Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Some more electrical questions for bath reno

These are some pics of the gutted bathroom I'm renovating, with the
last pic showing a tub I installed.
Going from left to tight will be a toilet, vanity sink, and the tub.
https://picasaweb.google.com/mikeroc...eat=directlink

1) With regard to putting a GFI outlet by the vanity, I was
questioning to put it on the left side or the right side of the
vanity. Any issues if I mount it to the right of the vanity, within
arms reach of the shower (is it code)? Or am I better off mounting it
on the left side by the toilet?

2) When mounting a box above the medicine cabinet for the vanity
light, is an octagon box used, or can I just use an outlet box mounted
sideways as I've seen in the past?

3) If I'm putting a Hi-hat in the shower (8 foot high ceiling), does
it need to be GFI? I thought I read somewhere as long as your using
the correct lens/baffle it does not need to be GFI.

Thanks again for everyones help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

These are some pics of the gutted bathroom I'm renovating, with the
last pic showing a tub I installed.
Going from left to tight will be a toilet, vanity sink, and the tub.
https://picasaweb.google.com/mikeroc...eat=directlink

1) With regard to putting a GFI outlet by the vanity, I was
questioning to put it on the left side or the right side of the
vanity. Any issues if I mount it to the right of the vanity, within
arms reach of the shower (is it code)? Or am I better off mounting it
on the left side by the toilet?

*It is supposed to be within 3' of the sink edge. Put it where it is the
safest.

2) When mounting a box above the medicine cabinet for the vanity
light, is an octagon box used, or can I just use an outlet box mounted
sideways as I've seen in the past?

*You can use a switch box if it is approved for lighting fixture support.
However it will be easier to mount a light fixture on a round (Octagon) box.

3) If I'm putting a Hi-hat in the shower (8 foot high ceiling), does
it need to be GFI? I thought I read somewhere as long as your using
the correct lens/baffle it does not need to be GFI.

*The GFI requirement would be specified by the manufacturer. Use a trim
that is approved for showers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Why not put one on both sides. Nobody ever complained about having
too
many receptacles. Think about chargers and such along with that
ubiquitous hair dryer so you probably want one serving any counter
space you have.

This is what I did. Two outlets, one on either side of the sink. Never
enough outlets! THINK about what you might possibly need, then design
it that way. Don't install just one outlet because that is what
everyone else does...

Also I placed the shower head WAY up high so I don't need to bend
down.

And I installed the bath/shower handles about 11 inches higher than
usual (bath spout same height). Then you can more easily reach them
when taking a shower, but can still reach them if taking a bath.