Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Minwax: fluke or just "lucky"

Okay, I just got bit for the second time and I was wondering if this
is a fluke or something that happens often enough that it should be
planned for.

Twice I've bought Minwax Helmsman finish, gotten it home, applied it
to a wood project only to discover the can was mislabeled.
Specifically I bought satin and what was in the can was semi gloss or
gloss.

It's a royal pain to correct. Seems to me that you pretty much have
to sand back down to wood and start over with the staining.

Was I just unlucky to get mislabeled product from them twice (not
sequentially)? Should I always do a couple of test runs on scrap wood
and expect a couple return trips to the hardware store first?

Thanks
Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2011 9:46 AM, MMark wrote:
Okay, I just got bit for the second time and I was wondering if this
is a fluke or something that happens often enough that it should be
planned for.

Twice I've bought Minwax Helmsman finish, gotten it home, applied it
to a wood project only to discover the can was mislabeled.
Specifically I bought satin and what was in the can was semi gloss or
gloss.

It's a royal pain to correct. Seems to me that you pretty much have
to sand back down to wood and start over with the staining.

fine steel wool

Was I just unlucky to get mislabeled product from them twice (not
sequentially)? Should I always do a couple of test runs on scrap wood
and expect a couple return trips to the hardware store first?

what did minwax say when you called them using the 800 # on the can?

Thanks
Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the reply...

On Sep 12, 1:28*pm, chaniarts wrote:
It's a royal pain to correct. *Seems to me that you pretty much have
to sand back down to wood and start over with the staining.

fine steel wool

Fine steel wool? Really? Does that just take off the finish without
doing too much damage to the stain?

Would not have thought of that...

Was I just unlucky to get mislabeled product from them twice (not
sequentially)? *Should I always do a couple of test runs on scrap wood
and expect a couple return trips to the hardware store first?

what did minwax say when you called them using the 800 # on the can?

Just sent them a note on their website; haven't heard back yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 11:46*am, MMark wrote:
Okay, I just got bit for the second time and I was wondering if this
is a fluke or something that happens often enough that it should be
planned for.

Twice I've bought Minwax Helmsman finish, gotten it home, applied it
to a wood project only to discover the can was mislabeled.
Specifically I bought satin and what was in the can was semi gloss or
gloss.

It's a royal pain to correct. *Seems to me that you pretty much have
to sand back down to wood and start over with the staining.

Was I just unlucky to get mislabeled product from them twice (not
sequentially)? *Should I always do a couple of test runs on scrap wood
and expect a couple return trips to the hardware store first?

Thanks
Mark

Just give it a clear coat of whatever gloss /nongloss varnish youwant
it to look like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MMark wrote:
Was I just unlucky to get mislabeled product from them twice (not
sequentially)? Should I always do a couple of test runs on scrap wood
and expect a couple return trips to the hardware store first?

the test piece sounds like a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you put a couple of coats of satin over gloss, it'll look satiny.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MMark" wrote in message
Okay, I just got bit for the second time and I was wondering if this
is a fluke or something that happens often enough that it should be
planned for.

Twice I've bought Minwax Helmsman finish, gotten it home, applied it
to a wood project only to discover the can was mislabeled.
Specifically I bought satin and what was in the can was semi gloss or
gloss.

It's a royal pain to correct. Seems to me that you pretty much have
to sand back down to wood and start over with the staining.

Was I just unlucky to get mislabeled product from them twice (not
sequentially)? Should I always do a couple of test runs on scrap wood
and expect a couple return trips to the hardware store first?

Thanks
Mark

Sounds like the flatting agent settled out. It must be mixed in and that
takes more effort than you might think. I find I must really dig down to
lift the agent into the fluid before mixing.

Good Luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MMark wrote:
Okay, I just got bit for the second time and I was wondering if this
is a fluke or something that happens often enough that it should be
planned for.

Twice I've bought Minwax Helmsman finish, gotten it home, applied it
to a wood project only to discover the can was mislabeled.
Specifically I bought satin and what was in the can was semi gloss or
gloss.

It's a royal pain to correct. Seems to me that you pretty much have
to sand back down to wood and start over with the staining.

Was I just unlucky to get mislabeled product from them twice (not
sequentially)? Should I always do a couple of test runs on scrap wood
and expect a couple return trips to the hardware store first?

Thanks
Mark

My experience with polyurethane, mixing is very important. The top fluid is
different from bottom fluid. The top may be slower drying producing gloss.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

My experience with polyurethane, mixing is very important. The top fluid is
different from bottom fluid. The top may be slower drying producing gloss.

Well now there's egg on my face (or maybe unmixed satin finish).
After Greg and Baron's responses, I went down and gave the can one of
those paint-store shakes and did a test patch. It came out as
expected.

I didn't expect the satin finish to be that dependent on a thorough
mixing beforehand.

Thanks for the insight.