Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leviton GFCI Receptacle Questions

Hello,

I have a Leviton GFCI duplex receptacle, bought at ACE, that I installed
a few years back, and no longer
have the instruction sheet for. I have a note that the model No. is 8599

It's the pretty typical 2 outlet type, with the black and red
pushbuttons between the outlets.

It does Not have the little green test light/power indicator light in
the corner that I noticed the new models apparently come with.

Would like to test it out, as anything i plug into it does not work.
The house circuit breaker for it is Not tripped.

How do I test it please:

If I press the black "Test" button in, is the red "Reset" button
supposed to pop-out ?
If it does, or doesn't, what does this indicate ?

As long as both buttons are in (depressed positions), which they are,
should it be working ?

If anyone could tell me how to test the functionality of the gadget,
would be most appreciative. Not too sharp with this stuff, so fairly
detailed steps would be appreciated.

Am most interested in why it doesn't supply power, rather than the GFCI
aspects.

BTW: these things have a history of usually being pretty reliable ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 8:11*am, Bob wrote:
Hello,

I have a Leviton GFCI duplex receptacle, bought at ACE, that I installed
a few years back, and no longer
have the instruction sheet for. I have a note that the model No. is 8599

It's the pretty typical 2 outlet type, with the black and red
pushbuttons between the outlets.

It does Not have the little green test light/power indicator light in
the corner that I noticed the new models apparently come with.

Would like to test it out, as anything i plug into it does not work.
The house circuit breaker for it is Not tripped.

How do I test it please:

If I press the black "Test" button in, is the red "Reset" button
supposed to pop-out ?

Yes, but only if there is power there.

If it does, or doesn't, what does this indicate ?

If it's working the reset button will pop out
indicating it detected a fault. If it doesn't
then the GFCI is bad.

As long as both buttons are in (depressed positions), which they are,
should it be working ?

Yes it should, but apparently either it's kaput
or it's not getting power due to something else
wrong on the circuit, eg a wire is disconnected
somewhere along that circuit path. I would try moving the
circuit breaker for that circuit all the way to the
off position, then back on. Sometimes the
breaker can trip, but the handle only move
part way, leading you to believe it;s on.
Or alternatively, are other outlets, lights, etc on that
breaker working?

Is it possible there is another
GFCI upstream on that circuit before this one
that is tripped? Usually you would not wire it
that way, but it can be done.

If anyone could tell me how to test the functionality of the gadget,
would be most appreciative. Not too sharp with this stuff, so fairly
detailed steps would be appreciated.

Am most interested in why it doesn't supply power, rather than the GFCI
aspects.

BTW: *these things have a history of usually being pretty reliable ?

Thanks,
Bob

They are usually realible, but they do sometimes go bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2011 8:11 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

I have a Leviton GFCI duplex receptacle, bought at ACE, that I installed
a few years back, and no longer
have the instruction sheet for. I have a note that the model No. is 8599

It's the pretty typical 2 outlet type, with the black and red
pushbuttons between the outlets.

It does Not have the little green test light/power indicator light in
the corner that I noticed the new models apparently come with.

Would like to test it out, as anything i plug into it does not work.
The house circuit breaker for it is Not tripped.

How do I test it please:

If I press the black "Test" button in, is the red "Reset" button
supposed to pop-out ?
If it does, or doesn't, what does this indicate ?

If it doesn't pass the test it is defective assuming you verified there
is power. There really isn't much else you can do.

As long as both buttons are in (depressed positions), which they are,
should it be working ?

If anyone could tell me how to test the functionality of the gadget,
would be most appreciative. Not too sharp with this stuff, so fairly
detailed steps would be appreciated.

Am most interested in why it doesn't supply power, rather than the GFCI
aspects.

BTW: these things have a history of usually being pretty reliable ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote

It's the pretty typical 2 outlet type, with the black and red
pushbuttons between the outlets.

How do I test it please:

If I press the black "Test" button in, is the red "Reset" button
supposed to pop-out ?

Yes

If it does, or doesn't, what does this indicate ?

Pops out means OK. Stays in, = junk

As long as both buttons are in (depressed positions), which they are,
should it be working ?

No. It's broke.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote in :

[...]

Either it's broke or power is not getting to it.

Possibilities include:

The breaker is tripped even though it may not look like it's tripped.
Turn it all the way off and back on. Should get a very distintive click.
Compare to the click of another breaker of the same type in the panel.

The breaker is bad. Test breaker with a meter for power between the
breaker connection screw and the white common bar. To do this the panel
cover needs to be removed. Death awaits you if you have no experience
with opened panel boxes.

Turn power off. Remove the outlet. Determine LINE side of the GFI. Turn
power on. Test for power on the side marked LINE. Other side will be the
LOAD side. If you have power, replace the GFI.

If the new GFI will not stay powered on then the old GFI was not bad and
just doing it's job. You have a ground fault.

If you have no power on the line side and you feel the breaker has power
from it's terminal to commom then something in between feeding the GFI
is bad.

When you turn the breaker off do other things stop working?

For instance, if it's wired so another outlet (GFI or regular duplex) is
feeding the GFI load side, that outlet or a connection from the outlet
could be bad.

A connection in a junction box between the panel anf GFI could be loose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:50:05 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Bob wrote in :

[...]

Some of these things are real nasties to reset. Be certain you are
pressing the "reset" button all the way in.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/11/2011 08:11 AM, Bob wrote:
[...]

I don't believe that they will trip if there's no power on the "line"
side terminals. So you could have a faulty GFCI, or you could have a
problem in your wiring (likely a loose connection.) Easy enough to turn
off the breaker, carefully (because you have no way of 100% verifying
that there's no power on the wires in the box until you remove the GFCI)
remove the GFCI and pull it out of the box, take your meter and check
for voltage across the black and white terminals on the GFCI with the
breaker turned back on. If you have voltage, replace the GFCI. If you
don't, start troubleshooting that problem.

good luck

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2011 8:11 AM, Bob wrote:
[...]

Some GFCI receptacles are pretty tricky to reset. I find that pushing
the reset button with a screwdriver works, where my finger often
doesn't. That model is an older one, which doesn't have a "lock out", so
the reset button should remain in even if there is no power to the
receptacle. Pull the receptacle, verify that you have a good hot and
neutral, if so, and the reset button is not popped out, it's toast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 8:11*am, Bob wrote:
[...]

Did this outlet ever work ?

Or are you trying to figure out what went wrong when you put it in ?

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2011 7:11 AM, Bob wrote:
[...]

I agree with what others have written.

If an old GFCI is installed backwards (line-load reversed) the
receptacle will always be hot. The test seems to work OK and anything
connected through the receptacle downstream will protect OK. The
recommended test is to plug in something like a lamp and make sure it
goes off.

Newer GFCIs if installed backwards (line-load reversed) will not trip on
a ground fault at the receptacle. If they do trip (like from the test
button) they can not be reset. I believe they are all shipped tripped so
they will not work if installed backwards.