Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Home Depot store security

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 06:21:53 -0700, SMS
wrote:

The stores love the video surveillance because actually witnessing
someone stealing is the only thing that holds up in court (and it never
goes to court once the thief sees the video footage).

Videos may not even exist in some cases. Last year three police
officers shot and killed a man "with a gun" at Costo in Las Vegas. He
carried concealed into ( against Costo policy - though LEGAL) the
store and the gun was observed, so police were called. The man was a
West Point graduate; prior military service.

The video recording DVR drives were taken by police, sent to an
independent forensic company for authentication.

Nothing was recovered from the drives as the drives had failed. Had
that video been available it may have proved what his family claimed
that police "killed" the man wrongly. The police were cleared during
the Coroner's Inquest. ( One cop was later charged in another incident
for selling a gun to a convicted felon).

Point is: Little attention to detail is given to video recordings by
some stores...

I remember the sequence from "The Big Easy" that shows where nailed to the
wall, rock solid, beyond ANY reasonable doubt evidence mysteriously
evaporates.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 6:45*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 28, 5:12*pm, bob haller wrote:

local home depots arent desined like this.....

the return counter is just a few steps from the main entrance....
requires walking thru no security scanners...... obviously a faulty
design

Perhaps you misunderstood my description of my local HD or I'm
misunderstanding yours...

He's saying his are different than yours. At yours, the scanners are
between the return desk and the rest of the store. At his, they are at
the entrance door. A far as I remember, at the ones near me, there is
no scanner near the entrance. The return desk is just inside the
entrance door, and there is often (maybe usually) a uniformed guard
hanging out right at the door where anyone trying sneak things out or
to the return desk can see him and be seen. They sometimes have a
guard at the door checking (very superficially) receipts. It's
possible that there is a scanner right at the door that I never
noticed, but certainly not one beyond there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

idiots would take a cart, load it up with high value stuff, then
return it at customer service using fake IDs. net take 70 grand. the
thieves would be issued gift cards, the thief would sell them on
craigslist for a discount..

So they netted $70K minus whatever discount they sold them for and you
called them "idiots"? Doesn't sound very idiotic to me.

true they made big bucks but did get caught. They are looking at a
long term in prison, and are idiots.

they cost all honest shoppers money. plus we will have to foot the
bill for prison, in PA its about 40 grand per prisoner per year.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 11:55*pm, Larry Fishel wrote:
[...]

If home depot had more staff just the presence of those brite orange
clothes would discouage thieves.

at my HD they must stock at nite there are few workers on the floor
and i have never seen them stocking shelves just straightening......

no staff in such a large store = more thieves at work
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:

If home depot had more staff just the presence of those brite orange
clothes would discouage thieves.

at my HD they must stock at nite there are few workers on the floor
and i have never seen them stocking shelves just straightening......

no staff in such a large store = more thieves at work

Yep. But one of the rules of loss prevention is that it is not, generally,
the one-time customer that rips off the store - it's the regulars! They keep
coming back to the well for more free stuff once they discover they can get
away with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 19:55:39 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 15:41:10 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I guess if they have all those cameras, they must have some boots on the
ground to back them up

Steve remember this one?

Costco in Summerlin....

http://www.lvrj.com/news/slaying-of-army-veteran-shocks-friends-98223884.html

Oren. How long have you lived in Las Vegas?

I lived there from 1952 until 2006, with various adventures out of Nevada
and the US of eight years or so inbetween. In all the times I lived there,
I do not recall ONE instance that an officer involved shooting was ruled
against by the board of review.

And there were some that were shadier than this one.

Steve

Giggle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:

did find the store full of a new security system.

I still wonder if bringing in your own pre-printed bar-code sticker to
cover over the one on the package of the product you want to buy is
happening to any great extent. The pre-printed code would be derived
from a similar product that you intend to buy - but with a much lower
price.

