Posted to alt.home.repair

Default R-20, R-50 insulation

I have very small attic (2 sides, each has like around 37 sequre f) I
guess very small, no?
anyway I want to insulate the floor of the attic and i am not sure
what to chose! I have seen R-20 R-50 etc but not sure what they
represent. i live in toronto canada and it is cold here so not sure
which insulation fit my attic better.
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
I have very small attic (2 sides, each has like around 37 sequre f) I
guess very small, no?
anyway I want to insulate the floor of the attic and i am not sure
what to chose! I have seen R-20 R-50 etc but not sure what they
represent. i live in toronto canada and it is cold here so not sure
which insulation fit my attic better.
Thanks

Hi,
In my neck of the wood, the minimum per code is R50 for the attic.
My house has R60 blown in fiberglass. Don't forget the vapor barrier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 9:26*pm, leza wang wrote:
I have very small attic (2 sides, each has like around 37 sequre f) I
guess very small, no?
anyway I want to insulate the floor of the attic and i am not sure
what to chose! I have seen R-20 R-50 etc but not sure what they
represent. i live in toronto canada and it is cold here so not sure
which insulation fit my attic better.
Thanks

Part of the advice will depend on how you get into the attic to place
the insulation, if there is any flooring in the attic,. Please tell
us more about the attic, 37 square feet means the attic is slightly
larger than 6ft by 6ft which doesn't make much sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
I have very small attic (2 sides, each has like around 37 sequre f) I
guess very small, no?
anyway I want to insulate the floor of the attic and i am not sure
what to chose! I have seen R-20 R-50 etc but not sure what they
represent. i live in toronto canada and it is cold here so not sure
which insulation fit my attic better.

"R-value" is a measure of heat conductivity. The bigger the "R", the lower
the heat conductivity and the more insulation capability. For example:

A regular brick: R=0.80
1/2" drywall: R=0.45
Fiberglass batts: R=3.14 per inch of thickness

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
leza wang wrote:
I have very small attic (2 sides, each has like around 37 sequre f) I
guess very small, no?
anyway I want to insulate the floor of the attic and i am not sure
what to chose! I have seen R-20 R-50 etc but not sure what they
represent. i live in toronto canada and it is cold here so not sure
which insulation fit my attic better.

"R-value" is a measure of heat conductivity. The bigger the "R", the lower
the heat conductivity and the more insulation capability. For example:

A regular brick: R=0.80
1/2" drywall: R=0.45
Fiberglass batts: R=3.14 per inch of thickness

Hi,
I thought R stands for "resistance" not conductivity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 9:33*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
leza wang wrote:
I have very small attic (2 sides, each has like around 37 sequre f) I
guess very small, no?
anyway I want to insulate the floor of the attic and i am not sure
what to chose! I have seen R-20 R-50 etc but not sure what they
represent. i live in toronto canada and it is cold here so not sure
which insulation fit my attic better.

"R-value" is a measure of heat conductivity. The bigger the "R", the lower
the heat conductivity and the more insulation capability. For example:

A regular brick: R=0.80
1/2" drywall: R=0.45
Fiberglass batts: R=3.14 per inch of thickness

Hi,
I thought R stands for "resistance" not conductivity.- Hide quoted text -

I think you are correct, but resistivity is an inverse measure of
conductivity. Leza is a lady, if I remember correctly from earlier
posts, and someone who is trying to learn and do a lot of home repair
things. Good for her!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 19:26:26 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

I have very small attic (2 sides, each has like around 37 sequre f) I
guess very small, no?
anyway I want to insulate the floor of the attic and i am not sure
what to chose! I have seen R-20 R-50 etc but not sure what they
represent. i live in toronto canada and it is cold here so not sure
which insulation fit my attic better.
Thanks

Dig around on this site.

http://insulation.owenscorning.com/homeowners/renovation/

This addresses using batts & rolls:

http://insulation.owenscorning.com/homeowners/renovation/projects/attics/insulating-fiberglas-batts/

For a small space, this will work. There may be some videos to help
you out. I did not look.

See the insulation Calculator.

"...Remember to keep insulation 3” away from recessed lighting
fixtures and from any metal chimneys, gas water heater flues or other
heat-producing devices."

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
leza wang wrote:
I have very small attic (2 sides, each has like around 37 sequre f)
I guess very small, no?
anyway I want to insulate the floor of the attic and i am not sure
what to chose! I have seen R-20 R-50 etc but not sure what they
represent. i live in toronto canada and it is cold here so not sure
which insulation fit my attic better.

"R-value" is a measure of heat conductivity. The bigger the "R", the
lower the heat conductivity and the more insulation capability. For
example: A regular brick: R=0.80
1/2" drywall: R=0.45
Fiberglass batts: R=3.14 per inch of thickness

Hi,
I thought R stands for "resistance" not conductivity.

Well, you're right.

"R" is a measure of thickness / conductivity. Or thickness x resitance
(since resistance is the inverse of conductivity and vice-versa).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 11:39*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Oct 22, 9:26*pm, leza wang wrote:

I have very small attic (2 sides, each has like around 37 sequre f) I
guess very small, no?
anyway I want to insulate the floor of the attic and i am not sure
what to chose! I have seen R-20 R-50 etc but not sure what they
represent. i live in toronto canada and it is cold here so not sure
which insulation fit my attic better.
Thanks

Part of the advice will depend on how you get into the attic to place
the insulation, if there is any flooring in the attic,. *Please tell
us more about the attic, 37 square feet means the attic is slightly
larger than 6ft by 6ft which doesn't make much sense.

thanks a lot for your reply, i did do the measurement again. i have 2
attic, one with size 8fx7.5f = 60 sf and the other one is 8fx2.5f =
20sf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 2:36*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 07:03:05 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

hr(bob) wrote:
On Oct 22, 9:26 pm, leza wang wrote:
I have very small attic (2 sides, each has like around 37 sequre f) I
guess very small, no?
anyway I want to insulate the floor of the attic and i am not sure
what to chose! I have seen R-20 R-50 etc but not sure what they
represent. i live in toronto canada and it is cold here so not sure
which insulation fit my attic better.
Thanks

Part of the advice will depend on how you get into the attic to place
the insulation, if there is any flooring in the attic,. *Please tell
us more about the attic, 37 square feet means the attic is slightly
larger than 6ft by 6ft which doesn't make much sense.

Maybe he lives in a pyramid?

Generally an inaccessible "attic" in a cottage roofed 1 1/2 story
house- Hide quoted text -

you are right it is 1 1/2 story home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
leza wang wrote:
[...]

things. *Good for her!!- Hide quoted text -

thanks a lot indeed.
Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

On 10/30/2011 11:05 AM, leza wang wrote:
On Oct 22, 11:39 pm, "hr(bob)
wrote:
On Oct 22, 9:26 pm, leza wrote:

I have very small attic (2 sides, each has like around 37 sequre f) I
guess very small, no?
anyway I want to insulate the floor of the attic and i am not sure
what to chose! I have seen R-20 R-50 etc but not sure what they
represent. i live in toronto canada and it is cold here so not sure
which insulation fit my attic better.
Thanks

Part of the advice will depend on how you get into the attic to place
the insulation, if there is any flooring in the attic,. Please tell
us more about the attic, 37 square feet means the attic is slightly
larger than 6ft by 6ft which doesn't make much sense.

thanks a lot for your reply, i did do the measurement again. i have 2
attic, one with size 8fx7.5f = 60 sf and the other one is 8fx2.5f =
20sf

That's incredibly small. Are you sure you don't mean meters?