Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Isobutanol-Gasoline to the rescue

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Gevo-S...69105.html?x=0

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- In side by side performance,
durability and emissions testing of small engines, gasoline blended with
isobutanol performed better than blends using ethanol. Gevo, Inc.
(NASDAQ:GEVO - News), a renewable chemicals and advanced biofuels
company, provided the isobutanol to the Outdoor Power Equipment
Institute (OPEI) and Briggs & Stratton (B&S), who tested both fuel
blends in B&S small engines. The results demonstrated that unlike
ethanol, blends incorporating isobutanol do not cause any irregular or
unstable engine or performance issues. The outcome suggests that
isobutanol blends at 12.5% could ease the pressure on moving to higher
ethanol blends to meet biofuel mandates with no impact on small engines.
Isobutanol is a drop-in fuel that requires no flex fuel engines, special
blender pumps or pipelines.

"Briggs & Stratton is encouraged by the results of the isobutanol
testing on our engines,” said Todd Teske, Chairman, President & CEO of
Briggs & Stratton Corporation. "We are very interested in alternative
fuels that do not cause damage to the substantial number of engines in
use today while lessening the country's dependency on foreign oil."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2011 7:53 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

This whole mess got started when agribusiness convinced our politicians
that ethanol in gasoline would reduce pollution is spite of the fact
that the refiners said they could satisfy the requirement without it.

The law was written that there was an oxygenate requirement for some
fuels and oil companies found it better satisfied with MTBE which
eventually lost favor and became banned because a trace of it in water
made it taste bad.

The ethanol requirement was pushed further in the name of using
renewable bio fuels.

Isobutanol is one of these as there can be a bio source:

By and large the whole thing is a mess caused by politicians and the
crony capitalism we have today. These are the last people you want
making technical decisions.