You take a picture of the barcode of the cheap product with your
cellphone, use commonly-available software at home to re-create the
barcode and print it on a sheet of sticky paper, cut it out and take
sticker with you to the store, take expensive product off the shelf and
put it in your shopping cart, peel sticker and apply over real barcode.
Let store cashier scan it. Pay for it and walk out of the store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:43:26 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

You take a picture of the barcode of the cheap product with your
cellphone, use commonly-available software at home to re-create the
barcode and print it on a sheet of sticky paper, cut it out and take
sticker with you to the store, take expensive product off the shelf and
put it in your shopping cart, peel sticker and apply over real barcode.
Let store cashier scan it. Pay for it and walk out of the store.

What a maroon, is he still stealing movies off the Internet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
bob haller wrote:

did find the store full of a new security system.

I still wonder if bringing in your own pre-printed bar-code sticker to
cover over the one on the package of the product you want to buy is
happening to any great extent. The pre-printed code would be derived
from a similar product that you intend to buy - but with a much lower
price.

You take a picture of the barcode of the cheap product with your
cellphone, use commonly-available software at home to re-create the
barcode and print it on a sheet of sticky paper, cut it out and take
sticker with you to the store, take expensive product off the shelf
and put it in your shopping cart, peel sticker and apply over real
barcode. Let store cashier scan it. Pay for it and walk out of the
store.

This is fairly common. A shopper buys a five-pound carton of mystery-meat
which she takes home to poison the neighbor's dog. Carefully removing the
price-sticker from the package, she coats the price-tag with rubber cement
and returns to the store. There she places the label sticky-side up in her
right hand while removing a package of T-bones from the cooler with her
left.

She flips the T-bones over into her right hand to look at the back(?)
thereby affixing the new sticker to the yummy meat.

Then pays for the product with food stamps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

This is fairly common. A shopper buys a five-pound carton of
mystery-meat which she takes home to poison the neighbor's dog.

I'm not sure I understand why poisoning the neighbor's dog is part of
this scam.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 10:55:53 -0700 (PDT), bob haller wrote:

idiots would take a cart, load it up with high value stuff, then
return it at customer service using fake IDs. net take 70 grand. the
thieves would be issued gift cards, the thief would sell them on
craigslist for a discount..

So they netted $70K minus whatever discount they sold them for and you
called them "idiots"? Doesn't sound very idiotic to me.

true they made big bucks but did get caught. They are looking at a
long term in prison, and are idiots.

they cost all honest shoppers money. plus we will have to foot the
bill for prison, in PA its about 40 grand per prisoner per year.....

PA (and others) should take lessons from Texas and Maracopa Co., AZ.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 20:11:39 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

This is fairly common. A shopper buys a five-pound carton of
mystery-meat which she takes home to poison the neighbor's dog.

I'm not sure I understand why poisoning the neighbor's dog is part of
this scam.

Because it isn't good enough for the bum on food stamps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

This is fairly common. A shopper buys a five-pound carton of
mystery-meat which she takes home to poison the neighbor's dog.

I'm not sure I understand why poisoning the neighbor's dog is part of
this scam.

Oh, it's just a literary embellishment thrown in to make the post more
interesting. Frankly, since you called me out on it, I'll admit I really
have no idea what she's going to do with the meat. I presume she'd want to
do SOMETHING constructive with it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:

On Oct 28, 3:06 am, harry wrote:
On Oct 28, 3:43 am, bob haller wrote:

New Home Depot store security
I went to home depot today. searching for a employee to get some wire
cut, couldnt find anyone close by electrical.

did find the store full of a new security system. It features cameras
and tv monitors, with flashing lights, beeping constantly, and
messages you are bering recorded.

Now I dont mind security cameras or even audio recordings but dont
care to see my picture repeatedly, they literally have hundreds of
cameras with monitors all thru the store.

Unable to find help I stopped at the registers to give the store
manager my opinion of their new security system. a guy did come I
asked are you a manager? well no can i help? no i want to speak to the
store manager, no he isnt available......

Well I went on a tirade of their new system, and left suggesting they
take a photo of me a now lost customer..

