Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help fixing a tap?

My cold tap doesn't work - it just runs a dribble when turned on. When
off, its off.

Do I need to change a washer? Maybe I need to replace the tap?

I got this far (see photo) however, when I use my adjustable wrench to
try and turn the brass bit off, the tap body just moves with it....

Photo
http://picpaste.com/P1070566-zBtfxp6N.JPG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 4:03*pm, London Gent wrote:
My cold tap doesn't work - it just runs a dribble when turned on. When
off, its off.

Do I need to change a washer? Maybe I need to replace the tap?

I got this far (see photo) however, when I use my adjustable wrench to
try and turn the brass bit off, the tap body just moves with it....

Photohttp://picpaste.com/P1070566-zBtfxp6N.JPG

You need to hold the tap body and prevent it from turning.
Important,you may bugger upthe pipework underneath if you don't.

You may well find your el cheapo tap is buggered. In the UK you can
buy a new complete top and guts for it making it effectively new once
more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The photo is helpful. Hard to tell from here, what the
problem is.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"London Gent" wrote in message
My cold tap doesn't work - it just runs a dribble when
turned on. When
off, its off.

Do I need to change a washer? Maybe I need to replace the
tap?

I got this far (see photo) however, when I use my adjustable
wrench to
try and turn the brass bit off, the tap body just moves with
it....

Photo
http://picpaste.com/P1070566-zBtfxp6N.JPG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 4:38*pm, harry wrote:
On Sep 9, 4:03*pm, London Gent wrote: My cold tap doesn't work - it just runs a dribble when turned on. When
off, its off.

Do I need to change a washer? Maybe I need to replace the tap?

I got this far (see photo) however, when I use my adjustable wrench to
try and turn the brass bit off, the tap body just moves with it....

Photohttp://picpaste.com/P1070566-zBtfxp6N.JPG

You need to hold the tap body and prevent it from turning.
Important,you may bugger upthe pipework underneath if you don't.

You may well find your el cheapo tap is *buggered. *In the UK you can
buy a new complete top and guts for it making it effectively new once
more.

If Lg is fromt he UK (it looks like a UK tap), the interior is a
little unconventional.
It's just about the cheapest tap/faucet you can get. They are good
for ten years. They are prone to limescale getting in the thread and
either the tap seizes up or gets very stiff/restricted movement.
London has lots of lime in the water.
It may clean up or the thread may be buggered.
He has PMed me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 6:46*am, harry wrote:
On Sep 9, 4:38*pm, harry wrote:

[...]

I cant get the brass bit off (still). If I buy a new tap, will I still
have to remove that brass bit? May just replace the whole thing.

Under the wash basin:
Wide view: http://picpaste.com/P1070576-qk3Ijcyv.JPG
Closer: http://picpaste.com/P1070577-MPPxRLEC.JPG

Don't know why I put these here. Maybe someone's got another tip for
me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"London Gent" wrote in message

My cold tap doesn't work - it just runs a dribble when turned on.

I don't know if this is the problem or not, but in the U.S. at least,
new faucets are now all "low flow" meaning they have small holes in
the faucet itself or in the aerator...

....and old plumbing pipes have a problem where particles inside the
pipes will break off and flow in the pipe to the faucet...

The particles are small, but larger than the new faucet small hole
openings! Thus these new faucets get clogged easily and very little
water flows. (The old faucets had large openings and this problem
would not occur.) You would just need to clean out the aerator every
now and then.

One solution is to install "spin down" water filters under the sink.
One for hot and another for cold. These have screens in them and a
drain at the bottom. You can clean the filter by opening the drain
about once a year or as needed. No costly filter replacements to buy.

They sell these at a plumber's plumbing supply or search google.com
for the words...
spin down water filter

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 1:44*pm, London Gent wrote:
On Sep 10, 6:46*am, harry wrote:

On Sep 9, 4:38*pm, harry wrote:

[...]

me.- Hide quoted text -

No, you wouldn't have to remove that bit. I would secure the
assistance of someone a bit stronger. If you get a new tap I would
also replace the flexible pipe underneath as well.
You may find the nut that secures the tap pretty tight as well as
awkward to get at. There are special spanners for this nut..

Name of fixing. David Paste[_2_] UK diy 4 July 1st 11 11:35 PM
A/C Needs Fixing HvacTech2 Home Repair 19 July 3rd 05 06:57 PM
Fixing thru DPM Magician UK diy 1 March 8th 05 07:26 PM
Fixing through DPM Magician UK diy 0 March 6th 05 01:27 PM
Help with cam fixing TrailRat Woodworking 3 February 23rd 05 10:07 AM