picture hanger
nail or put the screw so the item is centered. *Hang on. *Once you've done
more work, this situation will come up.

Steve

I didn't say I never hit a nail. What I said was I never
had a problem. I don't consider your example of hitting
an existing drywall nail or screw with a picture hanging
nail a problem. Hit it, nail won't go in, move it over 1/2"
or so, drive it in, hang picture. You think the typical
grandma hanging a pic of the grandkids is going to
go searching for drywall nails?

Besides, his stated purpose for searching for the nails
is to remove the drywall, a practice I have never seen.

Rebore facility locator cynic UK diy 8 October 26th 10 08:40 PM
Homebrew underground wire break locator. Bob F Home Repair 16 November 15th 07 05:57 AM
Hanging Drywall with Nail Gun? PCGumshoe Home Repair 6 August 1st 07 09:41 PM
concrete nails/coil nail/roofing nail/umbrella nail Bruce Chow Home Repair 0 November 22nd 05 02:32 AM
Is there a difference btw a Finish nail gun and Brad nail gun? dteckie Woodworking 4 September 10th 04 12:03 PM