I am all for stopping retail theft but this is way too annoying and
the beeping drove me nuts

I called home depot complaint line, they took my info but no one
called me back.

has anyone else seen anything so intrusiv

You obviously live in a rough area :-)- Hide quoted text -

the store isnt in a rough area, low overall crime rate even for
pittsburgh zip 15237.

You have great bus service from "urban" Pittsburgh to supply all those
suburban stores with min wage help - you import your crime!

My HD is in a "better" area of ****sburgh (no bus service whatsoever)
and has no such security.

home depot recently stopped a major theft problem.

idiots would take a cart, load it up with high value stuff, then
return it at customer service using fake IDs. net take 70 grand. the
thieves would be issued gift cards, the thief would sell them on
craigslist for a discount..

i guess home depot wants to discourage copy cat thieves........

like i said i dont mind video and even audio recordings, but refuse to
see me on every camera in the store.

today i will check out lowes, hopefully they havent done the same
thing.

if this sticks it will be in every store nationwide

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 11:28*pm, "Bob(but not THAT Bob)"
wrote:
bob haller wrote:

On Oct 28, 3:06 am, harry wrote:
[...]

if this sticks it will be in every store nationwide- Hide quoted text -

the people stealing stuff arent hauling home the goods by bus

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
home depot recently stopped a major theft problem.

idiots would take a cart, load it up with high value stuff, then
return it at customer service using fake IDs. net take 70 grand. the
thieves would be issued gift cards, the thief would sell them on
craigslist for a discount..

i guess home depot wants to discourage copy cat thieves........

like i said i dont mind video and even audio recordings, but refuse
to see me on every camera in the store.

today i will check out lowes, hopefully they havent done the same
thing.

if this sticks it will be in every store nationwide- Hide quoted
text -

the people stealing stuff arent hauling home the goods by bus

Believe it or not, there's a market for the packing material (box, papers,
plastic bags, etc.) that are used to ship flat-panel TVs (check Ebay).

Burglars need these boxes to re-pack the stolen TVs. The thieves can then
either "return" them to some store, or sell the sets to bargain hunters as
"it fell off a truck."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2011 6:53 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Home Guy wrote:
bob haller wrote:

[...]

Yeah, right. In this day and age, when all price stickers have the
product description encoded to display when rung up and printed on the
receipt, for the cashier to review.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:27:55 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

bob haller wrote:
[...]

Ah, so when you ship the empty box to them, they know where the matching set
is, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
On Oct 28, 11:36 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Oren wrote:

I was in HD yesterday. Cameras every where. Even the fake ones that
simulate recording crime. They have no film recorded. You can tell by
looking at them.

I think the instructions cautions that the presence of a camera, even a fake
one, generates ill will amongst employees or customers. Therefore, the
instructions read, one should HIDE the camera, out of sight, even the fake
ones.

most cameras are in cieling mirrored balls....

this home depot system takes first place for intusive and irritating
with flashing strobe lights flashing messages and beeping. makes all
customers feel like thieves

i hope they get lots of complaints.

Another reason for me to go to Busy Beaver stores.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
bob haller wrote:

On Oct 28, 3:06 am, harry wrote:
[...]

They select an appropriate sized vehicle from the parking lot and drive
it home!

BTW back when I was a poor kid (and you could actually by "things"
downtown), I once carted a 100+ lb. room A/C home on a bus.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did the driver charge you for two seats?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob(but not THAT Bob)" wrote in
message ...

BTW back when I was a poor kid (and you could actually by
"things"
downtown), I once carted a 100+ lb. room A/C home on a bus.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob(but not THAT Bob)" wrote in
:

wrote:
bob haller wrote:

On Oct 28, 3:06 am, harry wrote:
[...]

