Posted to alt.home.repair

Default leaking around shower valve cartridge

Five years ago I replaced the Moen 1200 single-faucet cartridge in my
shower. Now it drips from the knob. It seems to be leaking around the
cartridge.

I found the plastic adapter and, after tapping the pipe, got the
cartridge to turn. Drawing it out will be another matter. I don't
recall that the one I replaced was hard to pull out, once I turned it.

How should I get this one out? Is there an anti-corrosive/sealer/lube I
should use when installing a cartridge? Should I not remove it until I
have a new cartridge on hand?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"J Burns" wrote in message
Five years ago I replaced the Moen 1200 single-faucet cartridge in my
shower. Now it drips from the knob. It seems to be leaking around the
cartridge.

I found the plastic adapter and, after tapping the pipe, got the cartridge
to turn. Drawing it out will be another matter. I don't recall that the
one I replaced was hard to pull out, once I turned it.

How should I get this one out? Is there an anti-corrosive/sealer/lube I
should use when installing a cartridge? Should I not remove it until I
have a new cartridge on hand?

I've found the easiest way to pull a Moen cartridge is by the use of a
slide hammer/dent puller.
Just fit it with the right screw to fit the cartridge and give it a couple
of smart whacks.
I have found it is usually hard water residue that has built up around the
cartridge that holds it in place.
And yes, have the replacement in hand before pulling the old one.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 19, 10:01*am, "Charlie" wrote:
"J Burns" wrote in message

[...]

....otherwise you won't be able to turn the house water back on until
you install the replacement, unless you happen to have separate
shutoff valves for the shower, and/or you cut off and cap the pipes
feeding the shower.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/11 11:11 AM, N8N wrote:
On Oct 19, 10:01 am, wrote:
"J wrote in message

[...]

That's what I'm afraid of.

I think the cartridge is fine except possibly the external o-rings. The
one I replaced lasted 20 years, until it became hard to shut off
completely. This one works beautifully and slides easily.

If this one has begun to drip (a pint an hour) in five years, perhaps
it's because I didn't think about removing possible corrosion from the
fitting before inserting the new cartridge. I don't think Moen mentions
that step, or using plumber's grease.

Perhaps the one I replaced was also hard to turn, and I've forgotten.
Before I went to bed, I remembered that it had always been necessary to
use pliers to pull a cartridge out by the stem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/11 11:11 AM, N8N wrote:
On Oct 19, 10:01 am, wrote:
"J wrote in message

I've found the easiest way to pull a Moen cartridge is by the use of a
slide hammer/dent puller.
Just fit it with the right screw to fit the cartridge and give it a couple
of smart whacks.
I have found it is usually hard water residue that has built up around the
cartridge that holds it in place.
And yes, have the replacement in hand before pulling the old one.

Charlie

...otherwise you won't be able to turn the house water back on until
you install the replacement, unless you happen to have separate
shutoff valves for the shower, and/or you cut off and cap the pipes
feeding the shower.

nate

Piece of cake. I stuck a #0 Phillips through the stem and couldn't
budge it. I laid a big screwdriver on the rim of the fitting and pried
against the Phillips. Easy!

Yep, corrosion in the fitting. I wound up a Scotch Pad, stuck it in the
hole, and turned. Then I dried and greased it.

The o-rings look good but, naturally, the metal has corrosion on the
surface. I'll buy a cartridg to keep on hand. With plumbers' grease, I
hope the fitting lasts and lasts.

Thanks, Charlie and Nate, for your advice. I was scared!

Shower cartridge Richard Tobin UK diy 2 January 29th 16 04:44 AM
Leaking toilet/cartridge replacement Grip Home Repair 0 September 12th 09 04:17 PM
CH drain tap leaking, radiator valve leaking, valve not working (?) Clive UK diy 2 October 15th 08 05:13 AM
Leaking Aqualisa 600 Cartridge Replacement? Zoe UK diy 2 May 22nd 06 07:19 PM