Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Older hot air furnace problem

I have a furnace about 22 years old and I just replaced the circuit
board and thermostat and when I lit the pilot all seemed ok. When I
turned up the thermostat the blower kicked on for just a second or
two and then kicked off. Anybody have an idea about why this is
happening?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 3:28*am, " wrote:
I have a furnace about 22 years old and I just replaced the circuit
board and thermostat and when I lit the pilot all seemed ok. *When I
turned up the thermostat the blower kicked on for just *a second or
two and then kicked off. *Anybody have an idea about why this is
happening?

Flame sensor is faulty? ie it shuts down when it fails to detect a
flame is present. There are several technologies. Depends on which
one you have.

It may simply need removing and cleaning.

Could be a photocell or a thing like a spark plug with along wire goes
into the flame. --(electrode measures resistance. Flame resistance is
very low. No flame is very high)
Latter is more likely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 2:40*am, harry wrote:
On Nov 12, 3:28*am, " wrote:

I have a furnace about 22 years old and I just replaced the circuit
board and thermostat and when I lit the pilot all seemed ok. *When I
turned up the thermostat the blower kicked on for just *a second or
two and then kicked off. *Anybody have an idea about why this is
happening?

Flame sensor is faulty? ie it shuts down when it fails to detect a
flame is present. *There are several technologies. Depends on which
one you have.

It may simply need removing and cleaning.

Could be a photocell or a thing like a spark plug with along wire goes
into the flame. --(electrode measures resistance. Flame resistance *is
very low. No flame is very high)
Latter is more likely.

We need more information as to what kind of furnace this
actually is. We don't even know the fuel. What we have so far
does not sound right for an oil or gas furnace. When the
thermostat calls for heat, the blower does not normally start
right away. First the furnace fires and when the plenum temp
gets hot enough, then the blower kicks on to start moving the
air. That avoids cold start up blasts of air. That normally takes
30 secs to a minute, so I don;t understand how the
blower could be shutting off 2 secs after the thermostat
calls for heat.

Newer furnaces have an inducer blower for the combustion
air. If it were a newer furnace, I would think that might be
what is being referred to as the blower. But this is a 22 year
old furnace and I don't think they were around back then?
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I have a furnace about 22 years old and I just replaced the
circuit board

Well there's your problem.

The furnace isin't old enough if it has a circuit board.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 7:15*am, "
wrote:
On Nov 12, 2:40*am, harry wrote:

On Nov 12, 3:28*am, " wrote:

[...]

I should have mentioned it is a natural gas fired furnace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 9:11*am, " wrote:
On Nov 12, 7:15*am, "
wrote:

On Nov 12, 2:40*am, harry wrote:

On Nov 12, 3:28*am, " wrote:

[...]

I should have mentioned it is a natural gas *fired furnace.- Hide quoted text -

That's a start. But what about the rest of what I asked,
which is to say what blower
comes on when the thermostat calls for heat and then shuts off in
2 secs? The air handler blower on a gas furnace normally comes on
30 to 90 secs or so AFTER the furnace has fired. Does the furnace
fire up and light for the 2 secs? You need to describe exactly what
is happening.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote in message
On Nov 12, 2:40 am, harry wrote:
On Nov 12, 3:28 am, " wrote:

[...]

Actually, I have a 25 year old furnace and it has a blower for the exhaust
gasses using 2 inch plastic pipe to exhaust the fumes to outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 11:04*am, "
wrote:
On Nov 12, 9:11*am, " wrote:

On Nov 12, 7:15*am, "
wrote:

On Nov 12, 2:40*am, harry wrote:

On Nov 12, 3:28*am, " wrote:

[...]

Ok so it does not fire up either. It is the only blower on this unit
as far as I know
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 1:07*pm, "EXT" wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 12, 2:40 am, harry wrote:
On Nov 12, 3:28 am, " wrote:

[...]

gasses using 2 inch plastic pipe to exhaust the fumes to outside.- Hide quoted text -

Which still leaves us all wondering which blower the OP
is referring to. We still don't know. If it's the air handler,
I've never seen a gas furnace where that blower turns on
at the same time the thermostat calls for heat. And if
it's the blower for the exhaust, it's referred to as the inducer.
Maybe when he figures it out which blower it is, we can proceed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

On 11/12/2011 12:32 PM, wrote:
On Nov 12, 11:04 am,
wrote:
On Nov 12, 9:11 am, wrote:

On Nov 12, 7:15 am,
wrote:

On Nov 12, 2:40 am, wrote:

On Nov 12, 3:28 am, wrote:

[...]

It sounds like you wired it up wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 3:46*pm, cjt wrote:
On 11/12/2011 12:32 PM, wrote:

On Nov 12, 11:04 am,
wrote:
On Nov 12, 9:11 am, *wrote:

On Nov 12, 7:15 am,
wrote:

On Nov 12, 2:40 am, *wrote:

On Nov 12, 3:28 am, *wrote:

[...]

Good guess. I went over everything and found a loose wire in the
thermostat and I also replaced the Thermocouple and now it all works
like new. Thanks.

Wall furnace installation in older house terphenyl Home Repair 0 July 1st 09 02:05 AM
Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem) jack Home Repair 5 November 9th 08 02:22 PM
Older central air and furnace on potential home [email protected] Home Ownership 5 July 26th 06 04:58 PM
older sony RPTV problem Keith in NJ Electronics Repair 15 June 25th 05 08:27 PM