Decades ago I brought a case of bottled beer back to the hotel on a bus
in Aruba. Everybody else carried cameras.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:27:55 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Believe it or not,

'Nuff said.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 10:19*am, bob haller wrote:

store manager called me back its a test of new technology........

cameras are fine but i wouldnt shop at any store that puts up a
monitor in my view..... thats over the edge

whoever in corporate approved this should resign or be fired for gross
stupidity

You prefer to have your video cameras hidden? The setup is meant as a
deterrent. It's a much better deterrent if it's visible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 5:27*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Believe it or not, there's a market for the packing material (box, papers,
plastic bags, etc.) that are used to ship flat-panel TVs (check Ebay).

Burglars need these boxes to re-pack the stolen TVs. The thieves can then
either "return" them to some store, or sell the sets to bargain hunters as
"it fell off a truck."

No, I don't believe it. A store wouldn't take back a big ticket item
without a receipt. Period.

Please provide a link to such an item on eBay. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

I carried this pay phone through Reagan airport and past TSA to bring
it home as a carry on. I told them I promise I will not make any calls
in flight. They didn't like it and they had a conference but they let
me take it.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/bar.jpg

Looks like we'll be going to Mazatlan this year for a couple of weeks. Last
trip, I learned that the hotel owns the beach in front of the hotel, and
doesn't mind if guests metal detect. So, I'm going to take mine. But, in
order to do that, I need to make a new shaft that will break down into
shorter lengths so it will fit into the dictated dimensions. I am
interested in finding out if it will be allowed in carry on, and somewhat
dismayed, as I will be in a spot when I find out if they will let it on the
plane. I believe I will remove all batteries from it so that is not an
issue.

These people are nuts. Common sense is dead.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 10:54*am, "Steve B" wrote:

Looks like we'll be going to Mazatlan this year for a couple of weeks. *Last
trip, I learned that the hotel owns the beach in front of the hotel, and
doesn't mind if guests metal detect. *So, I'm going to take mine. *But, in
order to do that, I need to make a new shaft that will break down into
shorter lengths so it will fit into the dictated dimensions. *I am
interested in finding out if it will be allowed in carry on, and somewhat
dismayed, as I will be in a spot when I find out if they will let it on the
plane. *I believe I will remove all batteries from it so that is not an
issue.

You will need the batteries to show TSA that it operates or they will
confiscate it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2011 7:54 AM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Here's another idea. If you know where exactly and when exactly you are
going, just ship it there (and back) UPS.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 10:28*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 28, 10:19*am, bob haller wrote:

store manager called me back its a test of new technology........

cameras are fine but i wouldnt shop at any store that puts up a
monitor in my view..... thats over the edge

whoever in corporate approved this should resign or be fired for gross
stupidity

You prefer to have your video cameras hidden? *The setup is meant as a
deterrent. *It's a much better deterrent if it's visible.

i COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THE CAMERAS, I JUST REFUSE TO HAVE TO SEE
MYSELF AS I WALK THRU THE STORE.

I really dont like my own personal appearance, and many people are
like me
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
[...]

TY. Good idea, because if I get into line, and it creates a stir, it could
keep me off the flight. I really would like to metal detect on this stretch
of beach, as it is a high end RCI property, and I think I could find
something. With the price of gold today, I could pay for the two weeks. Or
at the least, get a couple of room or phone numbers ................

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 07:54:29 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Can you put it in your checked bags? We take all sorts of wield stuff
on vacation.

To me, it depends on size, and in its present form, it is about 36" long in
its carrying case, outside the parameters of that little test box for
carry-ons. I know some flight attendants are reasonable people, and then,
some are not.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 13:51:43 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

i COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THE CAMERAS, I JUST REFUSE TO HAVE TO SEE
MYSELF AS I WALK THRU THE STORE.

I really dont like my own personal appearance, and many people are
like me

I bet you look worse when naked?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

One of the freight carriers (I think UPS) makes a box that looks like
colorful Japanese cardboard luggage in which you can ship your stuff to your
destination hotel in advance. It's certainly cheaper than the $50 or so bag
charge that some airlines have (Yeah, Southwest).

Over the years, we've shipped much convention stuff to our destination
hotel. Here's an example of the address tag:

Guest John Smith
Best Inn Hotel
1111 Main Street
Little Rabbit, Oklahoma 78787